DO I REALLY NEED TO GIVE UP CARBS

Options
15678911»

Replies

• moautry
    moautry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BTW, its NET carbs, not total carbs. You subtract the fiber count from the carb count. And its true that when people go back to eating lots of carbs again they gain the weight back, because excess carbs make you fat. Its pretty simple.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    BTW, its NET carbs, not total carbs. You subtract the fiber count from the carb count. And its true that when people go back to eating lots of carbs again they gain the weight back, because excess carbs make you fat. Its pretty simple.
    Excess calories make you fat it is that simple
  • pennymaguire
    Options
    No! You need them for energy! Exercise and eat healthy! Low carb deprives you of many great food choices!
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, can you eat less carbs with no issues? If you have hard time doing that then cutting them for a little bit won't hurt. But if you can reduce your overall calories including carbs then you don't.

It depends on the person. For me cutting carbs helped me learn just how much I was eating and helped me stay full better. (Carbs didn't stay with me long before I was hungry again, now I don't notice this anymore but again I'm not eating like I use too)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Love sarcasm.

Honestly though, sugar, in whatever form, IS bad for some people. Especially those with insulin resistance. So technically, fruit IS the devil (for them). And potatoes. And I am a devil for bringing it up. :wink:
    And as always, all roads lead back to diabetes. People can't go 1 thread without giving advice as if everyone was a diabetic.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Did you see this part: "IS bad for SOME PEOPLE." I did capitalize those last two words for emphasis, since it looks like they were overlooked. :smile:

I would argue that many people who aren't diabetic are genetically predisposed to lean that way under certain conditions. For example, if I were to return to a higher carb diet, and stay there, I would eventually become a diabetic myself. So while I don't have diabetes, I'm taking steps to avoid the problem altogether. I don't think I'm wrong in thinking there are many people who visit this forum also might have this problem as well. We as a world, and my nation as a whole, seems to have a really problem with overconsumption of sugar. And there are consequences for MANY long-term for that behavior. That is fact. The leap to insulin/blood glucose issues down the road for MANY isn't an unreasonable one. But you are correct. EVERYONE on earth does not have diabetes.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! Most of my calories come from carbs. Check out my diary. Look at my tracker; I'm only 8lbs away from my goal. I started MFP when I weighed 196lbs back in November and now I weigh under 145. I not only eat carbs, but I eat carbs from SUGAR. REAL SUGAR!! I haven't given up ice cream or Reese's Cups or sugar and whole milk in my coffee.

Track your calories accurately by weighing you solid foods and measuring your liquids, log everything you eat, even if you go over your goals, get plenty of protein to support the muscle you already have so you don't lose it along with your fat, and don't follow fad diets such as low-fat, low-carb, liquid diets, etc. unless you were instructed to do so by a doctor due to a medical condition.

Just learn how to fit the foods you love into a diet with smaller portions. The only real changes I made were eating fewer calories overall and eating more protein. I have so much energy and I feel great. People seem to think weight loss has to be complicated or has to come along with a set of strict rules and regulations. It does NOT. Keep it simple, keep it realistic, keep it something that you can continue to do for the rest of your life.

FOREVER lifestyle changes, NOT temporary diets!!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Love sarcasm.

Honestly though, sugar, in whatever form, IS bad for some people. Especially those with insulin resistance. So technically, fruit IS the devil (for them). And potatoes. And I am a devil for bringing it up. :wink:

Some people who have medical conditions benefit from lower carbs. Lower though. Not none.

However, from OP's post history, she is not one of those people. And generally in the forums it can be assumed that advice given assumes no medical conditions. That's why if a person has a medical condition it's important to mention it when asking for advice.

True. I think it really is best to avoid making assumptions though, because we are people and make omissions, sometimes unintentionally. There are a lot of people who are here because they overconsumed sugars in a big way. That had consequences on their health and body processes. And not everyone gets a diagnosis. Doctors don't know everything either.

Zero carbs is do-able, but not impossible. It is hard though. Personally, I'm a low-carber and I keep mine at 20g-ish. It works best for me. (In maintenance I will up to net carbs.) Other people, can do it. But I'm no saint. Point being though, that people are all individuals; different beings with different DNA. There is no one-size-fits-all. I think that I would never get a flat tummy with a high-carb diet. But someone else with a different genetic make-up might. The important thing is to tinker with your choice and amount of fuel and find your personal sweet-spot, then work it for all its worth. A forum, while able to offer helpful suggestions and information, can't make that determination for you.
    If they didn't mention it don't assume they somehow omitted it. Assume they don't have it unless they say they do.

And no zero carb is not doable.

Zero carb is do-able. It isn't pleasant nor is it easy. But it is possible. Not likely, but possible. Very low-carb, like less than 10, IS do-able. I know many people who do so, and I have done so. For me, carbs that low is not sustainable. I need veggies and cream and cheese.

The whole point of me chiming in, in the first place, was to make a comment on someone else's comment of "sugar/fruit being the devil." I did not assume that the OP was insulin resistant. That would be asinine. But there ARE people who read this forum who are. And there ARE people here who are low-carb or are interested in becoming so. It's not unreasonable to add information of that bent, for the benefit of that demographic, considering that the entire thread IS about restricting CARBOHYDRATES.

And also. I never mentioned diabetes in my original comment. People can be insulin resistant without having diabetes. :)
  • baconslave
    Options
    Love sarcasm.

Some people who have medical conditions benefit from lower carbs. Lower though. Not none.

However, from OP's post history, she is not one of those people. And generally in the forums it can be assumed that advice given assumes no medical conditions. That's why if a person has a medical condition it's important to mention it when asking for advice.

True. I think it really is best to avoid making assumptions though, because we are people and make omissions, sometimes unintentionally. There are a lot of people who are here because they overconsumed sugars in a big way. That had consequences on their health and body processes. And not everyone gets a diagnosis. Doctors don't know everything either.

Zero carbs is do-able, but not impossible. It is hard though. Personally, I'm a low-carber and I keep mine at 20g-ish. It works best for me. (In maintenance I will up to net carbs.) Other people, can do it. But I'm no saint. Point being though, that people are all individuals; different beings with different DNA. There is no one-size-fits-all. I think that I would never get a flat tummy with a high-carb diet. But someone else with a different genetic make-up might. The important thing is to tinker with your choice and amount of fuel and find your personal sweet-spot, then work it for all its worth. A forum, while able to offer helpful suggestions and information, can't make that determination for you.
    If they didn't mention it don't assume they somehow omitted it. Assume they don't have it unless they say they do.

Zero carb is do-able. It isn't pleasant nor is it easy. But it is possible. Not likely, but possible. Very low-carb, like less than 10, IS do-able. I know many people who do so, and I have done so. For me, carbs that low is not sustainable. I need veggies and cream and cheese.

The whole point of me chiming in, in the first place, was to make a comment on someone else's comment of "sugar/fruit being the devil." I did not assume that the OP was insulin resistant. That would be asinine. But there ARE people who read this forum who are. And there ARE people here who are low-carb or are interested in becoming so. It's not unreasonable to add information of that bent, for the benefit of that demographic, considering that the entire thread IS about restricting CARBOHYDRATES.

And also. I never mentioned diabetes in my original comment. People can be insulin resistant without having diabetes. :)
    Really? Zero carb is doable? How so? Never eating a fruit or vegetable? Ever? Never eating an egg? Or never ever eating any food that has carbs that you may not realize have them?

Tell me how you go zero carb? And don't try that net carb debate because ever net carb won't give you zero carb.

ETA: Your caps lock keep getting stuck. Doing that doesn't make you sound right, just emotional, and it's pretty funny.

Actually sticking with meat only could probably do it. I said it was possible. It is not impossible. I never said "net carb" regarding that. And I also said I thought it was unsustainable.

The caps are intentional and for emphasis, since people appear to be having difficulty reading some of the things I am saying. But really, I am not at all emotional about this. Just because I am in the minority opinion, doesn't mean I am emotional. I think it is funny that you appear so upset about this. Appear by the tone of your words, I mean. But of course, you aren't trying to be insulting by saying that you find me funny. I'm sorry you disagree. :smile: It takes all kinds to make a good forum.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Love sarcasm.

Really? Zero carb is doable? How so? Never eating a fruit or vegetable? Ever? Never eating an egg? Or never ever eating any food that has carbs that you may not realize have them?

Tell me how you go zero carb? And don't try that net carb debate because ever net carb won't give you zero carb.

ETA: Your caps lock keep getting stuck. Doing that doesn't make you sound right, just emotional, and it's pretty funny.

Actually sticking with meat only could probably do it. I said it was possible. It is not impossible. I never said "net carb" regarding that. And I also said I thought it was unsustainable.

The caps are intentional and for emphasis, since people appear to be having difficulty reading some of the things I am saying. But really, I am not at all emotional about this. Just because I am in the minority opinion, doesn't mean I am emotional. I think it is funny that you appear so upset about this. Appear by the tone of your words, I mean. But of course, you aren't trying to be insulting by saying that you find me funny. I'm sorry you disagree. :smile: It takes all kinds to make a good forum.

Just to jump back in here--

I originally said that people with medical conditions might benefit from lower carbs, but not from no carbs. I didn't say, nor did I mean to say, that eating no carbs was impossible. Just that it wouldn't be beneficial. Because vegetables.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Calories in less than calories out is the way, however, I try to choose my calories in wisely. I find that if I keep my carbs in the 75-115 range/day that my calories in stays in control. I find that "counting carbs" is easier than "counting calories" but my carb counting is in fact just another way to count calories. (if that makes any sense.) I don't believe that we should ever get rid of any one food group, but we should respect that each of us is different. I choose to get my carbs from high-volume/low-calorie foods so that I can eat throughout the day instead of getting all my carbs/calories from a few items. I have lowered the amount of white carbs that I eat (ie. pasta, potatoes and bread.) because they tend to push me out of my weight-loss "sweet spot" as far as carb/calories go. I get much more satisfaction, with the same amount of carbs and less calories, with a HUGE salad of greens and veggies. The true secret to weight loss is to find what works for you and is something that you can stick with. Happy Sunday to all, have a wonderful day!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly! (or sarcastic.) It doesn't become you. If the person who originally posted the question is having trouble with hitting their latest goal weight (or whatever measure you would like to use) then 'tricking' (my term) the body into a desired response to food by changing the balance of nutrients on a regular cycle (carb cycling) may help them achieve their goal.
    I think it might be time to lighten up.
    Only processed white carbs like apples and potatoes.
    Troll much?

I think it was a tongue in cheek joke that people took seriously - not a troll post. :wink:
    The OP was asking a serious question, no?
    Yea. But.........sarcasm.
    Sure. And does everyone who visits know that? Nope.

Honestly, anyone who didn't figure that one out should be a little embarrassed.
    Your opinion. But every day people come and suggest they don't eat "carbs" but then talk about their fruits and vegetables.
    Why confuse folks more.
    but, meh, mocking is what MFP does best.
    cheers!
  • joshuaperson
    Options
    Absolutely not.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My diet is mainly carbs. I'm skinny.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Calories in less than calories out is the way, however, I try to choose my calories in wisely. I find that if I keep my carbs in the 75-115 range/day that my calories in stays in control. I find that "counting carbs" is easier than "counting calories" but my carb counting is in fact just another way to count calories. (if that makes any sense.) I don't believe that we should ever get rid of any one food group, but we should respect that each of us is different. I choose to get my carbs from high-volume/low-calorie foods so that I can eat throughout the day instead of getting all my carbs/calories from a few items. I have lowered the amount of white carbs that I eat (ie. pasta, potatoes and bread.) because they tend to push me out of my weight-loss "sweet spot" as far as carb/calories go. I get much more satisfaction, with the same amount of carbs and less calories, with a HUGE salad of greens and veggies. The true secret to weight loss is to find what works for you and is something that you can stick with. Happy Sunday to all, have a wonderful day!

Excellent take on the whole carb thing. Counting carbs, if nothing else, helps you center your diet and prioritize your intake. That's essentially what it's doing, if you aren't needing it for medical reasons. Good job on finding your sweet spot.
    There's no "one perfect diet." Like I've said before, you have to find your personal formula and work it. Low-carb (less than 20g/day. But I'm not going to melt if spinach makes me go over) works great for me. Others, not so much. It's all about you making your journey work. Best wishes to everyone eating however. :smile: