waist should be less than half your height

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that might work if you are an apple shape, but even at my heaviest my waist was still showing my height at 4 inches too short. lol. Right now at maintenance goal I'd be 4'1" tall instead of 5'8". So, no, this is kind of a useless measurement.
    Did you READ the article? Even skim it?
  • legless11
    legless11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that might work if you are an apple shape, but even at my heaviest my waist was still showing my height at 4 inches too short. lol. Right now at maintenance goal I'd be 4'1" tall instead of 5'8". So, no, this is kind of a useless measurement.

The best thing about this thread is you answering everyone who has got the wrong end of the stick, loving your work.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    So I'd need to lose 20cm off my waist... seems reasonable. That's only 7.8".

ETA: LOL this thread is funny. Just to add to the funny, I just measured my waist at my desk, using my phone charger cord, which I then measured with a ruler :D
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My body shape is rectangle with boobs. I don't fit into any 'norm'. I'm 5'2 so I'd have to have a 31" waist. In the 20 lbs I've lost I still haven't gotten under 40" I'm screwed!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

The best thing about this thread is you answering everyone who has got the wrong end of the stick, loving your work.
    If only MFP had allowed me to have a longer topic line lol.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    ^^ ...but it's so much funnier when people misunderstand and think they need to be taller because of their waist measurements!

On a side note, it seems like this would be a great way to determine goal weight, for those who aren't sure. As long as you are satisfied with your weight AND your waist measurement is less than half your height measurement, you are good to go.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What are we talking here? Smallest part? Naval? Where my pants fit?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Amazing how many people seem unable to comprehend the phrase "LESS THAN".
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", so... 33.5". Not bad. Better than people telling me my waist should be 25", cause that just ain't happening.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    29 here.. I need to get that waist to shrink! :/
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Cool, I can lose 14" (35.56cm) in height and I will still be A-okay.... ;-)
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Hm.

38"
    5' 8" = 68"
    68"/2 = 34"

Need to lose 4 inches.

Weight = 200.6 lbs
    Goal = 170.0 lbs (for starters. will reassess based on body composition)

I think I lost about an inch per 10 lbs so far, so I'd need to get down to 160 lbs to hit the target waist measurement. My natural shape is pretty slab-sided. As someone above said--"a box with boobs".
  • laurarsolar
    laurarsolar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 30". I'm only 5 feet tall! I am 133 pounds, I am confused on how everyone has such small waists!! But mostly just jealous lol
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain here by saying that your waist measurement should be at most half your height is using an arbitrary value (half), as if by magic nature decided that half of your height was a "safe" boundary for any illnesses or diseases caused by fat.

That's more arbitrary than using 18.5, 25 and 30 BMI numbers (since there are 3 BMI numbers), this ratio uses only one.

I'd rather see 2 or 3 percentages of height for a guide as for health predictions than one.
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my height: 5 11" - 71 inches
    my waist should be less than : 35.5"
    my waist currently: 39.5"
    starting waist measurement: 43"

I'm almost half way there!
    4 inches to go! But I'm sure I'll want to go further :)
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    Mine is about 30". I'm only 5 feet tall! I am 133 pounds, I am confused on how everyone has such small waists!! But mostly just jealous lol
    Lol it just depends on body type. ..when I was 140 lbs I had a 25 in waist...I'm an hourglass, that's all...
  • Need to be at 35 and am at 31 :) YAY me
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Need a 34, have a 31, still overweight according to BMI (and I carry my fat in my belly, so it's not because I'm fat elsewhere).

I'm just going to stick with body fat%, it may not be as easy to measure, but it tells you what you actually need to know.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Oh yay! I'm fine.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! You will do this!