1000 pound club

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ATG squat is a full squat. Anything higher is not counted in my book.

You may not count it, but all the powerlifting federations count it as soon as your hip breaks parallel. I go by powerlifting rules.

I'm assuming you bench all the way down to chest?

Anything less does not count in my book LOL.

Based on your pictures I highly doubt that you have the mobility and body structure (composition) to reach ATG. I could be wrong, but when you do test your maxes make sure to take video.

If you like I can post a pic later today from side view. I wondering at the gym who will do this favor for me? Im pretty sure my knees are behind my toes if not right on some plane.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

You may not count it, but all the powerlifting federations count it as soon as your hip breaks parallel. I go by powerlifting rules.

Based on your pictures I highly doubt that you have the mobility and body structure (composition) to reach ATG. I could be wrong, but when you do test your maxes make sure to take video.

If you like I can post a pic later today from side view. I wondering at the gym who will do this favor for me? Im pretty sure my knees are behind my toes if not right on some plane.

Definitely get a picture.

Do one with a warm up set and one at a moderate weight.

ETA: I have videos of me going ATG on Instagram (especially front squat). My knees definitely are over my toes.
    Also, I don't have anyone to take my videos, so I prop my phone up using dumbbells. No excuses to not get video then.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm at around 1,700 right now (Squat: 650, Bench Press: 405, Deadlift: 700)
  • yopeeps025
    Options

ATG is more of an Internet or high school football thing - it's definitely not the standard by which squats are measured in real competition. Not to mention ATG also brings with it a higher risk of lumbar flexion, puts more stress on the knees... but it's certainly popular on the Internet.

tumblr_m4uj4aeFqu1qdcvmc.jpg

So by powerlifting rules this a good form squat. I was also ways told to keeps those kness behind those toes.

NO! Keeping knees behind toes increases hip and lower back torque. Also, you can't reach ATG without allowing knees over toes. It is physically impossible.

Check out: Fry, A.C., J.C. Smith, and B.K. Schilling. Effect of hip position on hip and knee torques during the barbell squat. J. Strength Cond. Res. 17(4): 629-633. 2003.

Actually, here's a good article: http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2012/09/dont-let-your-knees-go-past-your-toes.html

I guess that makes sense. So then what up not having your toes point straight forward? I don't think I use wide squats.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Definitely chasing that.

Squat: 275
    Bench: 160
    Deadlift: 345

total: 780

one day...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    IN for pics, yopeeps.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Definitely chasing that.

one day...

That's incredible!
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I got a hernia just reading those numbers.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    It sounds like I need to put up a pic for my safety. I already tore a pec in the past on the bench press from incorrect form. Usually people do speak up at the gym when they see incorrect form. They also usually only speak up when they can do more weight though.
  • joe_piercey
    Options
    Revised based on what qualifies for squat.

Bench - 280
    Deadlift - 410
    Squat - 320

...using calculator... phew, just made it. Is there a pin or something?
    How deep does a squat need to be to count? I should probably revise my lift stats. My squat is a quite a bit less going @ss to the grass.
    Yea, generally dead>squat>bench. Sometimes that seems to vary with an experienced or geared lifter.

I'd say that if your average gym lifter squats more than they deadlift 9 times out of 10 they aren't squatting deep enough.

O Gram, parallllllel. Or below.

Hip has to break parallel.
    tumblr_m4uj4aeFqu1qdcvmc.jpg
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I haven't done heavy singles in a while, but I estimate I'm in the 950 range at 49. When I was younger, I got over 1,100. My PR for bench is 305 and squat is 405. I don't remember my pr for deads, but they were always better than my squats. I did the squat at a 24 hour fitness in the cage with no spotter. I could feel the bar bending. It took a lot of work and creatine to get to 305 on the bench. Once I get under 190, maybe I'll try getting back in the 1000 pound club.
  • joe_piercey
    Options
    This is monstrous. :drinker:

I finally noticed the smiley button.:laugh:
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Definitely chasing that.

one day...

That's incredible!

Thanks! You're right on my heels... you've put up some pretty impressive numbers yourself!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I test out when it's a little more empty- that way I can put my phone up on the neighboring equipment without bothering anyone.

latest pictures I posted were from a video- took a screen shot of them when they were paused. Easy pease.

Also good form =/= make a legal or not legal squat.

if you're knees are knock kneed and all over- but you break parallel and stand back up- it's legal. it doesn't have to be pretty and perfect to be legal. Obviously at your own risk- but just saying good form does not a legal squat make.

As for me- I am not 1000.

Rather not happy with where I am- but I shouldn't complain
    Last offical "Test" (and I did them per meet rules as best I could)

total of 715
    squat 225
    bench 185
    dead lift 305

if I take my none official mid cycle numbers I pulled yesterday
    its' only 695 total
    squat 235
    bench 185
    DL 275- I actually failed 305 2x.

I think next time I test I won't miss 305- I think that happened b/c I was fasted- and at the end of the workout- last lift- and i crammed all my max lifts into a 75 min lifting session- but excuse are excuses.

695 it is then. I was really happy to see the squat go up- it would have gotten at least 1 red light- it was barely legal- but whatever- I'll take it.

3 more weeks I'll actually test out. WOOT WOOT!
  • usmcmp
    Options

I test out when it's a little more empty- that way I can put my phone up on the neighboring equipment without bothering anyone.

latest pictures I posted were from a video- took a screen shot of them when they were paused. Easy pease.

if you're knees are knock kneed and all over- but you break parallel and stand back up- it's legal. it doesn't have to be pretty and perfect to be legal. Obviously at your own risk- but just saying good form does not a legal squat make.

total of 715
    squat 225
    bench 185
    dead lift 305

its' only 695 total
    squat 235
    bench 185

I think next time I test I won't miss 305- I think that happened b/c I was fasted- and at the end of the workout- last lift- and i crammed all my max lifts into a 75 min lifting session- but excuse are excuses.

695 it is then. I was really happy to see the squat go up- it would have gotten at least 1 red light- it was barely legal- but whatever- I'll take it.

Nice numbers!

3rd and 4th attempts at meets are often very ugly form. You saw my record setting deadlift lift. Horrible knee cave, but all that counts is no hitch and I locked it out.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

total of 715
    squat 225
    bench 185
    dead lift 305

its' only 695 total
    squat 235
    bench 185

My school gym will never empty since fall semester is on.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I rarely (never) max out, but according to 1RM calculators these are my theoretical maxes:

DL: 460
    BP: 208
    Squat: 425

Total = 1093

I have been consistently lifting for a year on a caloric deficit. :grumble:

My bench is ****ing terrible due to repeated shoulder injuries. :ohwell:
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    676.5 on the platform, and 735 in the gym - got a bit of work to do :smile:
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It sounds like I need to put up a pic for my safety. I already tore a pec in the past on the bench press from incorrect form. Usually people do speak up at the gym when they see incorrect form. They also usually only speak up when they can do more weight though.

YoPeeps,
    It sounds like you are not in good form all the way around by what I have read. I am just now getting back into lifting and squating after years out of the military. Before you speak please be right so people who want to do it correctly do not get the wrong picture of how to do things correctly. Here is the form that most people use and its from people that know what they are doing. Go here. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyberpump1.htm

Here are some snippets to help you along

"The first thing to discuss is not foot position or width of stance, but proper trunk position. Pretend you are a soldier and the meanest, ugliest sergeant ever just told you "TEN-HUT!" You would automatically straighten up and pull your head and shoulders back. This is the proper position of the spine for the squat. IOW, your head is pulled back; your chest is raised; and you have a slight arch in your lower back. At no time during the squat should you bend over at the low back or look down. Of course you have to bend over at the hip (more on that later). You should not look up either. OK, so you got that down?"

"Now step up to the bar. Place your hands about the same width as a bench press (unless you are doing the shoulder breaker wide-grip variety) and make sure you are even on the bar before unracking. Take a deep breath, step under the bar and unrack it. Most squat injuries (according to Fred Hatfield) occur during the back up. Only take enough steps that you can clear the j-hooks or posts on the descent. Remember the "soldier position" even in the unracking and back up. Place your feet shoulder width or slightly farther apart. Think if you suspended a line from the ceiling it would brush against your medial delt and hit you in the ankle."

"Use the "practice" sessions to get a width that fits you. You might say many powerlifters squat with a wide-stance and they are pretty strong as a group. I'll agree wholeheartedly, but I'll also point out that the conventional squat is probably more productive because you are working through a larger ROM. Learn this way and then learn the variations if you like. After you have the width right, turn your feet out at roughly a 45 degree angle. Adjust the width if need be. Now you are ready to squat."

Well I could post the whole thing but you might need to read a little on proper form. Going heavy the wrong way does not make it right it just makes for bad advise. Thanks
  • yopeeps025
    Options

YoPeeps,
    It sounds like you are not in good form all the way around by what I have read. I am just now getting back into lifting and squating after years out of the military. Before you speak please be right so people who want to do it correctly do not get the wrong picture of how to do things correctly. Here is the form that most people use and its from people that know what they are doing. Go here. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyberpump1.htm

Here are some snippets to help you along

"The first thing to discuss is not foot position or width of stance, but proper trunk position. Pretend you are a soldier and the meanest, ugliest sergeant ever just told you "TEN-HUT!" You would automatically straighten up and pull your head and shoulders back. This is the proper position of the spine for the squat. IOW, your head is pulled back; your chest is raised; and you have a slight arch in your lower back. At no time during the squat should you bend over at the low back or look down. Of course you have to bend over at the hip (more on that later). You should not look up either. OK, so you got that down?"

"Now step up to the bar. Place your hands about the same width as a bench press (unless you are doing the shoulder breaker wide-grip variety) and make sure you are even on the bar before unracking. Take a deep breath, step under the bar and unrack it. Most squat injuries (according to Fred Hatfield) occur during the back up. Only take enough steps that you can clear the j-hooks or posts on the descent. Remember the "soldier position" even in the unracking and back up. Place your feet shoulder width or slightly farther apart. Think if you suspended a line from the ceiling it would brush against your medial delt and hit you in the ankle."

"Use the "practice" sessions to get a width that fits you. You might say many powerlifters squat with a wide-stance and they are pretty strong as a group. I'll agree wholeheartedly, but I'll also point out that the conventional squat is probably more productive because you are working through a larger ROM. Learn this way and then learn the variations if you like. After you have the width right, turn your feet out at roughly a 45 degree angle. Adjust the width if need be. Now you are ready to squat."

Well I could post the whole thing but you might need to read a little on proper form. Going heavy the wrong way does not make it right it just makes for bad advise. Thanks

I will have photos soon. I will do a pause squat at the bottom. I can get someone there to take two quick pics since I don't my fair share of helping others at that gym. Usually every time I go I know someone there from outside of the gym.