Fast Food Workers Strikes = Win for better health

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Reading all the comments it's funny to see how someone can be labeled an elitist just because they feel people should work hard to earn the things they get as opposed to having government intervention to make it so that everyone is on part with each other. Saying that we should give fast food workers 15 dollars is basically devaluing other people who worked hard to earn their wage. But who care about us right? Because we don't live in poverty.

This whole thread is funny... I love watching people get their panties in a wad when the poor try to make better for themselves.
    Making themselves better by simply asking for their wages to be doubled? Yea makes sense.

So would it be okay for me to turn around and say that now I should be able to demand $22 an hour to do my EMS job in NY because now the fast food cashier makes as much as me? I mean I think my job is a little more skilled.

You should be able to demand it... I think EMT's are underpaid as most jobs in this country. That is your right to demand what you want. Which is what the fast food workers are doing.

This. My brother is a paramedic with a private company right now (he's just started his fire science accreditation so he can work for a city), and I was shocked to find out he barely made more than I do when I work in, guess what, retail.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Reading all the comments it's funny to see how someone can be labeled an elitist just because they feel people should work hard to earn the things they get as opposed to having government intervention to make it so that everyone is on part with each other. Saying that we should give fast food workers 15 dollars is basically devaluing other people who worked hard to earn their wage. But who care about us right? Because we don't live in poverty.

This whole thread is funny... I love watching people get their panties in a wad when the poor try to make better for themselves.
    Making themselves better by simply asking for their wages to be doubled? Yea makes sense.

So would it be okay for me to turn around and say that now I should be able to demand $22 an hour to do my EMS job in NY because now the fast food cashier makes as much as me? I mean I think my job is a little more skilled.

You should be able to demand it... I think EMT's are underpaid as most jobs in this country. That is your right to demand what you want. Which is what the fast food workers are doing.
    I wonder how much support we would get if we all went on strike and showed up ti no one's house when the call 911. How many would not support us because I'm not living in "poverty" and worked hard to move up slowly.

I am sure the fast food workers were thinking the same thing before they decided to strike. You want something you demand it. *shrug*
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Anyone know how much the average salary is for a police officer? srs question.

Varies greatly depending on area. But for a moderate city like I'm in the starting salary is only around 45K.

However unions ensure that they get regular raises, there is a clear path for promotion based on service, and most of all there are incredibly lucrative opportunities in regards to overtime pay.

In the city I live in, the highest paid employees in the entire city are public safety employees. Not the Mayor, not City Council...cops, firemen, and paramedics make the highest wage of any city employee.

Thank you for that, I honestly thought it would be much less.
  • randomtai
    Options

Varies greatly depending on area. But for a moderate city like I'm in the starting salary is only around 45K.

However unions ensure that they get regular raises, there is a clear path for promotion based on service, and most of all there are incredibly lucrative opportunities in regards to overtime pay.

In the city I live in, the highest paid employees in the entire city are public safety employees. Not the Mayor, not City Council...cops, firemen, and paramedics make the highest wage of any city employee.

There goes your point. LOL :laugh: :laugh:
  • randomtai
    Options
    Or is it more of a "anyone who isn't me" doesn't deserve a raise type of thing?

I am going with this... winner winner chicken dinner!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    So this whole thing about people being paid more or refusing to work is a good thing. That means these places will have less workers to sling unhealthy junk foods! its a good thing!

The only thing unhealthy is YOUR choices! You can go to ANY fast food place and make very healthy choices but you'd rather see them out of work, with no income because you cannot make good choices AND 'these workers' are no different than YOU... the pay rent, lights, car and all other life expenses JUST LIKE housekeepers, yard workers, retail workers and many, many more... all of whom typically work two jobs to service your needs but you want to be cheap!
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

There goes your point. LOL :laugh: :laugh:

Not entirely, If minimum wage were raised to $15/hr then the average pay for an officer in my area, $18/hr, would hardly be worth the inherent dangers of such work.

oh, LOL..
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Every time I hear someone say that minimum wage makes things better for the poor, I instantly know that person either 1) knows nothing about economics and/or 2) values symbolic / feel good actions over substantive, effective actions
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Saying someone who works fast food doesn't work hard is ignorant. I worked there during college, started as a regular crew member, ended as an assistant manager (the joke was that I had a lot more responsibility, but maybe a dollar or two more in pay than the crew).

The job is highly stressful for little pay and zero appreciation. The general public tends to be rude and condescending to you, a place to take out their frustrations. You have to strive to be quick AND accurate, or they'll let you know it.

Heck, when I was 14 and worked at Subway, one man came in and ordered a sandwich, and I started cutting the bread how we were trained to and he started yelling at me because he wanted it cut a particular way but he never told me (I was somehow suppose to read his mind). That was years and years ago, but I will probably remember the way he treated me until the day I die.

You have to be on your feet for long hours (I had 10 hour shifts), lift heavy boxes, filter and scrub fryers and broilers, clean up after people that leave their trays and trash on the tables, take food out to customers if it will take a bit longer than usual (without the tip), scrub bathrooms and toilets, mop the entire restaurant, scrub tables, wash dishes. God forbid there is a play area like we had, then you found yourself cleaning up kid pee and puke on top of that. I also had to work with balancing cash drawers, deposits, secure the store (I worked nights), and prepare the nightly sales reports.

They are customer service, food prep, janitors, etc all wrapped up in one, accept at a much lower pay. And if you are regular crew, you can expect 15-20 hours a week. Heck, as an assistant manager, nonsalaried, my "full" time was 32 hours.

I'm not saying the job requires tons of pay. There's definitely something called a pay scale, for taking the initiative and risk of schooling and going into debt, and the opportunity costs thereof.

Just don't say that people that work fast food aren't hard workers, or unskilled. They have their own skill sets that develop and can carry over to other types of employment.

The majority of my crew were hard workers, I only had a few problem people and those I had to find creative ways to get them to actually earn their check. Heck, if I had to send someone home to watch my labor percentage, usually those would be the first I would send unless I knew one of my good workers needed time for college or personal reasons, in which I'd give them the option if they wanted.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Has anyone directly said "fast food workers are lazy?" It's hard to call anyone in any industry lazy without actually being by their side to witness it. Would anyone deny that working FF sucks really hard?
  • randomtai
    Options
    Has anyone directly said "fast food workers are lazy?" It's hard to call anyone in any industry lazy without actually being by their side to witness it. Would anyone deny that working FF sucks really hard?

The whole thread is resonating with that sentiment. :noway:
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

Interpretations.

Go Cowboys!
  • randomtai
    Options

Interpretations.

Go Cowboys!

:laugh:
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

Interpretations.

Go Cowboys!

Whats funny? Obviously we have different opinions, as do others in the thread.
  • randomtai
    Options

Interpretations.

Go Cowboys!

Whats funny? Obviously we have different opinions, as do others in the thread.

As I said earlier, the whole thread is funny to me as most things on MFP.