1000 pound club

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    and not to be nitpicky homie, but if you aren't doing squats like that, they may be the deepest you can go, but it's misleading because that isn't how you train.

I do my workouts Full range. If it cannot do it full range then I deload. That is how I train. Nothing is misleading. When I train for size and not strength then partial reps come into play to tear muscles a tab bit more then full range.

Then why are you on your toes? If you're going that deep with every squat, you should have the form set by now. Getting up on the forefoot like that isn't good for that drive up.

Have you thought of using a block or something as a wedge so you can get back on to those heels?

ETA - and wth does full range mean? ROM is different for everyone based on physio quirks.

Im also not posing and pausing to be seeing by a camera too. LOL
    Full range motion from what I have read.
    bench
    all the way down to chest then up to lockout. I also never ask for lift off the rack( when being spotted which is only for max or if it feels heavier than normal).
    Deadlift
    All the way up. Standing with shoulder back.
    Squats
    I have notice that if I use box squat vs low squats that low squats is easier to rebound from to get back up.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My son was in the 1000 pound club in high school and college. I know what it takes to get there. I respect the process. I admire anyone that achieves the status.

:smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    He guys/gals all that want to add me feel free. I have just recently started looking into powerlifting. Just happen to see this thread. I want some motivated strength training friends

You in the club bro?
  • dbmata
    Options
    and not to be nitpicky homie, but if you aren't doing squats like that, they may be the deepest you can go, but it's misleading because that isn't how you train.

I do my workouts Full range. If it cannot do it full range then I deload. That is how I train. Nothing is misleading. When I train for size and not strength then partial reps come into play to tear muscles a tab bit more then full range.

Then why are you on your toes? If you're going that deep with every squat, you should have the form set by now. Getting up on the forefoot like that isn't good for that drive up.

Have you thought of using a block or something as a wedge so you can get back on to those heels?

ETA - and wth does full range mean? ROM is different for everyone based on physio quirks.

Im also not posing and pausing to be seeing by a camera too. LOL
    Full range motion from what I have read.
    bench
    all the way down to chest then up to lockout. I also never ask for lift off the rack( when being spotted which is only for max or if it feels heavier than normal).
    Deadlift
    All the way up. Standing with shoulder back.
    Squats
    I have notice that if I use box squat vs low squats that low squats is easier to rebound from to get back up.

Sounds about right, as long as that "low squat" is below parallel. I still get up on to the balls of my feet, it's a fault I'm working on, getting those heels raised helps a lot.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I feel like tommorow I'm going to be doing video on work squat V's front squat V's pause squats. Because.

ALL THE SQUATS.... ALL THE TIME!
  • dbmata
    Options
    ****ing pause squats. As much as a pain as the pause bench presses I've been doing.
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    He guys/gals all that want to add me feel free. I have just recently started looking into powerlifting. Just happen to see this thread. I want some motivated strength training friends

You in the club bro?

Yup. Bench 385, dead 450, squat 350...I know my bench is higher than my squat...been nursing a back injury.
  • dbmata
    Options

You in the club bro?

Yup. Bench 385, dead 450, squat 350...I know my bench is higher than my squat...been nursing a back injury.

Jealous. I'd love a bench even 100# lighter.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm not near the 1000# club but I'm a girl so I doubt I'll ever get there!

I'm at 670# but haven't tested maxes since April.

Bench Press- 120
    Squat 250
    DL 300

My goal is to get my DL to 315 by the end of the year! And yes my bench is embarrassing but I do strongman so bench isnt all that important, I tend to focus on my log press!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    335 paused bench
    585 dead
    535 squat (585 with knee wraps)
    495x9 deadlift in a comp.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    100lb club on a good day lol
  • jonlfischer
    Options
    I just started Wendlers 5/3/1 this morning going to see how it goes.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I see lots of gains with this program. I do the t nation version of 5,3,1.
  • jonlfischer
    Options

I see lots of gains with this program. I do the t nation version of 5,3,1.

I have the ebook for the original but i am going to alternate my assitance work
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

No. A belt doesn't prevent butt wink. I think you need to go off and do some research. Just wanted to remind you that this whole thing started over you stating "it only counts if it's ATG" and "toes can't go over knees". Now adding in the belt comment, I think you need to learn a lot more before trying to make absolute statements or giving advice.

Also, it's one thing to go ATG with 135. It's something entirely different with an actual working weight (like I asked for video of). At least now you realize that due to structure and mechanics it is impossible to reach ATG with knees behind toes. I highly suggest for your own benefit you have someone record your squat sessions for a while.

squat is apparently one lift where my highschool gym really lead me astray lol.

i'm confused by "toes can't go over knees". I"m thinking your talking about the statement often heard 'your knees should not extend past your toes'.

Are you just saying that you couldn't get super low, like and inch off the ground, without extending your knees beyond your toes?

or are you also saying that its not a safety concern at all?
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I have the ebook for the original but i am going to alternate my assitance work

If you have the chance, pick up the Beyond 5/3/1 ebook. I think it will answer a lot of the questions you may have with the program and it addresses some issues that Wendler himself said needed to be fixed. Since you are interested in powerlifting, there is also a 5/3/1 for Powerlifting version. I haven't read that one but it seems like a good read for a potential competitive powerlifter.
  • CoachChris78
    CoachChris78 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been chasing it for ges now but since I'm always trying to cut weight I've never ahd the diet to really up my lifts

Bench = 231
    Squat = 265
    Deads = 353

total = 849
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

No. A belt doesn't prevent butt wink. I think you need to go off and do some research. Just wanted to remind you that this whole thing started over you stating "it only counts if it's ATG" and "toes can't go over knees". Now adding in the belt comment, I think you need to learn a lot more before trying to make absolute statements or giving advice.

Also, it's one thing to go ATG with 135. It's something entirely different with an actual working weight (like I asked for video of). At least now you realize that due to structure and mechanics it is impossible to reach ATG with knees behind toes. I highly suggest for your own benefit you have someone record your squat sessions for a while.

i'm confused by "toes can't go over knees". I"m thinking your talking about the statement often heard 'your knees should not extend past your toes'.

Are you just saying that you couldn't get super low, like and inch off the ground, without extending your knees beyond your toes?

or are you also saying that its not a safety concern at all?

Yopeeps was indicating that your toes must remain behind the knees and cannot extend past that. It's false, you should not restrict your knees to stay behind your toes (there were several links posted earlier that talk about why).

It is impossible to get super low (ATG) without your knees extending past your toes. It is mechanically impossible, you will end up on your butt or face.
  • dbmata
    Options

Read Rippetoe on squats in starting strength.
  • fpsmoto
    Options
    1000 lb club? I'm more like in the 100lb club cuz my arms are weak as hell. :(