What can calisthenics do for you? Let me show you.

Options
One quick note – PLEASE do not turn this into a debate of weightlifting vs. calisthenics/bodyweight strength training (it is not at all my intention to imply that one is better than the other). The “lift heavy” mantra is very popular on MFP, that’s obvious – but for those of you who don’t necessarily have heavy lifting goals, the equipment to do so or are simply unfulfilled athletically by lifting weights, I’d like to show you what calisthenics can do for you.

Up until January of this year, I worked mostly with weights and personally, heavy lifting was just not in line with my goals, I did not enjoy it, and likely because of those reasons, the results I was seeing from it were not great. I wanted to be lean and strong, but also agile and flexible with the ability to propel and lift my body weight quickly and easily through any obstacle or course. Hello, progressive calisthenics!

For those of you not familiar with it - calisthenics is one of the oldest tried and true forms of exercise. It allows you to build strength progressively with no equipment, using your own body weight as resistance.

When I was lifting weights – yes, I could lift heavy objects, but I couldn’t do one proper push up or pull up, and my muscles were tight. I lacked mobility, flexibility and the overall well-rounded athleticism that I wanted (think, American Ninja Warrior).

I wish I had the ability to take good video, because I would love to show everyone how far I’ve come. If anyone, anywhere, anytime challenges me to a pushup contest – I can do about 150 good ones before my arms start to shake a little. And that’s just your standard wide pushup – barbwires, one-armed, and handstand pushups are my favorites. I am that crazy adult on the jungle gym, flying through the monkey bars with ease. Sometimes my husband will discover me in odd positions throughout the house – climbing a doorway, or holding myself up in the air on the kitchen counter... or on the roof. Lol. I can scale and lift myself over almost anything - trees, walls, fences…

So now you’re probably thinking, why? What’s the point? For me, it’s the fact that having this kind of unlimited, self-made strength is so… SO… empowering. It gives you a kind of cool confidence that is hard to explain. Not to mention – it is damn FUN.

I have leaned out much more in a much shorter period of time than I ever did while lifting weights. The difference between my weight in January and now is only about 4-5 pounds, but look how much bigger the pants and bra are on me below and how much more muscular definition I have.

Here are a couple of pictures from December (during weightlifting, and shortly before I stopped):

S2Ef4Ib.jpg

FLAT BUTT ALERT!

PqBiohJ.jpg

And here are photos after about 8 months of calisthenics/bodyweight strength training. P.S. – I realize that I look like death in these pics. I had just worked out! P.S.S. – I have had large weight loss (125 lbs.) and have a lot of loose skin on my body, unfortunately. I’m not embarrassed by it – BUT it does certainly mask some of my results I think.

Z6vilmz.jpg

Finally got that squat booty.

Qadsr18.jpg

yRlrUSo.jpg

7zF8IyU.jpg

843ON4u.jpg

g68MqwH.jpg

kjReEK6.jpg

And here my daughter saw what I was doing and so we had some fun.

w2lAeFn.jpg

mbcbahK.jpg

Just to reiterate – NOT ONE WEIGHT HAS BEEN LIFTED IN THE LAST 8 MONTHS.

If you’re interested in getting started with calisthenics, here’s some resources I recommend:
Al Kavadlo’s books (one of the best known experts in bodyweight strength training)
http://www.alkavadlo.com/store/

Convict Conditioning (book)
http://www.dragondoor.com/b41/

My own routine basically consists of the following:
Monday – bodyweight circuits
Tuesday – agility circuits
Wednesday – bodyweight circuits
Thursday – yoga
Friday – rest or short run
Saturday – cycling
Sunday – rest or short run

Thanks so much for looking and I’d love to answer any questions you have! It feels so great to be able to share my progress and I’m looking forward to improving and continuing to challenge myself. =)

Replies

• salgal33
    salgal33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wonderful and amazing results!! I work with a trainer and we do only body weight workouts, minimal cardio. I do some lifting on my own, but this is encouraging. Weight loss is nice, but being fit is my ultimate goal.
    Great job!
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Great results!! You should be so proud as you look very fit!!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I can scale and lift myself over almost anything - trees, walls, fences…

Yup. that is my idea of fitness, exactly, and my goals in a nutshell.

and you look amazing. thanks for sharing! :drinker:
  • boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Amazing results. Taking notes. I didn't notice loose skin just a lot of muscle tone.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic - congratulations!
  • teamgiff4
    teamgiff4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - yes!
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Wow, you look great! And BTW, especially based on your "after" pictures, I never would have guessed that you started out with that much weight to lose! You've achieved so much!

I'm planning on spending a lot of my winter working on bodyweight exercises, when it's too cold to be out doing runs and bike rides regularly; I always like seeing good results from things like this. So encouraging that you can do things like this without investing in a gym membership or an expensive home gym or anything like that.

Your results look amazing!
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your comments!

It's great to be able to encourage others. =)
  • yafashelli
    yafashelli Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow! You really look amazing! :flowerforyou:
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful!!! Can you explain what "bodyweight circuits" and "agility circuits" are? I'd like to learn more.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Excellent work!
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm so impressed! You are fantastically fit and look so happy! Thank you for the resources!!
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options

So now you’re probably thinking, why? What’s the point? For me, it’s the fact that having this kind of unlimited, self-made strength is so… SO… empowering. It gives you a kind of cool confidence that is hard to explain. Not to mention – it is damn FUN.

It sounds like fun and you look AMAZING!!!

I'll be switching up my routine in about 2 weeks so I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!
  • amwj313
    amwj313 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    AWESOME WORK!! You look so healthy and fit!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!!

Hm you got me thinking now because I can't seem to stick with weight lifting so I might give this a go. Thanks for sharing this.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You look incredible, and your abilities just blow me away! I have lost almost as much as you, in grand total, and want the same as you--toned, strong muscles without bulkiness. Thank you for sharing your results with MFP.

What do you recommend to get started in this? I do cardio to maintain my loss and just recently got back into lifting weights with the weight machines at my gym. I'm also getting back into pushups and squats. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Wonderful work you've done! You look so happy with your daughter, healthy and vibrant.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job, you look great! And your daughter is adorable!! :)
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my work out goal as well. You look fabulous -your back is impressive!

Thank you for posting and giving me hope I can get results (currently working through You are your own gym)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!