waist should be less than half your height

Options

Replies

• tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    6'-0" and my waist was 57" yeah I was obese. Now, 32.5" so lost 2 feet + around my equator lol
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I have always understood women were supposed to measure their "waist" at the smallest part. For me, that is way above my navel, right under my ribcage. At 5'9", my true waist is currently 35 inches, so I need to lose an inch to get in the healthy range. I still want to lose at least 40 lbs, so I'm sure it will happen.

It does depress me a bit, as my waist used to always be smaller, even when I weighed more. I would love to get back to the 29 inches it was at a healthy weight. *sigh* I will keep working at it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    From NHS

To measure your waist:
    find the bottom of your ribs and the top of your hips
    breathe out naturally
    wrap a tape measure around your waist midway between these points to find your measurement

You have a higher risk of health problems if your waist size is:
    more than 94cm (37 inches) if you're a man
    more than 80cm (31.5 inches) if you're a woman

Your risk of health problems is even higher if your waist size is:
    more than 102cm (40 inches) if you're a man
    more than 88cm (34.5 inches) if you're a woman

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just need to be taller and I will be fine.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    NHS is the UK, right? Since I'm American, I'll assume that doesn't apply to me.
    ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This is interesting.. I'm officially obese and still have 22 pounds to be considered overweight (and about 55 pounds to be at the very top-end of healthy BMI), yet I only need to lose 2 more inches for my waist to be half my height. I may become an obese person with a healthy waist to height ratio.. weight is a weird thing.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    NHS is the UK, right? Since I'm American, I'll assume that doesn't apply to me.
    ;)

<chuckles>
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    This is interesting.. I'm officially obese and still have 22 pounds to be considered overweight (and about 55 pounds to be at the very top-end of healthy BMI), yet I only need to lose 2 more inches for my waist to be half my height. I may become an obese person with a healthy waist to height ratio.. weight is a weird thing.

I have 10lbs to go to reach my maximum BMI range of 25, but my waist is 42% of my height - genetics
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Very easy for hour-glass or pear shapes. At a 33.75" waist my hips would be at 50" (Just guessing!). Definitely would like to be <<< on this one :-)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    To the people saying they "don't agree", what exactly do you not agree with? Unless you object to the way this study was designed the results are the results. You must also understand a correlation is just that, a correlation. We know smoking is highly correlated with lung cancer. We also know plenty of people who smoke and have never had lung cancer. Having a waist 2x > height does not guarantee healthy problems, you are simply at more risk to develop them then someone who does not have waist 2x > height.

This +1

People should read the article, understand what it is saying and why. For goodness sake no wonder there is so much misunderstanding.

Lol@ the people who deemed to flag the OP for posting a legitimate article from a national newspaper about legitimate medical research. Get a grip.
  • schle009
    schle009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like this better than BMI. I always thought I had a rather large waist...sitting at 33" and 5'7" (67) so just barely there, but I've more to lose.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This probably isn't all that uncommon; definitely being overweight with an acceptable waist to height ratio is common for women. That's part of the point--fat around the thighs, hips, butt, and breasts isn't likely to be as dangerous as that around the middle.

My waist to height ratio is fine now, but I do tend to hold weight in the middle, so I had to be at a healthy BMI before that was the case. I am curious if there's any effort to also look at other factors, since waists may be thicker for structural reasons--my sister and I are both built with little distance between top of the hips and bottom of the ribs, and her waist wasn't terribly narrow even at 5'3, 110 and quite fit (I've never been that light as an adult), but it also at least was distinctly less than half her height.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    tony56pr wrote: »
    6'-0" and my waist was 57" yeah I was obese. Now, 32.5" so lost 2 feet + around my equator lol

That's a stunning transformation.

How'd your skin rebound?
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I would need to be at 36.5" in this case. Considering that I was able to fit into a 34 at one point, this is completely in the realm of possibility for me.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would need to be at 36.5" in this case. Considering that I was able to fit into a 34 at one point, this is completely in the realm of possibility for me.

Waist > pant size. My waist is 5-6" larger than my pant size. I assume that gap will shrink as I lose more weiight, but I don't see how I can ever hit the guideline
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you measure, I'm either very close or two inches away. I'll get there.

My waist really goes in, though. I have a lot of fat left to lose! Some women are naturally more boxy and could be much thinner than I am with the same measurements.

I only want to add those last two years if they're good ones, though. If I'm going to be spending them mostly in the hospital and dottering around, not knowing my son and pooping my pants, I'm okay with skipping those years. If only we knew! :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    70 inches tall. 30 inch waist. I'm golden. Back to the cheesecake.
    Eta. 32 inch at waist not pants.my bad I'm sugar high.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    6'0 tall. 27.5in waist.
    Well under.
  • lac925
    lac925 Posts: 12
    Options
    How do we calculate it? I'm 5'ft tall and my natural waist measures 28"...?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    lac925 wrote: »
    How do we calculate it? I'm 5'ft tall and my natural waist measures 28"...?

5 feet equals 60 inches. Half of 60 inches is 30 inches. Your waist is less than half your height.