What is your FAVORITE SCIENTIFIC QUOTE?

Options

Replies

• laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    There does seem to be a sense in which physics has gone beyond what human intuition can understand. We shouldn't be too surprised about that because we're evolved to understand things that move at a medium pace at a medium scale. We can't cope with the very tiny scale of quantum physics or the very large scale of relativity.

Richard Dawkins
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    “There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality”
    ― Richard Dawkins
  • justinitsul
    justinitsul Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    cats tongues are rougher than dogs tongues
    -Kenny Bond
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Dr. William Gray, Colorado State University
    John Christy, Climatologist

Check out their research and views. No grant money there. No Fakegate agendas.

One scientist whose own co-author criticizes his increased radicalism and whose papers on climate change have been turned down for not following scientific standards and another who actually supports the idea of anthropogenic climate change (yep, Christy actually supports the IPCC's stance - he just doesn't think we have enough evidence to make catastrophic predictions yet) does not overturn the enormous tide of scientific consensus supporting the idea that our addiction to fossil fuels has and is fundamentally changing our atmosphere and oceans.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Because it's relevant to this thread:

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge."
    - Carl Sagan
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    "An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very stupid."
    --- Carl Sagan

Which is why most scientists, if you actually ask them, will state clearly and concisely that they are in fact agnostic, not atheist. Because we understand the difference between what's provable and what's impossible to DISPROVE.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Dr. William Gray, Colorado State University
    John Christy, Climatologist

Check out their research and views. No grant money there. No Fakegate agendas.

Yes, evil evil grant money! Um, wait, where exactly should the money for research come from if not grant money?
  • sailingheartships
    Options
    Here are only a couple of my favorites, sorry they are so long....hahah.

“Think of an experience from your childhood. Something you remember clearly, something you can see, feel, maybe even smell, as if you were really there. After all you really were there at the time, weren’t you? How else could you remember it? But here is the bombshell: you weren’t there. Not a single atom that is in your body today was there when that event took place …. Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Whatever you are, therefore, you are not the stuff of which you are made. If that does not make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, read it again until it does, because it is important.”
    – Richard Dawkins

"What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." -Bertrand Russell

"There is no heaven for broken down computers." -Stephen Hawking
  • sailingheartships
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • sailingheartships
    Options
    “There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality”
    ― Richard Dawkins

LOVE Richard Dawkins.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You view Christians as minions, but you may want to check the mirror. I would urge caution in where you follow. You would sure as hell hate to be wrong.

I highly urge you to research and take the time to understand Pascal's Wager. It will help you understand why I am completely uninterested in statements like this.

Uninterested, but insistent in refuting such statements in Christian threads on this site.

Hypocrite - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Anybody who has been seriously engaged is scientific work of any kind realizes that over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words: 'Ye must have faith.'
    MAX PLANCK

A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.
    ALAN PERLIS

How about juxtaposing these ideas:

Max Planck said "As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter"

With this:

He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
    Colossians 1:17

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.
    MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.

I like Planck, too. Particularly:

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

As far as his fascination with god, he's no different than Francis Collins. Both are brilliant men who made fantastic breakthroughs in their field and found spiritual meaning in them. However, it was their meaning and, just because they saw it, it doesn't mean their work actually supports those views. Both Planck's and Collins' scientific achievements tell us facts (amazing, glorious facts) about the universe, but anyone who sees religious or spiritual meaning in those facts does so for personal reasons. A fact is but a bit of truth with no inherent meaning of it's own.

Speaking of Planck, I also like:

"The belief in miracles must retreat step by step before relentlessly and reliably progressing science and we cannot doubt that sooner or later it must vanish completely."

I think it's kind of funny that you would use Planck to support a couple of Bible passages considering Planck was a deist and on record that he did not believe in any type of personal god, much less a Christian one. I'm also waiting patiently for the name of that semen resistant wood from Leviticus, whenever you get a chance. I have...needs.

Your post is sad. I feel kind of sorry for you. You take the base and refuse the glorious. It's like eating out of a trash can instead of sitting at the table to feast on world class cuisine. If only people really understood how much richer their lives would be, how much more joy and peace they'd experience if they really believed. I'm going to not comment further as I only engage in conversation that is mutually respectful.

Stand back! Im going to try science!

I feel sad for you. Because one of my good friends was raised evangelical. He believed with his whole heart, he prayed and he was the least sinful person in the world. Until he realized he was gay.
    Then his family disowned him (very christian of them) and left him to the wolves of the world.

So I feel sad for all the kids who grow up thinking they need to be perfect and that by there very nature they are sinful.

My life would NOT be richer if I believed in a man in the sky. My life would be siginficantly more tragic.

\now back to regular programing.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    only posers die
  • SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    "A *kitten* storm could turn into a Sh*tnado at any time" - Jim Lahey
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics" - Mark Twain
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    "Every living being is an engine geared to the wheelwork of the universe. Though seemingly affected only by its immediate surrounding, the sphere of external influence extends to infinite distance."

Nikola Tesla
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    A body in motion stays in motion .. a body at rest stays at rest

I love all of Newton's laws. I wish I had known him. He was really standoffish and weird too.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    You view Christians as minions, but you may want to check the mirror. I would urge caution in where you follow. You would sure as hell hate to be wrong.

I highly urge you to research and take the time to understand Pascal's Wager. It will help you understand why I am completely uninterested in statements like this.

Uninterested, but insistent in refuting such statements in Christian threads on this site.

Hypocrite - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Uninterested, as in I'm uninterested in the argument that I should believe because it's better to believe and be wrong than not believe and be wrong. That's called Pascal's Wager, since you didn't pick it up through reading comprehension. Talking about religion (and opposing views), expressing my own ideas, and learning why others believe and how they react when their beliefs face opposition is very much interesting to me.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    only posers die

I'm going to need to see a published study on this, Stevo!