Congratulating MFP friends who make bad choices

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You know what's interesting?

Fresh mozzarella and tomato salad with olive oil and basil + bread: yay! Healthy!

A slice of pizza margherita with basil (probably less calories than that bowl of salad): WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO YOURSELF? DO YOU NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH?
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    ::checks to make sure OP isn't on his Friend List::

If you don't like what I'm eating, you can feel free to keep that to yourself. Those who presume to judge me for what I'm eating would quickly find themselves off my list. I have never gone over my calories, and I meet the macros I target. Beyond that, OP can have a heaping helping of shut the &$%( up.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i get that there are a lot of processed foods out there that aren't great for you, but seriously? the goal shouldn't be entirely eliminating foods and branding them Good and Bad, it should be knowing your limits and feeding yourself properly no matter what's put in front of you. it's this kind of thinking that started my eating disorders and has me having panic attacks at the grocery store to this day. *kitten* that noise, eat a cookie, live a little.

whatever.gif
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If it was consistently bad, MAYBE I'd say something. And by consistent, I mean well over a week. But a few days here and there? No, I wouldn't say anything because it's rude. You don't know what is going on in their life. Maybe they're trying to wean themselves off fast food. Or they've had a very stressful or busy day. I know I get REALLY annoyed when people comment on things on my diary like they know it all. Like if they aren't paying attention that I'm trying to gain weight, and make snippy remarks about my food being unhealthy or too much. Or if I'm not as much as THEY think I should eat. It's irritating. My stomach has been bugging me for the past few days, so I've been eating around 1700 instead of making it up to 2000. And I'm recovering from an ED, so seeing numbers in the 2000 is TERRIFYING. But I usually never eat less than 1700, and that should be something.

I guess I went off on a tangent. Congratulate people on their healthy choices. It will motivate them to stay in that direction. Don't bring up the "bad" foods unless it's been a problem for a long time and they keep *****ing about not losing weight or feeling awful. Otherwise, not your business.
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I imagine this is what the OP looks like when scanning diaries.

cat-walking-funny.gif

OMG I'm in love with this!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't make noisy comments about my friends food choices, how do I know if its a cheat day or they just eat whatever they want that fits into their macros and many other possibilities. now,if a friend posts something about not losing weight and i see their diary is chock full of empty calories foods such as mcdonalds then I'll suggest them to rethink their food choices. other than that I try to mind my own business as to not offend someone who maybe eating a different meal plan then myself.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    this thread has inspired me to get mcdonald's for lunch. thanks op!
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    ::checks to make sure OP isn't on his Friend List::

If you don't like what I'm eating, you can feel free to keep that to yourself. Those who presume to judge me for what I'm eating would quickly find themselves off my list. I have never gone over my calories, and I meet the macros I target. Beyond that, OP can have a heaping helping of shut the &$%( up.

What Jim said
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a problem around here.

Too many times I see a diary full of McDonalds, and other junk, sweeties and pastries and so called "friends" like the diary and say things like "Great Logging!", "Well done!", or "Yummy day!".

We are all here to encourage each other to become healthier. If your MFP friend is falling off the wagon, it is your job to remind them that they are making a choice that is bad for them. Maybe they are letting old ways creep back in without realising it?

Do your friends a favour and let them know that they are going wrong. I would expect the same for the rest of my friends on MFP. Be hard on me if you see a slice of Pizza or a McDonalds happy meal on my diary!

It's time to stop blindly congratulating people on making bad choices that can ultimately lead to lower quality of life and ultimately, death!

Edit: I know I sound grumpy and normally I am not. Just concerned that's all :)

Sorry but real people eat real food, and that does mean enjoy a slice of pizza once in a while and having McDonald's. I had a pretty bad day yesterday, went to applebees happy hour and killed my calories for the day. I'm a winner though because I made sure to record every single bite I took and now it will affect my decisions for the rest of the week.

You're looking at it the wrong way, it's another victory recording especially on the "bad" days. I've had several bad days along my journey so far, but there's been so many more of them that were good that I've been able to drop 15 lbs so far, that's a win in my book.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    We definatly cant be friends.. I eat pizza probably once a week, the occasional oreo, drink beer, and every now and then go to chickfila. But the important part is i always stay at or under my calorie goal. Haters_Gonna_Hate.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Fresh mozzarella and tomato salad with olive oil and basil + bread: yay! Healthy!

A slice of pizza margherita with basil (probably less calories than that bowl of salad): WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO YOURSELF? DO YOU NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH?
    Well, 'cause "pizza" is Italian for "pie" and we all know pie is unhealthy.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Your definition of "bad choices" is not my definition of "bad choices".
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Too many times I see a diary full of McDonalds, and other junk, sweeties and pastries and so called "friends" like the diary and say things like "Great Logging!", "Well done!", or "Yummy day!".

We are all here to encourage each other to become healthier. If your MFP friend is falling off the wagon, it is your job to remind them that they are making a choice that is bad for them. Maybe they are letting old ways creep back in without realising it?

Do your friends a favour and let them know that they are going wrong. I would expect the same for the rest of my friends on MFP. Be hard on me if you see a slice of Pizza or a McDonalds happy meal on my diary!

It's time to stop blindly congratulating people on making bad choices that can ultimately lead to lower quality of life and ultimately, death!

Are they meeting their calorie goals? Macros? Are they losing weight.........or gaining......or whatever their goals are?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    fw7ih0.gif

Healthy is in the context of a whole diet. I fail to see how having pizza, ice cream, fast food every day is an issue, so as long as the big picture is that one is being conscious of getting their required nutrients or is an occasional yolo day. /shrug
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    TL:DR entire thread

Your definition of bad choices are my definition of winning when I make it all fit into my macros.

Eat what you want, stop judging other people.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Damn. That sounds good.

And so does that.

But yeah I've never understood what's so unhealthy about bread, cheese, meat, and veggies. Unless you subscribe to the mindset that wheat is poison, of course. :wink:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    The only response to OP:

fGO4lkU.gif
    THIS!
    :love:
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    this thread has inspired me to get mcdonald's for lunch. thanks op!

me too! I'm headed to those big beautiful golden arches right now.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

We are all here to encourage each other to become healthier.

That's not why I'm here.
    If your MFP friend is falling off the wagon, it is your job to remind them that they are making a choice that is bad for them. Maybe they are letting old ways creep back in without realising it?

Nope, that's not my job. If anyone on my FL thinks that's my job, they can remove me.

We're all adults. If someone eats 2k calories of pound cake, I'm going to say it sounds yummy, because it does. If they do it 3 days a week and are still achieving their fitness goals, I'm going to tell them they're bad@ss. If they're complaining about being squishy and jiggly, I might tell them to eat more protein. If they're whining about being constipated, I might suggest more fiber. If they say they're having a hard time not stuffing their face with pastries all day, I'll offer some advice that helped me when my sweet tooth got a little out of hand. If they flat out ask me to hold them accountable, and I have the time and desire to do so, I'll call them on their bull$hit. If they require excessive hand holding, I'm the wrong friend for them.

Personal responsibility.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

Are they meeting their calorie goals? Macros? Are they losing weight.........or gaining......or whatever their goals are?

^ This. I pre-plan most of my meals to meet my macros but I have whatever the hell I want. Pizza. Burgers. Chicken wings. Sweets. Beer. Wine. I make it all fit along side the greek yogurt, fresh fruit and vegetables, various lean protein sources etc. It's working for me. If someone criticized my diary I'd probaby laugh in their face.