Fast Food Workers Strikes = Win for better health

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    For what its worth - I have an MSc (in an actual science) and scientists are some of the least politically informed people I have ever met.

Interesting, most people I interact with hold PhDs in the sciences or math, they are the most politically informed people I've come across, even moreso than a lot of the political middlemen I've worked with in the past.

Wonder why.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    What people don't understand is that cost of living and inflation rise independently of that to begin with and if wages don't rise accordingly people end up with less money because everything is more expensive but they still make the same amount of money.

Only undereducated people don't understand that.

Educated people understand the actual impact a higher minimum wage does, both in model form and in practical terms. Simply put, it allows people a higher quality of life, and doesn't have a tangible impact on cost of living.

However, it's far more politically convenient to crow that it will cause an increase in cost of living. Granted, it may increase the cost of a big mac for the short term.

So why not make minimum wage $30 per hour then, if it doesn't effect the cost of living? And when has a price increase ever been short term?
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Another component that keeps people trapped in low wage conditions are the life choices that they have made. Statistical evidence shows that getting pregnant while young and unmarried is a major factor in women remaining in low wage jobs. The converse is also true, waiting to have a child until you are older and married majorly increases the likelihood of you NOT remaining poor. Unfortunately when people preach this to people today they are called names and demonized as being anti-__________ whatever fits the political agenda.

Unfortunately, a person can make all the right "life choices" and still end up in a financially precarious situation due to circumstances beyond his or her control. If someone loses a good-paying job due to an economic downturn, a company going out of business, or offshoring, they might not have a choice but to take a low-wage job to try to keep afloat. Factor in that they also probably lost health insurance and it's a double whammy, especially if they get sick or injured. I definitely agree with you on the pregnancy issue though. It's an excellent argument for low-cost, easily accessible birth control.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    So this whole thing about people being paid more or refusing to work is a good thing. That means these places will have less workers to sling unhealthy junk foods! its a good thing!
    Lol, other people will take their place. And there really isn't such a thing as "unhealthy" foods. There are foods that are "less nutritious", but if one attained their correct macros had room for junk food calories and ate them, it wouldn't cause an "unhealthy" issue.
    Heck I've eaten Mcdonald's since I was 10 so for 40 years I've ate junk food at least once a week. Hardly unhealthy from doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    woops
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    What people don't understand is that cost of living and inflation rise independently of that to begin with and if wages don't rise accordingly people end up with less money because everything is more expensive but they still make the same amount of money.

Educated people understand the actual impact a higher minimum wage does, both in model form and in practical terms. Simply put, it allows people a higher quality of life, and doesn't have a tangible impact on cost of living.

However, it's far more politically convenient to crow that it will cause an increase in cost of living. Granted, it may increase the cost of a big mac for the short term.

Really? You honestly believe that if the minimum wage is increased that companies won't in turn raise their prices to offset the cost of paying allllll these people more?

Must be nice living in your bubble.
  • dbmata
    Options

So why not make minimum wage $30 per hour then, if it doesn't effect the cost of living? And when has a price increase ever been short term?

You're not asking a real question with your first question. Your second: Often. Just look for a half minute on the commodities market.
  • dbmata
    Options

Really? You honestly believe that if the minimum wage is increased that companies won't in turn raise their prices to offset the cost of paying allllll these people more?

Judging by your posts on a couple other threads, you're the one living in a fantasy bubble land. :)

I'd invite you to take a macroeconomics class. You'll learn that pretty quickly. There's a couple factors, small, easy to overlook things like competition, market forces, and simple innovation just to point to a couple basic economic forces that would prevent an "ermagerd-price-ageddon!"
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    So this whole thing about people being paid more or refusing to work is a good thing. That means these places will have less workers to sling unhealthy junk foods! its a good thing!
    Lol, other people will take their place. And there really isn't such a thing as "unhealthy" foods. There are foods that are "less nutritious", but if one attained their correct macros had room for junk food calories and ate them, it wouldn't cause an "unhealthy" issue.
    Heck I've eaten Mcdonald's since I was 10 so for 40 years I've ate junk food at least once a week. Hardly unhealthy from doing it.

IDEA Fitness member

Oh, you fitnessy-type people with your dumb macros and calorie counting and stuff! Don't you *ever* quit??
    :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    What we should be doing is APPLYING more to minimum wage by taking away retirement from Congress. Win, win.

IDEA Fitness member
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    What we should be doing is APPLYING more to minimum wage by taking away retirement from Congress. Win, win.

If they were either millionaires to start with or get lobbying jobs after they leave Congress, they definitely don't need retirement benefits!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Judging by your posts on a couple other threads, you're the one living in a fantasy bubble land. :)

I'd invite you to take a macroeconomics class. You'll learn that pretty quickly. There's a couple factors, small, easy to overlook things like competition, market forces, and simple innovation just to point to a couple basic economic forces that would prevent an "ermagerd-price-ageddon!"

And you probably also think that there's no such thing as inflation and that the dollar isn't going to collapse either.

I don't live in a fantasy bubble land. I live in reality.
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    I don't buy the argument that privilege or money is required to get an education. Anyone can go to a community college. The poorer you are, the more grant money you get. Most community colleges provide child care, which is also free to low income students.

Except that the more taxes are cut, the less grant money is available for low-income students.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

You're not asking a real question with your first question. Your second: Often. Just look for a half minute on the commodities market.

Most small businesses scrape by and struggle year to year to stay in business. Think of a convenience store that employs 5 people and makes pennies of profit on most of its products. Now impose a $2 per hour labor wage increase. For full time employees, that is about $4,000 a year each, or $20,000 a year total. A $20,000 hit could send a business under. So where does that extra money come from? Cut an employee altogether or make a few of them part time, maybe hire one under the table, and raise the prices of your goods.

You aren't dealing with wholesale commodities, you are dealing in retail sales, so that 5 cent increase on a candy bar or 10 cent increase on a gallon of milk will be imposed by the store owner in response to the labor market, not by the commodity market, and it will be permanently that high, because there will never be a repeal on a minimum wage increase.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Quite, if you raise the price of your product, less people will buy it...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the argument that privilege or money is required to get an education. Anyone can go to a community college. The poorer you are, the more grant money you get. Most community colleges provide child care, which is also free to low income students.

Except that the more taxes are cut, the less grant money is available for low-income students.

I put myself through community college/nursing school working a minimum wage job and paying for all tuition and books out of pocket -- no loans or grants. My family was not particularly supportive and my generation (sister and cousins) were the first to go to college.

It can be done if you want it bad enough, but it is HARD, unlike working a mindless fast food job, which sucks.
  • pepperpat64
    Options

I put myself through community college/nursing school working a minimum wage job and paying for all tuition and books out of pocket -- no loans or grants. My family was not particularly supportive and my generation (sister and cousins) were the first to go to college.

It can be done if you want it bad enough, but it is HARD, unlike working a mindless fast food job, which sucks.

I paid for my college degrees with a combination of work, grants, scholarships, and as a last resort, loans. But you and I are of a generation when college costs weren't absurdly high, grant money was relatively easy to get, and student loans weren't the domain of for-profit banks. Much has changed since then. IMO, it shouldn't be *hard* for anyone to get an education of whatever sort they want, if they want one.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Bully for you - what if you aren't 'college' clever?

Do you deserve to live in the gutter?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I have a Bachelor's degree and 6 years of experience in my field. I live in a rural area and make less than $10 an hour more than the current minimum wage. If minimum wage goes up by $7 (here in NY), the value of my job goes in the toilet.

Last year they raised minimum wage in NY. Due to inflation, the cost of my childcare and groceries went but my salary stayed the same. So who's really getting screwed here?
    Short story: Everyone is screwed. Including the government.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I get tired of hearing that minimum wages is not 'meant to' pay a living wage. The reality is people are forced to use these jobs to support themselves because they can't get anything else that pays better. It's a cycle that people cannot escape from. People should not have to live in poverty to line the pockets of executives and shareholders who contribute nothing. At least the guy flipping burgers is making someone lunch. A shareholder does zilch but take money from the company and yet it's somehow more important to make them happy than the people who's labor makes the company run.

A shareholder invests money ie capital into the company... They take a risk whenever investing. So they don't have a right to expect a return on their investment??? If the shareholders didn't invest their money they guy flipping the burgers in wouldn't have a job...

Its really sad that the only fall back position is the evil corporations and shareholdrs line their pockets off the backs of the minimum wage worker.....

People can always work hard to change their circumstances. Yes that's not easy to do but can be done...It has been proven time and time again. Its Hard and unfortunately most people don't want to wok that hard its easier to blame others for their circumstances