What is your FAVORITE SCIENTIFIC QUOTE?

Options

Replies

• redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Carl Sagan:

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
    ― Carl Sagan

“Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?”
    ― Carl Sagan

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.”
    ― Carl Sagan
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    "I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means that you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awed by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and reinvigorate it"
    -Robert Sapolsky
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Carl Sagan:

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”
    ― Carl Sagan

“Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?”
    ― Carl Sagan

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Gah! I was going to quote Carl. You beat me to it! :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Virtually every scientist now concedes that universe and time itself had beginning. So, whatever begins to exist has a cause. The universe began to exist. Therefore, the universe must have had a cause. ~Lee Strobel

Apologetics is not science. It's Christian anti-science claptrap. Please try to stay on topic.

Yeah, that's what the doctors said to people who mentioned that the Bible says they need to wash after coming in contact with blood or semen. Prior to the acceptance of germ theory, doctors regularly spread gangrene and other diseases by not washing between surgeries and delivering babies. Such antiquated views, the learned men pontificated, washing! What anti-science claptrap!

Yay! More apologetic nonsense! Please cite your sources, good sir (or ma'am)!

Leviticus 15
    Very detailed information about discharge, pus, blood, saliva and semen. It even goes so far as to say that earthen vessels touched by discharge is to be broken, but wood can be cleaned. Even then, before mankind knew of germs, they were given instructions on handling contagious materials, to the point of microscopic pores in pottery that could harbor dormant viruses.

Ah, but the arrogance of man! These scientific minded men "knew" for a "fact" disease had nothing to do with washing hands! So they went from dping autopsies to birthing babies without so much as s courteous glance at the wisdom of the One that created him.

"The Science Book," 2001, UK, Weidenfeld & Nicolson
    It is a reference book of scientific discovery from 35,000 BC - 2000

If you are more inclined to look it up online:

Wikipedia germ theory of disease:
    "Ignaz Semmelweis
    Ignaz Semmelweis was a Hungarian obstetrician working at the Vienna General Hospital (Allgemeines Krankenhaus) in 1847, when he noticed the dramatically high incidence of death from puerperal fever among women who delivered at the hospital with the help of the doctors and medical students. Births attended by the midwives were relatively safe. Investigating further, Semmelweis made the connection between puerperal fever and examinations of delivering women by doctors, and further realized that these physicians had usually come directly from autopsies. Asserting that puerperal fever was a contagious disease and that matter from autopsies were implicated in its development, Semmelweis made doctors wash their hands with chlorinated lime water before examining pregnant women, thereby reducing mortality from childbirth from 18% to 2.2% at his hospital. Nevertheless, he and his theories were rejected by most of the contemporary medical establishment."

Leviticus 15 is interesting reading, and can certainly be interpreted as instructions for reducing the risk of spreading disease. However it does get some things wrong (like ignoring the porosity of wood). It also reads more like "Ewwww, icky!" than a serious treatise on the halting of infectious disease.

It also somewhat loses it's credibility at 15:29 -

29. On the eighth day she must take two doves or two young pigeons and bring them to the priest at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 30 The priest is to sacrifice one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. In this way he will make atonement for her before the Lord for the uncleanness of her discharge.

Also, why not detailed instructions on how to make an autoclave, antibacterial soap and antibiotics?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Virtually every scientist now concedes that universe and time itself had beginning. So, whatever begins to exist has a cause. The universe began to exist. Therefore, the universe must have had a cause. ~Lee Strobel

Apologetics is not science. It's Christian anti-science claptrap. Please try to stay on topic.

Yeah, that's what the doctors said to people who mentioned that the Bible says they need to wash after coming in contact with blood or semen. Prior to the acceptance of germ theory, doctors regularly spread gangrene and other diseases by not washing between surgeries and delivering babies. Such antiquated views, the learned men pontificated, washing! What anti-science claptrap!

Leviticus 15
    Very detailed information about discharge, pus, blood, saliva and semen. It even goes so far as to say that earthen vessels touched by discharge is to be broken, but wood can be cleaned. Even then, before mankind knew of germs, they were given instructions on handling contagious materials, to the point of microscopic pores in pottery that could harbor dormant viruses.

Ah, but the arrogance of man! These scientific minded men "knew" for a "fact" disease had nothing to do with washing hands! So they went from dping autopsies to birthing babies without so much as s courteous glance at the wisdom of the One that created him.

"Ignaz Semmelweis
    Ignaz Semmelweis was a Hungarian obstetrician working at the Vienna General Hospital (Allgemeines Krankenhaus) in 1847, when he noticed the dramatically high incidence of death from puerperal fever among women who delivered at the hospital with the help of the doctors and medical students. Births attended by the midwives were relatively safe. Investigating further, Semmelweis made the connection between puerperal fever and examinations of delivering women by doctors, and further realized that these physicians had usually come directly from autopsies. Asserting that puerperal fever was a contagious disease and that matter from autopsies were implicated in its development, Semmelweis made doctors wash their hands with chlorinated lime water before examining pregnant women, thereby reducing mortality from childbirth from 18% to 2.2% at his hospital. Nevertheless, he and his theories were rejected by most of the contemporary medical establishment."

Leviticus 15 is an interesting reading, and can certainly be interpreted as instructions for reducing the risk of spreading disease. However it does get some things wrong (like ignoring the porosity of wood). It also reads more like "Ewwww, icky!" than a serious treatise on the halting of infectious disease.

29. On the eighth day she must take two doves or two young pigeons and bring them to the priest at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 30 The priest is to sacrifice one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering. In this way he will make atonement for her before the Lord for the uncleanness of her discharge.

Also, why not detailed instructions on how to make an autoclave, antibacterial soap and antibiotics?

Keeps priests busy?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Occam's Razor
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Leviticus 15

Ah, but the arrogance of man! These scientific minded men "knew" for a "fact" disease had nothing to do with washing hands! So they went from dping autopsies to birthing babies without so much as s "courteous glance at the wisdom of the One that created him."

"Ignaz Semmelweis

Thanks. I'll look at it when I get home. While I'm waiting to get there, could you explain to me how they knew about microscopic pores in pottery but didn't understand that wood is permeable and can just as easily harbor infectious bacteria?

Not trying to be facicious here, but hardwoods are a lot more dense than earthenware from thousands of years ago. The point was made that some materials were more easily sanitized than others. How would humans that long ago know that?

Are you aware that 40% of patients admitted these days to the hospital are there because of iatrogenic diseases - that is, diseases caused by a doctor's care?

I don't think the science vs. religion argument makes sense. One can enhance the understanding of the other, much like music and math complement one another.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    She blinded me with science!

- Magnus Pyke
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Einstein
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    But deep down, at the molecular heart of life, the trees and we are essentially identical. - Carl Sagan
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Einstein

i-never-said-half-the-crap-people-said-i-did-albert-einstein.jpg
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Pure Energy - Spock
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Leviticus 15

"Ignaz Semmelweis

Leviticus 15 is interesting reading, and can certainly be interpreted as instructions for reducing the risk of spreading disease. However it does get some things wrong (like ignoring the porosity of wood). It also reads more like "Ewwww, icky!" than a serious treatise on the halting of infectious disease.

Hardwoods are more dense than pottery, and more easily sanitized. It doesn't lose any credibility at all. It's just that you don't believe that sinful actions have any bearing on health, and don't believe in atonement for said sins (unless you do believe, then I apologize, I don't want to assume). Taking tests and public speaking can cause diarrhea, and chronic stress and the inflammation it causes are linked to many diseases. I think that atonement allows the person the be free from guilt. Guilt causes stress, stress harms the body. Plus, many vices/sins cause poor health, such as alcoholism and the liver, sleeping around and STD's, etc. just because there isn't a medical term for it doesn't mean it isn't real. Many people, myself included, have been healed by God miraculously. That doctor's can't explain it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Antibacterial soap is now being blamed for the resistance of bacteria to antibiotics.
  • sinker59
    Options
    You're gonna need a bigger boat. - Chief Brody
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    "we are the universe experiencing itself" - Carl Sagan (I think)

"we are all made of star-stuff" - carl Sagan

"Right now, in space, are approximately 10,000 visible galaxies.
    Each of those galaxies contains anywhere from ten million to one trillion stars.
    The average star is roughly a million times the size of Earth.
    And yet, the Universe is more than 90 percent empty space.
    That just covers one thirteen-millionth of the entire night sky.
    We are insignificant" - Unknown.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    If light travels at 299792458 miles per second, what is the speed of dark?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Gravity can't be held responsible for 2 people falling in love

- Einstein