1000 pound club

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can't even.

Only 135 on the bar is a completely different ball if wax than a working weight squat.

That won't hold up long term.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I can't even.

Only 135 on the bar is a completely different ball if wax than a working weight squat.

That won't hold up long term.

1) My legs were sore for three days straight I didn't even think I get back up after a low pause squat since low squatting you can bounce right back up easier than a parallel squat. I haven't experience DOMS in quads for more than a day in about two years.

2) That pause was about 30 seconds since guy could not figure out a good angle and where to take the pic. I never done pause squat with anything more or I would of did it with something higher up.

3) I actually hit the lowest setting on the squat rack cause well my school does not really know WTF there doing when it comes to weight training.
    Straighten your back and get off your toes and that's how low you can go.

Do you know what a butt wink is on a squat? If you know how to stop it could you tell me the answer.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Do you know what a butt wink is on a squat? If you know how to stop it could you tell me the answer.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3S5nrh9OF0&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Haven't clicked the video Tom linked but one consideration to make is that low back rounding in a squat tends to occur in some people at some location in the squat and it usually is related to depth in that once you hit a certain depth, the low back has to round in order for you to continue descending.

If that point occurs somewhere below parallel and gets progressively worse as you get deeper (which IMO it typically does get worse as you get deeper) then a reasonable solution is to stop going so deep.

So just for example if you can hit a squat that is just below parallel with minimal back rounding, OR you can hit a squat that is 15" below parallel with significant rounding, you're much better off with the former for both safety and competitive purposes.

As it pertains to your case I'd like to see what your squat looks like when you just break parallel.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Watch this:

Interesting well I will be testing my depth before I squat again. I also think that is where the squat belt can help you a little bit too.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

Watch this:

Interesting well I will be testing my depth before I squat again. I also think that is where the squat belt can help you a little bit too.

Let us know what you discover. SS nailed it. You have to get to parallel even if that means butt wink. ATG is great if you can maintain a straight back and good form.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Watch this:

Let us know what you discover. SS nailed it. You have to get to parallel even if that means butt wink. ATG is great if you can maintain a straight back and good form.

When you butt wink though that is your back starting to round.
    Another test I read is to put some tape on your lower back when you have good form. Then do the squat and see where the tape moves to stop butt wink or not go deep. I used to tend to over arch my back when squatting.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Even though, I do not compete how do powerlifters find there max in competition?
    What is a good way to test out max?

I was thinking like
    first set 50% of max for like 5 reps to warm up
    second set 70% 3 reps
    then test old max to see if you can still get it. If complete then go up by 10 pounds. Keep repeating till you fail.

My rest period is put weight on bar then 60 seconds on phone timer.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Even though, I do not compete how do powerlifters find there max in competition?
    What is a good way to test out max?

I was thinking like
    first set 50% of max for like 5 reps to warm up
    second set 70% 3 reps
    then test old max to see if you can still get it. If complete then go up by 10 pounds. Keep repeating till you fail.

My rest period is put weight on bar then 60 seconds on phone timer.

Many of us do a 5 rep or 3 rep max and then calculate out our 1rm (that's just to program our training). At the meet we get 3 attempts.

Attempt #1 is often what we know we can solidly hit for two to three reps.
    Attempt #2 is usually a previous PR or a bit heavier than our final working sets of our programming.
    Attempt #3 is usually a PR. This is the chance to push it and see what we've got. Many of us judge this by bar speed, form and how the lift felt overall.

When I test my 1rm I usually do something like this (based off a calculated 1RM):
    Warm-up Set 1: 30-50% 1RM (10 reps, 60 second rest)
    Warm-up Set 2: 50-60% 1RM (8 reps, 60 second rest)
    Set 3: 60-70% 1RM (3 reps, 2-3 minute rest)
    Set 4: 75-87% 1RM (1 rep, 2-3 minute rest)
    Set 5: 90-93% 1RM (1 rep, 3-5 minute rest)
    Attempt 1RM: 100%+ (1rep, 3-5 minute rest)
    Continued attempts: Base increase off speed of bar, form and RPE
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    DL 215
    BS 155
    not one I really work on.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Watch this:

No. A belt doesn't prevent butt wink. I think you need to go off and do some research. Just wanted to remind you that this whole thing started over you stating "it only counts if it's ATG" and "toes can't go over knees". Now adding in the belt comment, I think you need to learn a lot more before trying to make absolute statements or giving advice.

Also, it's one thing to go ATG with 135. It's something entirely different with an actual working weight (like I asked for video of). At least now you realize that due to structure and mechanics it is impossible to reach ATG with knees behind toes. I highly suggest for your own benefit you have someone record your squat sessions for a while.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Watch this:

No. A belt doesn't prevent butt wink. I think you need to go off and do some research. Just wanted to remind you that this whole thing started over you stating "it only counts if it's ATG" and "toes can't go over knees". Now adding in the belt comment, I think you need to learn a lot more before trying to make absolute statements or giving advice.

Also, it's one thing to go ATG with 135. It's something entirely different with an actual working weight (like I asked for video of). At least now you realize that due to structure and mechanics it is impossible to reach ATG with knees behind toes. I highly suggest for your own benefit you have someone record your squat sessions for a while.

My friend who used to go deep in squats decided not to anymore when he said there was like a little cracking noise in his hip. So he does not go deep anymore. I any going to study exercise science as a minor so sooner or later I will actually learn this stuff.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My friend who used to go deep in squats decided not to anymore when he said there was like a little cracking noise in his hip. So he does not go deep anymore. I any going to study exercise science as a minor so sooner or later I will actually learn this stuff.

I suggest sooner... rather than later

I squat my heavy loads belted- still have a bit of butt wink. Belts are for helpinjg brace your abs- not for you butt wink.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    With my 200# bench set (did 3 at the end of my high volume work) today, I'm now at the following:

Bench: 200
    Squat: 250 (Damn you knee, rehab!)
    Deadlift: 425

So, 875. 125# to go.
  • dbmata
    Options
    2) That pause was about 30 seconds since guy could not figure out a good angle and where to take the pic. I never done pause squat with anything more or I would of did it with something higher up.
    Practice them, they're a B.

I was doing 225# of those for 3 sets at 5-7 reps per set last thursday. Don't do 30 seconds, 3-5 is fine to get all that tension out of your sweet hams.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Practice them, they're a B.

I was doing 225# of those for 3 sets at 5-7 reps per set last thursday. Don't do 30 seconds, 3-5 is fine to get all that tension out of your sweet hams.

The guy using my phone did not know what he was doing when I already brought up the camera app. He couldn't find a good angle. He wanted me to just do another rep since he was lost using my phone which is four years old. I was like I am fine this pic was just for how my form was at the deepest I could go.
  • dbmata
    Options
    and not to be nitpicky homie, but if you aren't doing squats like that, they may be the deepest you can go, but it's misleading because that isn't how you train.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    and not to be nitpicky homie, but if you aren't doing squats like that, they may be the deepest you can go, but it's misleading because that isn't how you train.

I do my workouts Full range. If it cannot do it full range then I deload. That is how I train. Nothing is misleading. When I train for size and not strength then partial reps come into play to tear muscles a tab bit more then full range.
  • dbmata
    Options

I do my workouts Full range. If it cannot do it full range then I deload. That is how I train. Nothing is misleading. When I train for size and not strength then partial reps come into play to tear muscles a tab bit more then full range.

Then why are you on your toes? If you're going that deep with every squat, you should have the form set by now. Getting up on the forefoot like that isn't good for that drive up.

Have you thought of using a block or something as a wedge so you can get back on to those heels?

ETA - and wth does full range mean? ROM is different for everyone based on physio quirks.
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    He guys/gals all that want to add me feel free. I have just recently started looking into powerlifting. Just happen to see this thread. I want some motivated strength training friends