What is your FAVORITE SCIENTIFIC QUOTE?

Options
tincanonastring
tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
So, what's your favorite quote about science? You know, that quote that opens your eyes to the glorious magnificence of the universe and all the random interactions that have led us to this point.

For what it's worth, I don't think you can ever go wrong with:

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Replies

• bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Virtually every scientist now concedes that universe and time itself had beginning. So, whatever begins to exist has a cause. The universe began to exist. Therefore, the universe must have had a cause. ~Lee Strobel
  • diespel
    diespel Posts: 700
    Options
    As god is my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly - Arthur Carlson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Virtually every scientist now concedes that universe and time itself had beginning. So, whatever begins to exist has a cause. The universe began to exist. Therefore, the universe must have had a cause. ~Lee Strobel

Apologetics is not science. It's Christian anti-science claptrap. Please try to stay on topic.
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    For me it's not quotes but two "speeches"

• tincanonastring
    Options
    For me it's not quotes but two "speeches"

I'll have to watch these when I get home. Thanks!
  • scrapalooza
    scrapalooza Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It is a scientific fact that your body will not absorb cholesterol if you take it from another person's plate.

Dave Barry

lol
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to, "Heisenberg may have slept here"
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I'm partial to, "Heisenberg may have slept here"

This makes me giggle...wait, no it doesn't...wait, yes it does....
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    A body in motion stays in motion .. a body at rest stays at rest
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Apologetics is not science. It's Christian anti-science claptrap. Please try to stay on topic.

Yeah, that's what the doctors said to people who mentioned that the Bible says they need to wash after coming in contact with blood or semen. Prior to the acceptance of germ theory, doctors regularly spread gangrene and other diseases by not washing between surgeries and delivering babies. Such antiquated views, the learned men pontificated, washing! What anti-science claptrap!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    As god is my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly - Arthur Carlson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

Best. Episode. Ever.
  • InevitableButterfly
    Options
    "Should we force science down the throats of those that have no taste for it? Is it our duty to drag them kicking and screaming into the twenty-first century ? I am afraid that it is."

— George Porter

"You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

— The Doctor
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    IDK if this counts but I've always liked it. And the forums here make me think of it often. :laugh:

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by a false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." --Issac Asimov
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Yeah, that's what the doctors said to people who mentioned that the Bible says they need to wash after coming in contact with blood or semen. Prior to the acceptance of germ theory, doctors regularly spread gangrene and other diseases by not washing between surgeries and delivering babies. Such antiquated views, the learned men pontificated, washing! What anti-science claptrap!

Yay! More apologetic nonsense! Please cite your sources, good sir (or ma'am)!
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

So the idea that for every effect there must be a cause is not scientific? cause-effect, co-relation vs causal, etc. are all concepts used by science to develop theories, etc. I'm assuming that Strobel must be a Christian Apologist, for you to be so vehement in your response to the poster. I also noticed you did not respond in kind to the others who quoted non-scientist and/or scientific quotes. I didn't see "Arthur from WKRP in Cincinnati is a TV character on a sitcom, not a scientist on a documentary and is not science, It is comedy writer's anti-science claptrap. Please try to stay on topic."

Methinks thou dost protest too much - William Shakespeare

Oops, that wasn't scientific either.
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    "For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have two, both by Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

"If there is any religion that could respond to the needs of modern science, it would be Buddhism."
  • tincanonastring
    Options

So the idea that for every effect there must be a cause is not scientific? cause-effect, co-relation vs causal, etc. are all concepts used by science to develop theories, etc. I'm assuming that Strobel must be a Christian Apologist, for you to be so vehement in your response to the poster. I also noticed you did not respond in kind to the others who quoted non-scientist and/or scientific quotes. I didn't see "Arthur from WKRP in Cincinnati is a TV character on a sitcom, not a scientist on a documentary and is not science, It is comedy writer's anti-science claptrap. Please try to stay on topic."

Methinks thou dost protest too much - William Shakespeare

Oops, that wasn't scientific either.

I would have called out the WKRP piece if it was anti-science, just as I did with the Strobel quote. Also, point of order, the quote itself is wrong. The idea of a finite universe is actually hotly debated amongst cosmologists. However, as with all apologists, Strobel is misrepresenting the facts of the case in order to support a preconceived notion. If the poster would like to point me toward apologist science that is actually, well, science, I'd be happy to look at its merit.

ETA: You've misused the "protest too much" quote. I don't think it means what you think it means...
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Okay, so wait. A person can ask for favorite Bible verses and people can hijack the hell out of it, but you expect people to stay on topic when you're posting an opposition thread? And to be fair, you asked for quotes about science, which the above poster shared. If you want statements of scientific fact, and only that, then be more concise with your original post.

But to respond to the original post, I'd have to say mine is Sagan's "Little Blue Dot" speech.

ETA: DOH! As the OP pointed out, it's Pale Blue Dot....*covers face in shame* and to think I just posted a blog about it yesterday....
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Okay, so wait. A person can ask for favorite Bible verses and people can hijack the hell out of it, but you expect people to stay on topic when you're posting an opposition thread? And to be fair, you asked for quotes about science, which the above poster shared. If you want statements of scientific fact, and only that, then be more concise with your original post.

But to respond to the original post, I'd have to say mine is Sagan's "Little Blue Dot" speech.

The "stay on topic" bit actually started out as a joke (in my head) based on the other thread, but apologists really grind my gears, so it came out a lot more judgemental than I originally intended. Still, science calls for rigorous debate, so yeah, I'm okay with it in the end.

ETA: I love the Pale Blue Dot piece as well. Great quote!