DO I REALLY NEED TO GIVE UP CARBS

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    carbs are death,..... to people like me...type 2 diabetic....i eat maybe 10 to 15 grams of carbs a day....but then again...im 61 and an old fart and not really concerned about a flat tummy....

PALEO eating has worked wonders for me though....PALEO in itself is not a low low carb diet but it can be....

i have been on this plan for 3 months now and have cured about all that is wrong with me....

just sayin....

Oh, praise Paleo. What did it you cure of? Did you get turned into a newt?!
    cc287e44b6036a8c53ad2b057a51ebd7.jpg
    Likely all those same things that he would have been cured of had he controlled his blood sugar and got enough protein, fruits, and vegetables using any other diet...
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    No ... that is TOTAL BULL****.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    No.

Besides looking left as proof of knowledge

Last summer I did keto and can say I not only gained it all back but now that I do iffym and log honestly with lifting. I finally have abs.

If you fr me you can see my pics w explanations

#ilovepizza
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

Ignore the time of day thing. It does not matter when you eat your carbs.

I am about to certify as a physical trainer and yes if you eat complex carbs for dinner unless you are doing a late workout they just sit in your system while you are watching tv and sleeping. . .

now fruit and veggies in the evening are okay. but breads rices, and pastas should be eaten earlier in the day.

So what if they sit in my system? You're telling me my body shuts down completely at night and that the activity I do throughout the day or even the next day doesn't matter? Game over? Or?

Because...this entire pint of gelato I'm eating tonight RIGHT before bed is still gonna happen because 53 lbs lost and considerably amount of body fat lost later....I think I'm doing okay. You can keep your quackery.

If you need a second reference to this you might pick up a copy of BOB HARPERS BOOK " Skinny Meals" And Please feel free to tell him as a physical trainer that he doesn't know what he is talking about. . . I think his record speaks for itself!:smile:

Isn't that the Biggest Loser guy who recommends 800 calorie diets? Yeah, no, I don't consider him a reputable source. Do you have others? Did you look at the article that I linked? It has studies attached.

I guess that's a no.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    No... I don't think so either. My diet is around 50% carbs...which I eat anytime, often just before I go to bed...like tonight! :smile:
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Here's a site with a bunch of hoo-hah on a diet for bodybuilders. I thought cutting was something else. :tongue:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

Dude says don't cut out carbs. I believe him because he could crush me with his bicep.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by carbs .... and if you are Insulin Resitant or have Diabeties. There are really only 3 food sources .... carbohydrates, protein, fat. That's it. So NO .... do not cut carbs out of our meals. Just choose the better ones.
    Oreos are the bestest, Choose oreos #oreosforpresident

I agree about the Oreos ... but they do not like me very much so I gave them up in favor of peaches.
  • NK1112
    Options
    Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

I am about to certify as a physical trainer and yes if you eat complex carbs for dinner unless you are doing a late workout they just sit in your system while you are watching tv and sleeping. . .

now fruit and veggies in the evening are okay. but breads rices, and pastas should be eaten earlier in the day.

I can attest to this from my own personal experience ... have gotten back on the losing track by limiting my starchy carbs like breads, rice, pasta to the early part of the day and have vegetable carbs with protein for evening.
  • NK1112
    Options
    She was asking about a tight tummy. Does this sort of thinking come from the fact that cutting carbs to almost nothing drops the water weight that hide muscle definition? Some even say that removing carbs can reduce "puffiness".

I think you've got it.
  • NK1112
    Options
    You don't need to cut carbs entirely in my opinon. After all there is carbs in a banana and they are extremely healthy and bursting with energy. If you want to watch carbs, then cut down on the amount of pasta and white rice you eat. Try brown rice instead as it has less carbs I believe and has so much more flavour anyway

Brown rice has the same amount of carbs but is a whole grain and therefore more healthful due to more nutritional value.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Just lay off of multiple filled donuts. Those kinds of carbs might not be very conducive to weight loss.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I can attest to this from my own personal experience ... have gotten back on the losing track by limiting my starchy carbs like breads, rice, pasta to the early part of the day and have vegetable carbs with protein for evening.

It's fine to do that if you like. But it's not necessary. I've done pretty much the opposite.

http://iifym.com/carbs-at-night/
  • NK1112
    Options
    You don't need to cut carbs entirely in my opinon. After all there is carbs in a banana and they are extremely healthy and bursting with energy. If you want to watch carbs, then cut down on the amount of pasta and white rice you eat. Try brown rice instead as it has less carbs I believe and has so much more flavour anyway

Brown rice has the same amount of carbs but is a whole grain and therefore more healthful due to more nutritional value.

The difference in nutritional value between brown rice and white rice is not significant. Especially in the scope of overall diet.

Especially since you aren't getting the nutrients you think you are getting from brown rice due to the phytic acid

You may be right about the nutrition, and I don't know what phytic acid is unless I look it up. I like both kinds of rice, but neither one very often.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    So I always appreciate hearing others views especially when they are informed answers from credible sources
    Unless they contradict you.

My trainer has a degree in nutrition too, and he is an awesome and motivating lifting coach. But even though we discuss food, he would never presume to give me nutritional advice, because he is not a registered dietitian. Use the right tool for the job.

What's to say you can't be a certified physical trainer and a registered dietitian? Just curious?

Yes, I guess it is possible someone could be both - but your'e not.
    and neither was this poster's trainer which is why he refrained from giveing advice outside his area of expertise.

The information you gave was nonsense - anyone with any nutritional knowledge knows that, one doesnt have to be qualified in anything to see it as obviously erroneous.

PS: always makes me laugh when people say Thats it, Im out of this thread - and then pop up again a short time later :laugh:
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No ma'am!
  • Greciankoukla
    Greciankoukla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No! People need to get Atkins and no carb diets out of their heads. We need carbs. Work out and keep calories down and you will lose. You just need to find what works for you. When people stop eating carbs they lose weight but then it comes right back when you start eating them again. And you will.

Stop counting macros too. It's all about eating healthy food and working out.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    No! People need to get Atkins and no carb diets out of their heads. We need carbs. Work out and keep calories down and you will lose. You just need to find what works for you. When people stop eating carbs they lose weight but then it comes right back when you start eating them again. And you will.

Stop counting macros too. It's all about eating healthy food and working out.
    How can you say "Keep calories down and you will lose" at the same time you say "Stop counting macros too. It's all about eating healthy food and working out"? Counting macros is an excellent way to control your calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Only processed white carbs like apples and potatoes.
    Troll much?