waist should be less than half your height

Options

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    If I'm calculating right than that means I need a 30. That seems doable.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    At 5' 10" I need to get to 35", better get going on my 30 day challenge!
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    Mine is already less than half n I expect to lose several more inches off so I'm good. .
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hm, it says mine should be 35. That's what mine is.

I'll have a fulfilling life!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    if this is true i only have one more inch to go. woot woot!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Mine is already less than half and I have 50 more pounds to go.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Les Mayhew, a professor of statistics at Cass Business School, said: “There is now overwhelming evidence that government policy should place greater emphasis on waist to height ratio as a screening tool.”

Of course, the NHS does place great emphasis on the waist size. They're a bit more draconian though - women's waists ideally should be less than 31.5" and men's less than 37".

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx?CategoryID=51

Due to the dreaded middle aged spread, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get under that again. Should make 32.5", though. (at 65", that's half.)
  • meg091380
    Options
    My goal puts mine at half, so seems plausible...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My insurance company has been using that as part of its assessment for a while.

(31.5 for me, so not unreasonable, even though I wish I tended more to the hourglass instead of being super high-waisted.)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I know they say waist, but do they mean waist (as in the natural waist) or belly? If they mean waist, I'm close. If they mean belly, not so much...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Les Mayhew, a professor of statistics at Cass Business School, said: “There is now overwhelming evidence that government policy should place greater emphasis on waist to height ratio as a screening tool.”

Of course, the NHS does place great emphasis on the waist size. They're a bit more draconian though - women's waists ideally should be less than 31.5" and men's less than 37".

Due to the dreaded middle aged spread, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get under that again. Should make 32.5", though. (at 65", that's half.)
    The idea that a fixed waist measurement is useful, regardless of the height of the person involved, seems brain damaged even for government.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Mine should be 32? Being short with a small torso, this would make me a beach ball. Maybe it ok as a general rule, but definitely not my preference.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hope that is true! I only need to lose one inch off my waist to meet that requirement, even though I'm just starting and I'm more than 20 lbs overweight by BMI.

I did a little googling to make sure I was measuring the in the right spot, and I am (between the lowest rib bone and the hip bone, according to one article on the study).

I suppose I should thank my parents.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Eek. If that's true, I need a 36" waist.

i don't think I even had a 36" waist when I was in high school and I was in decent shape back then!
  • SingRunTing
    Options
    Mine should be 32? Being short with a small torso, this would make me a beach ball. Maybe it ok as a general rule, but definitely not my preference.

Really, did you have to go there? Maybe I'm just feeling sensitive today, but that just struck a "well then I must look like a blimp" nerve.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

Really, did you have to go there? Maybe I'm just feeling sensitive today, but that just struck a "well then I must look like a blimp" nerve.

Are you me? With the same body type, frame and measurements? Am I missing a twin?
  • SingRunTing
    Options

Are you me? With the same body type, frame and measurements? Am I missing a twin?

I'm shorter than you and have a bigger waist. I'm not saying it's logical, but it did strike a nerve.

Edited to add: I'm not usually this sensitive, but it just hit me hard. I'm not going to fight about this though, so have a good day!
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That would put me at 32.5".. I'm at 31 so I guess I should just keep at it and live until I'm 100! Woop! Always wanted to live until 2089
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

I'm shorter than you and have a bigger waist. I'm not saying it's logical, but it did strike a nerve.

My torso is disproportionately shorter than my height. I have an extremely small frame. I have had a 32 inch waist before. People carry their weight differently. A 32 inch waist on one person will look astoundingly different on another.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Damned middle age spread. I should probably measure mine again!