What is your FAVORITE SCIENTIFIC QUOTE?

Options

Replies

• George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Virtually every scientist now concedes that universe and time itself had beginning. So, whatever begins to exist has a cause. The universe began to exist. Therefore, the universe must have had a cause. ~Lee Strobel

Apologetics is not science. It's Christian anti-science claptrap. Please try to stay on topic.

Okay, so wait. A person can ask for favorite Bible verses and people can hijack the hell out of it, but you expect people to stay on topic when you're posting an opposition thread? And to be fair, you asked for quotes about science, which the above poster shared. If you want statements of scientific fact, and only that, then be more concise with your original post.

But to respond to the original post, I'd have to say mine is Sagan's "Little Blue Dot" speech.

The "stay on topic" bit actually started out as a joke (in my head) based on the other thread, but apologists really grind my gears, so it came out a lot more judgemental than I originally intended. Still, science calls for rigorous debate, so yeah, I'm okay with it in the end.

Fair enough. :drinker:
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    As god is my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly - Arthur Carlson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

This makes me laugh every time.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    in... for later. heeheehee
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Virtually every scientist now concedes that universe and time itself had beginning. So, whatever begins to exist has a cause. The universe began to exist. Therefore, the universe must have had a cause. ~Lee Strobel

Apologetics is not science. It's Christian anti-science claptrap. Please try to stay on topic.

Yeah, that's what the doctors said to people who mentioned that the Bible says they need to wash after coming in contact with blood or semen. Prior to the acceptance of germ theory, doctors regularly spread gangrene and other diseases by not washing between surgeries and delivering babies. Such antiquated views, the learned men pontificated, washing! What anti-science claptrap!

Yay! More apologetic nonsense! Please cite your sources, good sir (or ma'am)!

Leviticus 15
    Very detailed information about discharge, pus, blood, saliva and semen. It even goes so far as to say that earthen vessels touched by discharge is to be broken, but wood can be cleaned. Even then, before mankind knew of germs, they were given instructions on handling contagious materials, to the point of microscopic pores in pottery that could harbor dormant viruses.

Ah, but the arrogance of man! These scientific minded men "knew" for a "fact" disease had nothing to do with washing hands! So they went from dping autopsies to birthing babies without so much as s courteous glance at the wisdom of the One that created him.

"The Science Book," 2001, UK, Weidenfeld & Nicolson
    It is a reference book of scientific discovery from 35,000 BC - 2000

If you are more inclined to look it up online:

Wikipedia germ theory of disease:
    "Ignaz Semmelweis
    Ignaz Semmelweis was a Hungarian obstetrician working at the Vienna General Hospital (Allgemeines Krankenhaus) in 1847, when he noticed the dramatically high incidence of death from puerperal fever among women who delivered at the hospital with the help of the doctors and medical students. Births attended by the midwives were relatively safe. Investigating further, Semmelweis made the connection between puerperal fever and examinations of delivering women by doctors, and further realized that these physicians had usually come directly from autopsies. Asserting that puerperal fever was a contagious disease and that matter from autopsies were implicated in its development, Semmelweis made doctors wash their hands with chlorinated lime water before examining pregnant women, thereby reducing mortality from childbirth from 18% to 2.2% at his hospital. Nevertheless, he and his theories were rejected by most of the contemporary medical establishment."
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's what the doctors said to people who mentioned that the Bible says they need to wash after coming in contact with blood or semen. Prior to the acceptance of germ theory, doctors regularly spread gangrene and other diseases by not washing between surgeries and delivering babies. Such antiquated views, the learned men pontificated, washing! What anti-science claptrap!

Yay! More apologetic nonsense! Please cite your sources, good sir (or ma'am)!

Leviticus 15
    Very detailed information about discharge, pus, blood, saliva and semen. It even goes so far as to say that earthen vessels touched by discharge is to be broken, but wood can be cleaned. Even then, before mankind knew of germs, they were given instructions on handling contagious materials, to the point of microscopic pores in pottery that could harbor dormant viruses.

Ah, but the arrogance of man! These scientific minded men "knew" for a "fact" disease had nothing to do with washing hands! So they went from dping autopsies to birthing babies without so much as s "courteous glance at the wisdom of the One that created him."

"The Science Book," 2001, UK, Weidenfeld & Nicolson
    It is a reference book of scientific discovery from 35,000 BC - 2000

If you are more inclined to look it up online:

Wikipedia germ theory of disease:
    "Ignaz Semmelweis
    Ignaz Semmelweis was a Hungarian obstetrician working at the Vienna General Hospital (Allgemeines Krankenhaus) in 1847, when he noticed the dramatically high incidence of death from puerperal fever among women who delivered at the hospital with the help of the doctors and medical students. Births attended by the midwives were relatively safe. Investigating further, Semmelweis made the connection between puerperal fever and examinations of delivering women by doctors, and further realized that these physicians had usually come directly from autopsies. Asserting that puerperal fever was a contagious disease and that matter from autopsies were implicated in its development, Semmelweis made doctors wash their hands with chlorinated lime water before examining pregnant women, thereby reducing mortality from childbirth from 18% to 2.2% at his hospital. Nevertheless, he and his theories were rejected by most of the contemporary medical establishment."

Thanks. I'll look at it when I get home. While I'm waiting to get there, could you explain to me how they knew about microscopic pores in pottery but didn't understand that wood is permeable and can just as easily harbor infectious bacteria?
  • Scots_Lenny
    Options
    I cannot change the laws of physics, Captain! A've got to have thirty minutes.

This is real science!!
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way they could get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today. - Lawrence Krauss
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way they could get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today. - Lawrence Krauss

That's a great one, and it always blows my mind!
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    “No Geologist worth anything is permanently bound to a desk or laboratory, but the charming notion that true science can only be based on unbiased observation of nature in the raw is mythology. Creative work, in geology and anywhere else, is interaction and synthesis: half-baked ideas from a bar room, rocks in the field, chains of thought from lonely walks, numbers squeezed from rocks in a laboratory, numbers from a calculator riveted to a desk, fancy equipment usually malfunctioning on expensive ships, cheap equipment in the human cranium, arguments before a road cut.”
    ― Stephen Jay Gould, An Urchin in the Storm: Essays about Books and Ideas
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I wish this were worded more succinctly, but it amuses me none the less :)

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness. ~ Charles Darwin

In other words, everyone enjoys a little scientific smackdown.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The U.S. is moving to the metric system, inch by inch.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I think it would look something like this:

gdpop.gif
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

I think it would look something like this:

gdpop.gif

Sweet Mother of Pearl! Lordy. . . .I just. . . .wow.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Geologists. . . .where is the love?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oKQmYndGfQ
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    One of my personal favorites:

"The Creator would appear as endowed with a passion for stars, on the one hand, and for beetles on the other, for the simple reason that there are nearly 300,000 species of beetle known, and perhaps more, as compared with somewhat less than 9,000 species of birds and a little over 10,000 species of mammals. Beetles are actually more numerous than the species of any other insect order. That kind of thing is characteristic of nature."

The implication being that if a creator existed, it would seem they spent an inordinate amount of time on creating the perfect beetle.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    "... I drank what?"

- Socrates
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    "... I drank what?"

- Socrates

That reminds me of one of my favorite '80s movies, Real Genius.
  • dcunning11235
    dcunning11235 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Three quotes, of varying sentiment:

Science. It works, *****es.
    -Randall Munroe (via XKCD); repeated by numerous others.

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'
    -Issac Asimov

Finally, a longer one which I find personally challenging (I'm not overly find of religions in general) and which also seems highly appropriate given some of the the comments in this thread:

Western civilization, it seems to me, stands by two great heritages. One is the scientific spirit of adventure — the adventure into the unknown, an unknown which must be recognized as being unknown in order to be explored; the demand that the unanswerable mysteries of the universe remain unanswered; the attitude that all is uncertain; to summarize it — the humility of the intellect. The other great heritage is Christian ethics — the basis of action on love, the brotherhood of all men, the value of the individual — the humility of the spirit.

These two heritages are logically, thoroughly consistent. But logic is not all; one needs one's heart to follow an idea. If people are going back to religion, what are they going back to? Is the modern church a place to give comfort to a man who doubts God — more, one who disbelieves in God? Is the modern church a place to give comfort and encouragement to the value of such doubts? So far, have we not drawn strength and comfort to maintain the one or the other of these consistent heritages in a way which attacks the values of the other? Is this unavoidable? How can we draw inspiration to support these two pillars of western civilization so that they may stand together in full vigor, mutually unafraid? Is this not the central problem of our time?
    -Richard P. Feynman
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    "Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." ~ Wernher Von Braun

“We are star stuff harvesting sunlight.” ― Carl Sagan
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

This guy is has degrees in journalism and law. Not a speck of science in sight.