What is your FAVORITE SCIENTIFIC QUOTE?

Options

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    "When I hear about Schrodinger's cat, I reach for my gun." - Stephen Hawking

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less." - Marie Curie

"Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne (A Journey to the Center of the Earth)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Hardwoods are more dense than pottery, and more easily sanitized. It doesn't lose any credibility at all. It's just that you don't believe that sinful actions have any bearing on health, and don't believe in atonement for said sins (unless you do believe, then I apologize, I don't want to assume). Taking tests and public speaking can cause diarrhea, and chronic stress and the inflammation it causes are linked to many diseases. I think that atonement allows the person the be free from guilt. Guilt causes stress, stress harms the body. Plus, many vices/sins cause poor health, such as alcoholism and the liver, sleeping around and STD's, etc. just because there isn't a medical term for it doesn't mean it isn't real. Many people, myself included, have been healed by God miraculously. That doctor's can't explain it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Antibacterial soap is now being blamed for the resistance of bacteria to antibiotics.
    [/quote]

So, can you point out where Leviticus advises which woods to use for semen-bearing vessels? This is relevant to my interests.

We're getting way off topic here, but the truth is that I don't believe in sin or sinful actions, and I don't think there's anything which needs to be atoned but that which plagues our own personal morals (whether we get those personal morals from religion or true introspection). However, that's a topic for another day. This thread is about science quotes, and you don't seem to have anything to contribute...
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    So I started this thread as a riff on the locked thread from earlier today, but y'all have delivered some awesome quotes! Thanks.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Hardwoods are more dense than pottery, and more easily sanitized. It doesn't lose any credibility at all. It's just that you don't believe that sinful actions have any bearing on health, and don't believe in atonement for said sins (unless you do believe, then I apologize, I don't want to assume). Taking tests and public speaking can cause diarrhea, and chronic stress and the inflammation it causes are linked to many diseases. I think that atonement allows the person the be free from guilt. Guilt causes stress, stress harms the body. Plus, many vices/sins cause poor health, such as alcoholism and the liver, sleeping around and STD's, etc. just because there isn't a medical term for it doesn't mean it isn't real. Many people, myself included, have been healed by God miraculously. That doctor's can't explain it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Antibacterial soap is now being blamed for the resistance of bacteria to antibiotics.
    [/quote]

So, can you point out where Leviticus advises which woods to use for semen-bearing vessels? This is relevant to my interests.

We're getting way off topic here, but the truth is that I don't believe in sin or sinful actions, and I don't think there's anything which needs to be atoned but that which plagues our own personal morals (whether we get those personal morals from religion or true introspection). However, that's a topic for another day. This thread is about science quotes, and you don't seem to have anything to contribute...
    [/quote]

Anybody who has been seriously engaged is scientific work of any kind realizes that over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words: 'Ye must have faith.'
    MAX PLANCK

A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.
    ALAN PERLIS

How about juxtaposing these ideas:

Max Planck said "As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter"

With this:

He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
    Colossians 1:17

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.
    MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
  • passifloraFoetida
    Options
    False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness, and when this is done, one path towards error is closed and the road to truth is often at the same time opened. -Charles Darwin.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Anybody who has been seriously engaged is scientific work of any kind realizes that over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words: 'Ye must have faith.'
    MAX PLANCK

A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.
    ALAN PERLIS

How about juxtaposing these ideas:

Max Planck said "As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter"

With this:

He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
    Colossians 1:17

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.
    MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.

I like Planck, too. Particularly:

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

As far as his fascination with god, he's no different than Francis Collins. Both are brilliant men who made fantastic breakthroughs in their field and found spiritual meaning in them. However, it was their meaning and, just because they saw it, it doesn't mean their work actually supports those views. Both Planck's and Collins' scientific achievements tell us facts (amazing, glorious facts) about the universe, but anyone who sees religious or spiritual meaning in those facts does so for personal reasons. A fact is but a bit of truth with no inherent meaning of it's own.

Speaking of Planck, I also like:

"The belief in miracles must retreat step by step before relentlessly and reliably progressing science and we cannot doubt that sooner or later it must vanish completely."

I think it's kind of funny that you would use Planck to support a couple of Bible passages considering Planck was a deist and on record that he did not believe in any type of personal god, much less a Christian one. I'm also waiting patiently for the name of that semen resistant wood from Leviticus, whenever you get a chance. I have...needs.
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    "Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."- Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • SuperC_85
    Options
    The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way they could get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today. - Lawrence Krauss

Love this!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    "Scientific revolutions, almost by definition, defy common sense." - Michio Kaku
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    "Science adjusts it's beliefs based on what's observed
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved."

Tim Minchin from Storm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    "Every one is a genius... but if you judge a fish on it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's entire life believing it is stupid" ~ E
  • infinitevast
    infinitevast Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Science is for guys that can't get dates.........time waster.

Noooooo! You're kidding right?! Lol

"Science is the poetry of reality."
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    "The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things which lifts human life a little above the level of farce and gives it some of the grace of tragedy."
    Steven Weinberg
  • sgpickering
    sgpickering Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Virtually every scientist now concedes that universe and time itself had beginning. So, whatever begins to exist has a cause. The universe began to exist. Therefore, the universe must have had a cause. ~Lee Strobel

Apologetics is not science. It's Christian anti-science claptrap. Please try to stay on topic.

Are you implying the universe has no beginning? And as far as staying on topic, I guess your input to favorite Biblical Quotes was about as on topic as this. Don't be a hypocrite.
  • DisinteGr4tion
    DisinteGr4tion Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m15mgojE8o1rs170bo1_500.jpg
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    "An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very stupid."
    --- Carl Sagan
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    "The proof of this is obvious and left to the reader"

Pretty much every mathematician, as a way to signal holes in a proof.
    Also, literally every proof in homological algebra.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    in...with nothing scientific to contribute..:happy: