What can calisthenics do for you? Let me show you.

Options

Replies

• kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thanks for showing us that there is more than one way to achieve our fitness goals!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!! Great work!
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful!!! Can you explain what "bodyweight circuits" and "agility circuits" are? I'd like to learn more.

Bodyweight circuits are the bodyweight exercises I have put together, and I do them "circuit" style (back to back). My first calisthenics day of the week is usually upper body and core, and my second calisthenics day is usually lower body. A circuit for my upper body day might look something like this:

Spider pushups x25
    Wide pull ups x15
    Decline pushups x25
    Close grip pull ups x15
    Down dog push ups x25
    Reverse grip pull ups x8/side
    Staggered pushups x25
    Chair dips x25
    Handstand pushups x25
    ... Plus my core exercises

Sometimes I repeat, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll do full-body on one day and repeat the whole thing on the other day - I'm pretty relaxed with the routine and just kind of go with the flow! By the way, these are reps that I have worked up to - definitely not a beginner's range. I modify the workout every few weeks, incorporating different and new moves.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add - my agility circuits are done with an agility ladder. Basically just fast, fancy footwork - then sometimes I follow up with some parkour style stuff.
    What do you recommend to get started in this? I do cardio to maintain my loss and just recently got back into lifting weights with the weight machines at my gym. I'm also getting back into pushups and squats. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Starting with the basics is definitely recommended! Push ups, pull ups and squats are the foundation of almost every bodyweight move. I had to do assisted pull ups for a long time and it was the toughest to master - but it is possible. Once the basics are mastered, you can make them progressively more difficult, building strength. For example, the progression for pushups may go from a standard wide pushup, to a military pushup, to a decline pushup, etc.
    Thank you for posting and giving me hope I can get results (currently working through You are your own gym)

Thanks for mentioning that - You Are Your Own Gym is a good resource too! Wish I could edit my first post and add it.

Once again thanks so much for all your comments!
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    What loose skin? You look great! I'm looking up calisthenics.....
  • fourfiftythree
    Options
    What loose skin? You look great! I'm looking up calisthenics.....

You're so nice! I know, I'm hard on myself........ but I can pull the skin on my stomach out a good 4 inches from my body. It's a fun parlor trick, but it's annoying more than anything. Because I'm CERTAIN that there are some nice abdominal muscles under there. I just want to see them!
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! Thanks for sharing your success:smile:
  • PennyHartz
    PennyHartz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is extremely inspiring and encouraging. I find myself getting so bored in the weight room, but I feel like I "have" to do it if I want to achieve my end goal (aesthetically). I'll definitely be checking out some of the resources you've suggested.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Okay, you look amazing and your arms and shoulders are super swoon-worthy, but I just have to say that the pictures with your daughter were adorable!!
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! This is exactly the type of post i was looking for to motivate me this morning, on week 4 of YAYOG and my goal is to be able to do 1 handstand pushup in 1 yrs time. Thank you again for such a great post
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing. This is just what I was looking for, thanks.:smile:
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! Congrats
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Great results ^^
  • ladyzakis
    ladyzakis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is what I've always wanted to do but I just never knew before. Thanks for sharing and being inspiring!
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    you look great :happy:
  • Skylarfit181
    Options
    That is truly inspiring, congratulations! Pull ups are the worst! It's going to be one of the happiest days of my life when I'm finally able to do pull ups without assistance. Long way to go, though.... Anyway, this shows that you really don't need any fancy equipment to get in the best shape of your life. I'd also like to mention that of all the workout programs out there, I think P90X series is legit because it combines weight training and calisthenics (there are whole workouts of just pulling and pushing). But of course you can create your own workout plan without spending any money :)
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You look great well done!
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You are so beautiful and your baby girl is too! I am just getting started on my journey to health-just completed a squat challenge-now doing plank (hard for me now) so really happy to see your results-how long do you work out a day?
  • fourfiftythree
    Options
    I'd also like to mention that of all the workout programs out there, I think P90X series is legit because it combines weight training and calisthenics (there are whole workouts of just pulling and pushing). But of course you can create your own workout plan without spending any money :)

I agree, p90x was one of the first programs I did when I started losing weight. It is certainly well rounded. It is also what introduced me to yoga and I could not live without yoga in my routine now.

Thanks for all your comments!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    This is what I've always wanted to do but I just never knew before. Thanks for sharing and being inspiring!

This!! I've been considering a new workout routine (I love running but it's getting boring) and have been wanting to start weight lifting because I thought it would get me to where I (thought I) want to be... but I'm totally going your route now ;)

Thanks for answering the follow up q's as well- love the info :D
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm so glad I came across this post. I'm currently doing and enjoying "body by you" which is by the same guy who did "you are your own gym". I was thinking I would have to go start doing weights to get the body I was after. You look fantastic. I have lost like 9-10lbs and have already dropped one dress size and in a month should comfortably fit into the next size down (hopefully). At this weight before doing my program, I was a size bigger. So glad I can continue with bodyweight exercises to achieve my goals.

I can do pushups now but can only do assisted pull-ups from my table with my knees bent lol.

A question please, with your routine do you rest in between and for how long? Also, how much do you eat (do you eat at or below your tdee)?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!