Do You Even Beer?

Options

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Glynn20 wrote: »
    I wish I had never tried craft beers. I'll never be happy with a Select 55 again.

Bottles every time and draft over bottled.

I second this. I don't know why, but there's something repulsive about craft beer in cans. Like... cans are for the crap beer that I drink when I can't afford the beer that I want....
  • TheSnarkasticSkyscraper
    Options
    Oh, I beer alright. It's Cleveland Beer Week right now. It kicked of this past Saturday and I celebrated by drinking ALL THE BEER.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Just because I know good beer/wine/food/cars/etc, doesn't mean I always have them. I can drink a Budlight, Shocktop, or other mass produced beer. Same with anything else.

Thinking about it though, I would rather NOT drink whiskey than have cheap/bad whiskey.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Thinking about it though, I would rather NOT drink whiskey than have cheap/bad whiskey.

Same with tequila. Unfortunately, I had to learn that by experience.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Oh, I beer alright. It's Cleveland Beer Week right now. It kicked of this past Saturday and I celebrated by drinking ALL THE BEER.

I dare you to do it again, tonight! (And I'll cheer you on the whole way!)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Ugh yes, finally a good thread and I read the whole damn thing.

I loooooove me some craft beer. I also love how Wine and Beyond has 10% off 6 craft bottles. <3
  • bob108819
    bob108819 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Ugh yes, finally a good thread and I read the whole damn thing.

I loooooove me some craft beer. I also love how Wine and Beyond has 10% off 6 craft bottles. <3

Just read thru it myself. Love craft beers, don't like getting too crazy with flavors (mild citrus and I do like some of the pumpkin stuff once in awhile). Really like a local Charleston brew (Palmetto Pale/Lager/Amber varieties). Out of convenience (all available at corner supermarket), I usually rotate between Sierra Nevada, Blue Moon, Fat Tire, and I am a big fan of Sam Adams, although it has been getting killed on this thread). Been laying off of it for awhile do to counting calories, but I miss it everyday!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on Yelp to get people's opinions. I was curious for some of my MFP home-skillets to sound off.

Please, let me say right now, I know I'm being an opinionated jerk. I am fairly certain the first 72 reactions will be, "why do you care about what other people like," or, "none of your darn business," or, "I am so tired of people judging others based on their opinions," and many other gems. I know (as I state in the yelp post) that I'm being knit-picky and kind of a jerk. But don't hate me because I want to hear your opinion on the topic. I just want to hear other folks' reactions because I'm curious... and a judgmental a-hole.

"I constantly feel like an a-hole when I post and this post is no different, in that respect. So, here I go again with my pretentious opinions. I'll say in-advance, it's okay for people to have different opinions than myself and I know I'm being ridiculous and a-holey, knit-picky, downright curmudgeonly, etc.

I DO NOT understand most people's taste in beer. I love me some craft beer. Like, to an unhealthy degree. When people ask what I like, I have a hard time and reply "good beer," because I'm not after anything specific (e.g. I'm not just an IPA drinker or something). I typically like IPAs, reds, pales, lagers and pilsners; however, they are amazing stouts, porters, sours / lambics, saisons, Belgians (although, I typically hate their fruitiness), doubles, imperials, oaked, aged, etc.

What I DO NOT understand, is how many people drink (what I consider to be) gimmicky crap. There are a slew of people out there who LOVE: vanilla, chocolate or caramel beers (way beyond minor notes of chocolate, but I mean CHOCOLATE), bacon maple donut stouts, oyster liquor porters, pumpkin ales, jalapeno lagers, etc. To me, it begs the question: do you actually like beer? In the coffee world, it'd be like someone saying: "I just love coffee, especially mocha frappuccinos, pumpkin spice lattes, and salted caramel drinks." You don't like coffee, you like flavored syrups and whipped cream with subtle notes of coffee.

In terms of beer, I'm all for innovation (ryePAs, black IPAs, LPAs, maybe even beer with a hint of fruit, such as shock top or pyramid's apricot hefe), as long as it's still recognizable as beer.

Anyway, you already know what a jerk I am. Sound off! Are gimmicky beer drinkers real beer drinkers? Or are they to be guilted by a-holes like me on Yelp?"

I agree with all of it. Now I have to have a beer!
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I love some craft beer or Irish beers like Smithwicks...but tonight it's whiskey.
  • goosebeartalk
    goosebeartalk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I get it. I love craft beer-- real beer of all varieties (even though I'm less of a fan of sours. Haven't quite gotten there yet). However, I do think there's a place for just enjoying silly beers sometimes.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    This thread is honestly what has kept me going this week. I could talk about oat soda all day long. What are you drinking tonight? I'm too poor for beer right now, so it'll be whatever wine we have around the house. But I can live vicariously through you!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Tonight, with luck it'll be craft IPA, craft spalt beer, and Imperial Oatmeal Stout.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Local brewery is doing a first draw on a new black IPA tonight. Got invited to the tasting party.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    Booya for the tasting party! Over the weekend, wifey and I tried Bling Pig IPA by Russian River and dear lord, seriously re-awakened my love for IPAs.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Russian River is good. Haven't had Bling Pig (yet).
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    Whoops! Blind pig, not bling. my mistake!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Whoops! Blind pig, not bling. my mistake!

Same reply ;)
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't care for junk beer and am enjoying a pint of espresso stout as we speak. OMG, it's delish. I don't think I'm answering your question nor do I care very much ;)!
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I hate beer, the taste of beer, the smell of beer, the bottling of beer...I probably worked in a beer factory in a past life.

however. This chocolate beer will require more Harvard level research.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    REAL beer all the way! My favourite at the moment is the Brooklyn Dark Chocolate Stout. Mmmhmm, and at £4.50 and 320 calories a bottle, I don't have it often.

I cannot stand these 'beers' with rum or tequila mixed in, just have a beer and a chaser!