1000 pound club

Options

Replies

• strobehouse
    Options
    Yea, generally dead>squat>bench. Sometimes that seems to vary with an experienced or geared lifter.

I'd say that if your average gym lifter squats more than they deadlift 9 times out of 10 they aren't squatting deep enough.
  • strobehouse
    Options
    I'm at 1355 right now.

Bench: 365 lb
    Squat: 440 lb
    Deadlift:550 lb

My numbers aren't good for my current size, but I want to diet down some and maintain as close to these as possible. I would like to eventually compete in powerlifting and maybe strongman, but I have some work to do before I would feel comfortable competing.

I hope to be at 1505 by the end of the year.

Nate those numbers are awesome. If you want to compete at powerlifting my advice would be to get on the platform as soon as possible. You'll meet so many people and develop a passion for the sport way beyond what you had before.
  • joe_piercey
    Options
    How deep does a squat need to be to count? I should probably revise my lift stats. My squat is a quite a bit less going @ss to the grass.
    Yea, generally dead>squat>bench. Sometimes that seems to vary with an experienced or geared lifter.

I'd say that if your average gym lifter squats more than they deadlift 9 times out of 10 they aren't squatting deep enough.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    720 :grumble:

Squat: 245
    Bench: 135
    Deadlift: 340 (actually 341.5, but I'll round down)

You're an animal, wow!
  • dbmata
    Options
    How deep does a squat need to be to count? I should probably revise my lift stats. My squat is a quite a bit less going @ss to the grass.

O Gram, parallllllel. Or below.
  • arickettsjr
    arickettsjr Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My best training lifts:

Bench - 295
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 440

Total - 1140

I've been lifting consistently for +/- 3 years. I'm 27, 6'2" and 236lbs currently.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

O Gram, parallllllel. Or below.

Hip has to break parallel.
    tumblr_m4uj4aeFqu1qdcvmc.jpg
  • usmcmp
    Options

You're an animal, wow!

Thank you! My bench is very sad and I don't work on it nearly enough. At least I can bench that much all the way to the chest. It pains me to see the 1" bench press.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i JUST make it.

bench - 315 (just set that tuesday)
    DL - 425
    Squat - 285 (though i think im ready for that 3rd plate)

USMCMP, you are a total badass!

edit: wow there are some serious numbers in this thread! you guys are all awesome!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ATG squat is a full squat. Anything higher is not counted in my book.
  • dbmata
    Options

You're an animal, wow!

Thank you! My bench is very sad and I don't work on it nearly enough. At least I can bench that much all the way to the chest. It pains me to see the 1" bench press.

1" bench press??? There's a ball o beef type dude at my gym who does a 1" bench press in a rack with 3 plates. I figured he was just working lock out.

That couldn't have been his actual bench session?
  • usmcmp
    Options

You may not count it, but all the powerlifting federations count it as soon as your hip breaks parallel. I go by powerlifting rules.

I'm assuming you bench all the way down to chest?
  • usmcmp
    Options

You're an animal, wow!

1" bench press??? There's a ball o beef type dude at my gym who does a 1" bench press in a rack with 3 plates. I figured he was just working lock out.

That couldn't have been his actual bench session?

I constantly see guys who don't even reach half way to their chest. Working lockout is cool, but almost nobody touches chest (or even reaches block height).
  • yopeeps025
    Options

You may not count it, but all the powerlifting federations count it as soon as your hip breaks parallel. I go by powerlifting rules.

Anything less does not count in my book LOL.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

ATG is more of an Internet or high school football thing - it's definitely not the standard by which squats are measured in real competition. Not to mention ATG also brings with it a higher risk of lumbar flexion, puts more stress on the knees... but it's certainly popular on the Internet.
    I constantly see guys who don't even reach half way to their chest. Working lockout is cool, but almost nobody touches chest (or even reaches block height).

Egolifting is pretty common. I do sort of miss seeing comical half-reps and cheat curls, now that I have a home gym setup.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Anything less does not count in my book LOL.

Based on your pictures I highly doubt that you have the mobility and body structure (composition) to reach ATG. I could be wrong, but when you do test your maxes make sure to take video.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

ATG is more of an Internet or high school football thing - it's definitely not the standard by which squats are measured in real competition. Not to mention ATG also brings with it a higher risk of lumbar flexion, puts more stress on the knees... but it's certainly popular on the Internet.

So by powerlifting rules this a good form squat. I was also ways told to keeps those kness behind those toes.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    As long as your weight is on your heels, rather than your toes, it's generally fine for your knees to come out a bit in front of your toes (and good squat shoes make it easier to keep all your weight on your heels). In my experience you run into trouble when your knees are forward and you're up on the balls of your feet.
  • usmcmp
    Options

So by powerlifting rules this a good form squat. I was also ways told to keeps those kness behind those toes.

NO! Keeping knees behind toes increases hip and lower back torque. Also, you can't reach ATG without allowing knees over toes. It is physically impossible.

Check out: Fry, A.C., J.C. Smith, and B.K. Schilling. Effect of hip position on hip and knee torques during the barbell squat. J. Strength Cond. Res. 17(4): 629-633. 2003.

Actually, here's a good article: http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2012/09/dont-let-your-knees-go-past-your-toes.html
  • dbmata
    Options

Read Rippetoe.