Why is MFP so mean??

Options

Replies

• rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

There are a lot of these special snowflakes, as you call them (which I imagine is not a nice nickname). I've been here less than a month, but I have been on the forums most days in that month and my experience has been that the majority think some foods should be avoided. Sometimes just one thing - sugar, usually. Sometimes so many things I can't even imagine what their they allow themselves to eat.

Once I was even told not to do cardio. Not that it wasn't necessary, that it was bad. Funny? A little, but honestly it's more like a train wreck. Horrifying, yet I can't look away.

The internet is very much like a train wreck, that is true.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. If I listened to the majority of the advice I've been given on MFP so far I couldn't eat sugar, grains, or nightshade vegetables. I would need to eat high fat without eating oils and eat only lean meats. I shouldn't eat anything not organic but I shouldn't give up fast food.

This site is amusing, but OMG what a lot of nonsense.

Who the hell is giving out that kind of advice? From what I've seen the majority of the community defends all food in moderation, including sugar, grains and nightshade vegetables (even though I really don't know what that is?), fast food, oils, GMOs, etc. etc. That is the whole point of this website. Of course there are always those few special snowflakes who do defend what you just stated.

There are a lot of these special snowflakes, as you call them (which I imagine is not a nice nickname). I've been here less than a month, but I have been on the forums most days in that month and my experience has been that the majority think some foods should be avoided. Sometimes just one thing - sugar, usually. Sometimes so many things I can't even imagine what their they allow themselves to eat.

Once I was even told not to do cardio. Not that it wasn't necessary, that it was bad. Funny? A little, but honestly it's more like a train wreck. Horrifying, yet I can't look away.

I was going to stay out but this legitimately flies in the face of everything that I have read in the past 2 years. Some people will make the "claim" that you need to cut out certain foods, etc.. or that you must do one exercise to lose weight...or that a certain exercise (both strength or cardio) are bad for you, but that is normally met by a storm of MFPers (normally the mean ones) with all their data disproving such claims.

Oh, I'm not saying their isn't a lot of arguing on these points. That's usually when it gets "mean". I'm just saying my limited exerience has been more "don't eat this" posts.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, being mean is the only way to get a point across..
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Sometimes, being mean is the only way to get a point across to the fundamentally stupid..
    giphy.gif
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If MFP wasn't mean...

...then there would be no mean people threads...

...and no one, I say no one, would win at MFP bingo.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, being mean is the only way to get a point across to the fundamentally stupid..

5116456+_3986780f434f11a5ea0dc94a555b705c.jpg
  • determinedgirl1
    determinedgirl1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Smantha32 - that is great. You made me smile!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. If I listened to the majority of the advice I've been given on MFP so far I couldn't eat sugar, grains, or nightshade vegetables. I would need to eat high fat without eating oils and eat only lean meats. I shouldn't eat anything not organic but I shouldn't give up fast food.

Who the hell is giving out that kind of advice? From what I've seen the majority of the community defends all food in moderation, including sugar, grains and nightshade vegetables (even though I really don't know what that is?), fast food, oils, GMOs, etc. etc. That is the whole point of this website. Of course there are always those few special snowflakes who do defend what you just stated.

I was going to stay out but this legitimately flies in the face of everything that I have read in the past 2 years. Some people will make the "claim" that you need to cut out certain foods, etc.. or that you must do one exercise to lose weight...or that a certain exercise (both strength or cardio) are bad for you, but that is normally met by a storm of MFPers (normally the mean ones) with all their data disproving such claims.

Oh, I'm not saying their isn't a lot of arguing on these points. That's usually when it gets "mean". I'm just saying my limited exerience has been more "don't eat this" posts.

then maybe you should give it a little bit longer.

the crazy extends MUCH further than your limited experience.
  • determinedgirl1
    determinedgirl1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    OMG! That is freaking funny! I usually do not reply to these posts but you are cracking me up!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

So then I think you would be grateful to the MFP-ers who join the discussion to debunk whatever the myth of the day is, no?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

then maybe you should give it a little bit longer.

the crazy extends MUCH further than your limited experience.

Yep, cuz there's a lot of people out there that believe it's true, even though the myths have been debunked times over.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    (sorry, it was too tempting)

train-wreck.jpg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Then why do it? Why keep opening and responding when it's so frustrating that you feel the need to be mean?

Many time these "mean" people are being honest, straight-forward, or just blunt. Not the same as being mean. Also having different opinions is often interpreted as being mean.

Perhaps. But some posts are just mean. Honest, straight-forward, right or wrong, is there ever a reason not to be nice?

Nice is overrated.

Yup. And some of us are clearly chaotic evil

Lawful good usually gets further.

I can't wait until you've been around here for 2 years
    we'll see how polite you are then.:smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WTF is going on in here
    ????
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Smantha32 - that is great. You made me smile!

I stole the gif from the previous page. :smile:
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    Then why do it? Why keep opening and responding when it's so frustrating that you feel the need to be mean?

Many time these "mean" people are being honest, straight-forward, or just blunt. Not the same as being mean. Also having different opinions is often interpreted as being mean.

I disagree. I saw one poor person discuss her opinions about sugar this morning and bam 8 or 9 pages of personality disordered evil. A few nights ago someone posted they might have realized they are drinking too much, and page after page of "just work it into your calories. I still drink (burp)" People need fitness for a lot of different reasons: some people are sick, some were never taught a decent relationship with food, or sugar, or alcohol. The OP suggests that the reason we came on here was to learn the truth which she then immediately conflates with accepting abuse. I just wish people would understand that you may prefer your truth administered with a hammer, but others have a right to their path as well. Mean people suck. :flowerforyou:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Is it happening??
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    WTF is going on in here
    ????
    a glaring lack of reading comprehension from some... and a lot of other people responding to the thread title, instead of the actual post.

...and some gifs.
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    im really happy it worked out so well for you, but remember that not everyone is the same way and some people get offended, discouraged and hurt when being personally attacked for no obvious reason. im not talking about people who say "youre doing it wrong, forget everything and do this instead", by all means, no need to sugar coat. im talking about people who go "*rolls eyes* oh god, another know-it-all who buys into this crap *insert gif*". thats not helpful, thats condescending.
    [/quote]
    ^^^
    This