DO I REALLY NEED TO GIVE UP CARBS

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    Only processed white carbs like apples and potatoes.
    Troll much?

I think it was a tongue in cheek joke that people took seriously - not a troll post. :wink:
  • cjudesaenz
    cjudesaenz Posts: 67 Member
    Options

LOL WUT??? Read you might learn something .....
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options

Amazing how many people thought the same comment was actually serious.

Lol.
    Exactly what I was thinking
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    Options

Amazing how many people thought the same comment was actually serious.

Lol.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmWH_zndhTi5PJEJvBnm3XQfGu3JNkWeUJE_XxoHugZEyOdTd_xA
  • trazniewski
    trazniewski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly! (or sarcastic.) It doesn't become you. If the person who originally posted the question is having trouble with hitting their latest goal weight (or whatever measure you would like to use) then 'tricking' (my term) the body into a desired response to food by changing the balance of nutrients on a regular cycle (carb cycling) may help them achieve their goal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Troll much?

I think it was a tongue in cheek joke that people took seriously - not a troll post. :wink:
    The OP was asking a serious question, no?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly! (or sarcastic.) It doesn't become you. If the person who originally posted the question is having trouble with hitting their latest goal weight (or whatever measure you would like to use) then 'tricking' (my term) the body into a desired response to food by changing the balance of nutrients on a regular cycle (carb cycling) may help them achieve their goal.
    I think it might be time to lighten up.
    Troll much?

Yea. But.........sarcasm.
    Sure. And does everyone who visits know that? Nope.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Troll much?

Honestly, anyone who didn't figure that one out should be a little embarrassed.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    Options
    Troll much?

Most probably did. Personally I enjoy the sarcasm, but that's just the way I roll. The original remark was pretty obvious in it's intent.....unless you believe that an apple is a bad carb........whoops, lots think fruit is the devil....because sugar.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Love sarcasm.

Honestly though, sugar, in whatever form, IS bad for some people. Especially those with insulin resistance. So technically, fruit IS the devil (for them). And potatoes. And I am a devil for bringing it up. :wink:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Love sarcasm.

Honestly though, sugar, in whatever form, IS bad for some people. Especially those with insulin resistance. So technically, fruit IS the devil (for them). And potatoes. And I am a devil for bringing it up. :wink:

Some people who have medical conditions benefit from lower carbs. Lower though. Not none.

However, from OP's post history, she is not one of those people. And generally in the forums it can be assumed that advice given assumes no medical conditions. That's why if a person has a medical condition it's important to mention it when asking for advice.
  • mandez19
    Options

Apples and potatoes are processed?

Everything is processes unless the food grows inside of you.
  • moautry
    moautry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It depends. There's no easy answer. If simply cutting calories isn't working, then its the carbs. And you don't "give up" carbs, you cut them back to about 20% of you total calorie intake, give or take. And try to get those carbs from vegetable and dairy sources instead of grains and sweeteners. If you lower your ratio of carbs to fat/protein, you don't really need to watch the calories so much. I personally prefer cutting carbs over cutting fat. Much tastier and easier to stick to longer. But its hard sometimes to go against the cultural tide of our grain based diet. (Which is why we have weight and health problems.)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Love sarcasm.

Some people who have medical conditions benefit from lower carbs. Lower though. Not none.

However, from OP's post history, she is not one of those people. And generally in the forums it can be assumed that advice given assumes no medical conditions. That's why if a person has a medical condition it's important to mention it when asking for advice.

True. I think it really is best to avoid making assumptions though, because we are people and make omissions, sometimes unintentionally. There are a lot of people who are here because they overconsumed sugars in a big way. That had consequences on their health and body processes. And not everyone gets a diagnosis. Doctors don't know everything either.

Zero carbs is do-able, but not impossible. It is hard though. Personally, I'm a low-carber and I keep mine at 20g-ish. It works best for me. (In maintenance I will up to net carbs.) Other people, can do it. But I'm no saint. Point being though, that people are all individuals; different beings with different DNA. There is no one-size-fits-all. I think that I would never get a flat tummy with a high-carb diet. But someone else with a different genetic make-up might. The important thing is to tinker with your choice and amount of fuel and find your personal sweet-spot, then work it for all its worth. A forum, while able to offer helpful suggestions and information, can't make that determination for you.