waist should be less than half your height

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this too. After three kids and having 30 lbs to lose my lower abdomen is about 4-5 inches bigger than my natural waist.
    Like to know...what?
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I know they say waist, but do they mean waist (as in the natural waist) or belly? If they mean waist, I'm close. If they mean belly, not so much...

Like to know this? I'm wondering too, does anyone know?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I know they say waist, but do they mean waist (as in the natural waist) or belly? If they mean waist, I'm close. If they mean belly, not so much...

I assume they used the pretty standard approach:

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Waist
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking waist/height ratio as one of my metrics to track progress. It's easier than trying to estimate body fat %, isn't subjective like absolute body measurements/dress size and doesn't vary by how much sodium I consumed or how much I exercised the day before like a scale weight.

The absolute waist circumference is a useful indicator as well, but it depends on racial heritage/genetics, so probably isn't as useful for mixed populations. The UK government isn't the only one to have a target waist circumference as a measure of health. China does as well.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wonder if that's actually right. I'm 5'10" (so 70 inches) and so that's 35 inches. My waist is 29 inches (at navel, not smallest part) and I expect it'll get another inch or two smaller...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I wonder if that's actually right. I'm 5'10" (so 70 inches) and so that's 35 inches. My waist is 29 inches (at navel, not smallest part) and I expect it'll get another inch or two smaller...
    It's NOT a diet equation! READ the article lol.
  • Eudoxy
    Options

I assume they used the pretty standard approach:

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Waist

Thanks! In the pictures she was going a little low, but it said "it will be the narrowest part of your torso", so I'm going with that. I'm 5'8" with 32" waist so fine I guess, but my waist has never been my problem.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Soo for me that's under 35", even when I was over weight(40#'s ago) my waist was under that. Guess I am lucky and have healthier fat distribution genetics.
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I guess I've got quite a ways to go still at a 0.625 Ht/Weight ratio :(

I WAS on the way to making them MATCH if I had not made some severe changes!!

From a MEASURED waist (over naval) of 51.5" down to around 40" so far!!
    At the rate I'm going I need to revisit my retirement savings - gonna need LOTS MORE MONEY as I'll live longer!!
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    I'm good to go. I'm only an inch or two off.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I'm good.
    Height 72in
    Waist 28in
  • xRedRockerx
    xRedRockerx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    At 5'2" I need less than 31 inches. I only ever hit 31 inches once and that was when I had a month-long binge. I prefer going by my waist/hip ratio, but this is good to know!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near any of my goals, but the the research I've seen definitely indicate that waist is a better measure than BMI.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Great, just 8 inches to go, sigh...
  • Eudoxy
    Options
    I'm nowhere near any of my goals, but the the research I've seen definitely indicate that waist is a better measure than BMI.

In terms of health, yes. I think it has to do with fat or pressure around the organs.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by natural waist vs belly, but one of the articles I saw defined waist as between the lowest rib and the top of the thigh bone. Which is what I would think of as both the natural waist and belly, though it may or may not be the smallest point, depending on how you are built.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Great, just 8 inches to go, sigh...

could be worse, it could be 9 or 10 inch's to go so chin up and keep truckin along.
  • Eudoxy
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by natural waist vs belly, but one of the articles I saw defined waist as between the lowest rib and the top of the thigh bone. Which is what I would think of as both the natural waist and belly, though it may or may not be the smallest point, depending on how you are built.

Natural waist is the smallest part (where it creases when you bend to the side), it's between your belly button and ribs. Drop waist, often used for clothing measurements, is about an inch and a half below natural waist, and probably closer to what is meant by "belly".
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that might work if you are an apple shape, but even at my heaviest my waist was still showing my height at 4 inches too short. lol. Right now at maintenance goal I'd be 4'1" tall instead of 5'8". So, no, this is kind of a useless measurement.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    omg.. I'm finally below someone's ideal for weight.. woo ho.. yea me