waist should be less than half your height

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine should be 32? Being short with a small torso, this would make me a beach ball. Maybe it ok as a general rule, but definitely not my preference.
    For health.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Mine should be 32? Being short with a small torso, this would make me a beach ball. Maybe it ok as a general rule, but definitely not my preference.

Really, did you have to go there? Maybe I'm just feeling sensitive today, but that just struck a "well then I must look like a blimp" nerve.

Perhaps you shouldn't read the forums then if something like that will "strike a nerve" on your sensitive days. She was talking about herself, not you. She also made a good point about it being a general rule but not a guideline. Nothing here was aimed at you personally. Jeesh, chill out.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It's interesting, because they've always said that the hourglass shape is correlated with lower risk of heart disease and stuff. A lot of this is genetic; my mom is overweight but she would have to be really overweight to be more than 34" at the waist, just because of her shape. Even when I'm "bigger", my waist is still 24". So it sounds like it's less about weight than where your body holds fat.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I need to get A LOT TALLER!!! No, seriously, I'm still just proud that my circumference is less than my height. Half? Eek!!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    sounds accurate

29509743.png
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Really, did you have to go there? Maybe I'm just feeling sensitive today, but that just struck a "well then I must look like a blimp" nerve.

Are you me? With the same body type, frame and measurements? Am I missing a twin?

I'm shorter than you and have a bigger waist. I'm not saying it's logical, but it did strike a nerve.

Edited to add: I'm not usually this sensitive, but it just hit me hard. I'm not going to fight about this though, so have a good day!
    Is it bad that I found this funny?
    I'm a jerk.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    nevermind, just deleting my post. I guess I have a weird body shape. lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mine should be 32?

Less than 32. So your preference is fine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mine should be 32?

Less than 32. So your preference is fine.
    Exactly
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nevermind, just deleting my post. I guess I have a weird body shape. lol

Sounds like you have an hourglass or pear, which is probably better for health purposes than being more of an apple, and not weird.

The way my insurance company does it is that it's considered unhealthy to be obese, period, and if you are overweight it's considered unhealthy if your waist is more than half your height, because fat around your middle tends to be more of a health concern than fat on your rear, thighs, hips, breasts, etc.

There are also just different builds that affect measurements beyond fat. Even when I'm really thin I'm more straight up and down (though with breasts), just because of being high-waisted and not really carrying fat around my hips and rear. (I don't care for this, which is why I'm hoping strength-training will help.)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Same for men and women? I didn't t expect that. Mine is less-than-half but I still say the mirror test is best: If I look fat, I'm fat.
  • meaganlael
    Options
    All the more motivation to work on whittling down my waist, then.... about 12 inches (a bit of a long way, but that's no surprise) to go!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'm under half in the waist. If they come out and say your hips have to be lower; well, I'm in trouble, b/c there's a 10 inch difference between my waist and hips. Yeah, I'm all butt and thigh.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Same for men and women? I didn't t expect that. Mine is less-than-half but I still say the mirror test is best: If I look fat, I'm fat.
    Can the mirror predict life expectancy? Maybe.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A 34" wait would make me look very thick in the middle. I'm at 31" in and I'd like to get closer to 29" if possible.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    A 34" wait would make me look very thick in the middle. I'm at 31" in and I'd like to get closer to 29" if possible.
    But a less than 34 inch waist (assuming you're 68" tall) predicts health and a longer life span.

The article isn't about ideal weight, just health.

So yes, your 31" and preferred 29" would be great.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this too. After three kids and having 30 lbs to lose my lower abdomen is about 4-5 inches bigger than my natural waist.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    But a less than 34 inch waist (assuming you're 68" tall) predicts health and a longer life span.

The article isn't about ideal weight, just health.

So yes, your 31" and preferred 29" would be great.

I sure hope that's true!

I guess having all that junk in my trunk isn't so bad (42" hips)!