Fast Food Workers Strikes = Win for better health

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    A lot of UNSKILLED workers are unskilled because they were born into poverty and never had the opportunity to go to school to learn a SKILL that would enable them to get a higher paying job.

So what are they supposed to do, work three minimum wage jobs just to get by?

Everyone has the right to make enough money to flipping survive on. I work two jobs, I make more than minimum wage, I live alone, and I am barely getting by.

I don't know about where you are, but in Dallas there's free job training for nearly every job you can think of. Few people are taking advantage of it. It's hard to have sympathy when people work at McDonald's, whine about the pay and then don't go take any of these great free courses the state offers.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the argument that privilege or money is required to get an education. Anyone can go to a community college. The poorer you are, the more grant money you get. Most community colleges provide child care, which is also free to low income students.

Except that the more taxes are cut, the less grant money is available for low-income students.

No, absolutely not. There are a lot of government programs that provide assistance, and you can work a minimum wage job like I did and barely scrape by.

You can also learn on the job, or work your way up from the bottom at a minimum wage job.

My husband does not have a college education, nor did he receive special job skills training. He found an entry level position that requires hard physical work, passing a drug screen, and taking a job-sponsored course to prepare for a licensing exam. He makes much more than minimum wage, although he works outside all day in 110 degree heat, which is much HARDER than working at McDonalds, and many people would not be willing to do it.

I put myself through community college/nursing school working a minimum wage job and paying for all tuition and books out of pocket -- no loans or grants. My family was not particularly supportive and my generation (sister and cousins) were the first to go to college.

It can be done if you want it bad enough, but it is HARD, unlike working a mindless fast food job, which sucks.

Bully for you - what if you aren't 'college' clever?

Do you deserve to live in the gutter?

Edit: My post didn't save...

Not at all.

My husband has no college degree. He did not have any special job skills, other than cooking in restaurant kitchens, when he applied for his current position. He is a very hard worker, can pass a drug screen, and was willing to learn on the job and study at home to pass a licensing exam. He works outside all day in 110 degree heat and makes quite a bit more than minimum wage, but it is a very HARD job, unlike the time I spent working in fast food.

There are many ways to work yourself up in life. In fact, management positions at fast food restaurants pay relatively well and have decent benefits packages. Many managers are promoted from within and provided job training.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    For the record, minimum wages over time and what they're worth adjusted for inflation.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0774473.html
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    The fact is that the minimum wage has stayed the same, while the purchasing power of the dollar has gone down. See the chart in the link below which compares what the minimum wage was at various times at "current level" dollars:

http://www.dol.gov/minwage/minwage-gdp-history.htm

The cost of living has already increased incredibly since 2008 -- housing, food, fuel, you name it, while wages have remained stagnant. Those who argue that prices will have to go way up again are ignoring the fact that prices have already gone way up, and not because companies are paying workers more. If one sticks to the argument that if wages rise, prices will rise, so we shouldn'[t raise wages, then we would never raise wages. Why don't we just pay our workers what they pay in Bangladesh -- that will keep the price of everything low?

By the way, in Mass., many of my associates who were small business owners actually paid above minimum wage because they had an interest in keeping their employees and insuring the same level of continuity and service to their customers. Those fighting the minimum wage -- big corporations making huge profits who see employees as cogs in the wheel. There are also some companies like GAP and Costco that have gone public in their commitment to pay their employees above minimum wage. Gee, I just bought a brand new workout outfit at GAP with my Rewards -- $26.00 -- it didn't exactly break the bank.

It's possible to pay a fair wage and make a profit. However, some companies decide that there's never enough profit.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm not really following your logic here, sorry.

Yeah me either. All the company has to do is fire those people who refuse to go to work and hire more.

It's not the fast food industry's fault that people are obese. No one is forcing you to eat it 24/7.

My thoughts exactly!
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying that Minimum wage is not meant to be a Livable wage: That is absolutely its intent.

From the Fair Labor Standards act of 1938 (the thing that created minimum wage):

§ 202. Congressional finding and declaration of policy
    (a) The Congress finds that the existence, in industries engaged in commerce or in
    the production of goods for commerce, of labor conditions detrimental to the
    maintenance of the minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency, and
    general well-being of workers

(b) It is declared to be the policy of this chapter, through the exercise by Congress
    of its power to regulate commerce among the several States and with foreign
    nations, to correct and as rapidly as practicable to eliminate the conditions above
    referred to in such industries without substantially curtailing employment or earning
    power.

That pretty clearly states that minimum wage should be a livable wage.

Sullus and those that concurred. I <3 all of you.

To those more concerned with how other people being able to make a living wage will make your money seem like less, or who don't want others to be able to pay rent because you didn't get a raise this year, you are the epitome of what is wrong with society.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Ummm... y'all are angry because fast food workers would like to be paid a fair wage?

My uncle worked in Wal-mart his entire life. He retired a millionaire because he used his money wisely, invested it and made something from that 'minimum wage' job.

I work in retail and many of my coworkers have held their job for 25 years or more. To them it IS a career. It is their ONLY career. SOMEBODY has to do these jobs so why shouldn't it be a career?

Somebody insinuated these jobs are meant to be stepping stones to REAL jobs? Really? And who is going to pay for that education for these people to acquire REAL careers if they're only barely making enough to make ends meet? Hmmmm?

Gosh guys. Check your privilege.

Maybe.. just maybe if they didn't buy $330 shoes or buy a $600 smart phone they would have the money to pay for that education.

Comments like this completely piss me off. My best friend is a single mom of 3 boys, because her now ex-husband was an abusive slimeball and is now in jail for things he did. She worked full time at a retail job while raising these 3 kids to put herself through college, and graduated with a Bachelors degree. Guess what? Economy tanked. Couldn't get a job in anything other than, you guessed it, retail.

She shares a house with her mother and sister (so the 3 boys, her sister, herself and her mom) to save on money. Two of those boys are now in college. One is an honor student. She busts her behind to pay the bills but still struggles. She does have a smartphone on her mom's plan because it was free to get that phone. She shops as thrift stores and walmart because it's what she can afford.

Making it sound like all people on minimum wage do stupid stuff with their money is just being asinine.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Ummm... y'all are angry because fast food workers would like to be paid a fair wage?

My uncle worked in Wal-mart his entire life. He retired a millionaire because he used his money wisely, invested it and made something from that 'minimum wage' job.

I work in retail and many of my coworkers have held their job for 25 years or more. To them it IS a career. It is their ONLY career. SOMEBODY has to do these jobs so why shouldn't it be a career?

Somebody insinuated these jobs are meant to be stepping stones to REAL jobs? Really? And who is going to pay for that education for these people to acquire REAL careers if they're only barely making enough to make ends meet? Hmmmm?

Maybe.. just maybe if they didn't buy $330 shoes or buy a $600 smart phone they would have the money to pay for that education.

Comments like this completely piss me off. .....

Why?

It was an utterly ignorant comment made by someone who is clearly stupid.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    But I :heart: Whataburger. :love:
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This goes so far beyond the fast food industry. I will get on my soapbox for just a moment, if you'll allow me.
    A bit of background (mine): I have 3 Bachelor's Degrees, along with several Associate's Degrees. (somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen) 2 of these degrees are in Paramedicine and I have been a Paramedic for over 20 years. This job is my passion. No, I do NOT want to be a doctor. No, I do NOT want to be a nurse. I am a Paramedic. I am there for people on their worst day and I make a difference. I am NOT simply an ambulance driver. I am highly skilled and work in what is basically a mobile emergency room without the benefit of all the support staff available in a hospital/clinic environment. I also do this in a rural area and am on my own with a patient and a partner for sometimes up to 90 minutes. I do what I love, no complaints, seriously. I do, however, find it absolutely ridiculous that fast food workers in my area make more money than I do. Again, I realize that this is my choice, my chosen career. Even if minimum wage were to be raised, I am sure that my pay would remain the same. Medicare reimbursement only gets less and less each year, (Thank you US Congress.) and in the system in which I work, the Medicare Pay Schedule is what drives wages.
    Enough about me, what about teachers? Many make less than $15/hour if you average it out over the year. Should they make less than the person cooking and wrapping your lunch? Our priorities as a society are very skewed. Raising the minimum wage is nothing but a bandaid on a much bigger problem. It's not about skilled or unskilled, this is just where the "story" is.
    Off my soapbox now. Thanks for reading.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Quite, if you raise the price of your product, less people will buy it...
    Hmmm, that hasn't stopped people who smoke from buying cigarettes or people from purchasing alcohol. These are items that aren't essential like food, gas or housing either.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

Comments like this completely piss me off. .....

Why?

It was an utterly ignorant comment made by someone who is clearly stupid.

...Good point. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Congress and their retirement: Incoming class of '11 average net worth over $1 million dollars. Rep Issa of Cali net worth $480 million; Rep McCaul net worth just above $500 million, yes take their retirement benefits that will teach them.

Oh, the average Americans net worth is below $70,000.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Some information on how raising minimum wage would affect the economy and some demographics on who currently earns minimum wage.

http://www.epi.org/publication/ib341-raising-federal-minimum-wage/

13 states raised their minimum wage in January and have seen good economic growth since then.

Interesting. Because if you take job growth of New Jersey, Connecticut, Vermont, New York, Montana, and Arizona (6 of the 13) since they increased the wage rate combined they do not equal Nevada. And the hits just keep on coming!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The fact is that the minimum wage has stayed the same, while the purchasing power of the dollar has gone down. See the chart in the link below which compares what the minimum wage was at various times at "current level" dollars:

http://www.dol.gov/minwage/minwage-gdp-history.htm

The cost of living has already increased incredibly since 2008 -- housing, food, fuel, you name it, while wages have remained stagnant. Those who argue that prices will have to go way up again are ignoring the fact that prices have already gone way up, and not because companies are paying workers more. If one sticks to the argument that if wages rise, prices will rise, so we shouldn'[t raise wages, then we would never raise wages. Why don't we just pay our workers what they pay in Bangladesh -- that will keep the price of everything low?

By the way, in Mass., many of my associates who were small business owners actually paid above minimum wage because they had an interest in keeping their employees and insuring the same level of continuity and service to their customers. Those fighting the minimum wage -- big corporations making huge profits who see employees as cogs in the wheel. There are also some companies like GAP and Costco that have gone public in their commitment to pay their employees above minimum wage. Gee, I just bought a brand new workout outfit at GAP with my Rewards -- $26.00 -- it didn't exactly break the bank.

It's possible to pay a fair wage and make a profit. However, some companies decide that there's never enough profit.

Not to mention that CEO pay has increased exponentially compared to min wage. Corporations don't seem to think that's a problem for their bottom lines.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Comments like this completely piss me off. My best friend is a single mom of 3 boys, because her now ex-husband was an abusive slimeball and is now in jail for things he did. She worked full time at a retail job while raising these 3 kids to put herself through college, and graduated with a Bachelors degree. Guess what? Economy tanked. Couldn't get a job in anything other than, you guessed it, retail.

She shares a house with her mother and sister (so the 3 boys, her sister, herself and her mom) to save on money. Two of those boys are now in college. One is an honor student. She busts her behind to pay the bills but still struggles. She does have a smartphone on her mom's plan because it was free to get that phone. She shops as thrift stores and walmart because it's what she can afford.

Making it sound like all people on minimum wage do stupid stuff with their money is just being asinine.

QFT
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I think all the people on this thread who believe that the minimum wage should be $15 or higher should immediately contribute some of their salary to the cause. Its really easy to rail against CEO's investors etc.. and say what should be done with their money but its another to pony up your own money..
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading through 10 pages of this garbage, but when you say these people don't deserve a wage increase what you're really saying is, "The person who works a minimum wage job doesn't deserve a home, a family, food on their table, or clothes on their back."

You think just because it's "unskilled" labor means that these people don't deserve to live the same life that you get to enjoy? With a roof over their head and food in their stomachs?

The attitudes of some of the people commenting make me absolutely sick.

Take a step back and realize that some people are working three jobs just to enjoy the things that you take for granted.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading through 10 pages of this garbage, but when you say these people don't deserve a wage increase what you're really saying is, "The person who works a minimum wage job doesn't deserve a home, a family, food on their table, or clothes on their back."

You think just because it's "unskilled" labor means that these people don't deserve to live the same life that you get to enjoy? With a roof over their head and food in their stomachs?

The attitudes of some of the people commenting make me absolutely sick.

Take a step back and realize that some people are working three jobs just to enjoy the things that you take for granted.

No what I'm really saying is the minimum wage and entry level positions are designed to give people a chance to break into the job market and gain skills.

I take nothing for granted...I have worked my way up in life
    Everyone can not everyone will

I take nothing for granted...