I challenge you to lose 5 Pounds This Month January 2011

Options

Replies

• OnMyWeigh
    OnMyWeigh Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Gotta get back on track! Gonna resume MFP and get myself logging and working out. I got lazy and gained just over 6lbs... yuck... anyway, my goal is to loose 20lbs during this season of Biggest Loser. That's just over 1.5 lbs per week!

I know I'm a little late for this month but I love this group. I've missed you all... Gotta do this!

January starting weight is 182.6
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Well Jenn, I'm not posing too much of a threat on this race to 155... I had my dinner at Swiss Chalet all planned, then the waitress brought my daughter fries instead of mashed potatoes, and instead of taking away the fries, she left them for us... And of course, I had no willpower and ended up eating most of them! Argh... kicking myself now. I really should put on my sneakers and head downstairs to the treadmill for a few minutes... but it's late and I just want to curl up in bed! I'll let you know who won the battle tomorrow: angel (exercise) or devil (bed).
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    Ok, it turns out I won't be keeping you in suspense, since I am happy and wanted to share right away. I really did pick the treadmill over bed - I did a brisk 3.5mph walk with interval inclines for 30 minutes. So, I hope that and the 2 big glasses of water help counteract my bad food choices a bit, plus it also meets my 30 min daily activity challenge. Two birds, one stone! My next step is relax and bed. My throat is all of a sudden very sore - I'm wondering if it's from working out in the cold damp air in my basement?
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    dmgloah>> I am in for the race : ) I sure could use this motivation and 155 gets me 6 pounds away from my first goal to be under 150 so that would be really helpful.. : )
    I started the month out at 160.0 and the next day I was at 159.8 so now I have a head start at 158.2 : ) 3.2 pounds to go.

I did not exercise today I really should hop on the wii for a min but its been a rough day. first day of school for both my son and me and they are each ten minutes away from my house in opposite directions so i had to go to school then run 20 minutes in the opposite direction to drop off my son and then backtracked to my school to buy a book I didn't have time to buy then back the other way again to pick him up then it was time for a late lunch at 3:00 and then reading my 40 pages of text that i have to read by tomorrow night so i can take a quiz before I head off to school thursday morning. Plus I work swing tomorrow so tomorrow morning I will try my best to get my workout in but I have a TON of built up laundry to wash and a Ton already done that needs to be put away! wow its been a long week lol

Yesterday I was really really proud of myself. I did TWO twenty minute workouts with my ea active 2 trainer, she didn't push me as hard this time so I didn't burn many calories (140) but it was enough to push me over the edge and I went down by 0.4 so thats ok by me. : )
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    dmg are you in Montreal? I remember there was a Swiss Chalet up the street from us that slathered gooey brown gravy over everything.

Jenn and Terri - I missed the shoe discussion, but my Shape-Ups are dusting away in my closet too! However the novelty of them kept me walking more than I normally would for a good three months, so that's only 30 bucks a month. Worth it I suppose.

And by the way - Great news! My husband just joined MFP. Now I just gotta work on my sloppy teens.
  • saraegentry
    saraegentry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm in again, I slacked posting last month getting busy with the holidays, but I'm hoping to keep up this month! Last month I lost 1 lb, so I didn't gain, but I wanted to lose 5, so still a let down.

If I lose 5 lbs this month I'll be at my goal weight! :happy dance:

January start weight- 165.3
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am definitely in. Starting weight for January is 207. End weight on 31 Jan 10 WILL be 202.
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to weighing in, I been so well.....crossing fingers
  • 77Lola
    77Lola Posts: 37
    Options
    Good morning everyone!! I hope to get the comp soon and upload a photo! Can't do that from the iPhone. Up early getting kids ready for school and having my coffee! Hope you all have an awesome day!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I am In staring weight 194 I have a grand total of 69 more pounds to lose I have lost a total of in the last two years 181 pounds got to reach my goal in 2011

Wow......way to go! You must be so proud of yourself!
  • kbefit
    kbefit Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm in too! Since I'm new here it will be a great time to start!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Good morning...how is everyone doing with the challenge. I have done my lunges 2 days in a row. I got the dumbbells out yesterday and did some lifting but would not give it at A+ as workouts go. I did get a 5 k done on the treadmill Saturday and a 2 mile walk run on Monday. I also got on the exercise bike last night for 30 minutes. Every little bit helps. Todays myth

EXERCISE IN THE FAT-BURNING ZONE

The truth...THe "fat burrning zone" lies between 50 and 70 % of you maximum heart rate. When you exercise at this low intensity your body draws energy from fat. As your heart rate goes up, more energy comes from carbs. So it seems logical that to lose fat you should keep your heart rate low, says Jason Karp, Ph.D., owner of Run. (coach Jason.com)
    "Running at higher intensities causes you to burn a lower percentage of fat calories in favor of carbs." says Karp "but you use more total calories." And that's the key to slimming down. Plus since you torch more total calories, the absolute amount of fat burned actually increases too. So it pays to pick the pace.

Of course, lower intensity exercise still has its place. Long, slow runs build aerobic fitness and endurance. But to kick start a pokey metabolism, you need intensity. Karp suggests interval training ( condensed runs that mix in intense efforts with recovery) because studies have found these workouts burn more calories during and after exercise. "It also cuts down on boredom," he says, "which makes it more likely you'll stick with your program."

When I read this I think of a program like Couch to 5k. In this program you walk then run and walk and run.

Get out there and exercise!

Have a great day!

Terri
  • sapphirelazuli
    Options
    Jan 3 SW ...175lbs
    Jan 5 ..........169lbs
    Jan 12
    Jan 19
    Jan 26
    Jan 31

Erm. Hurrah?

Keep in mind this is a first week after a heavy drinking/eating period so I reckon it's mostly water-weight I've lost. Also it was *that* time when I weighed in at 175lbs so I wasn't taking it as completely accurate. But hurrah!

I'm still going to keep going though :)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting today's myth, Terri. I do better at intervals, especially when outdoors. I did day 2 of the EA Sports Active 2 yesterday. Though today is a rest day in the game, I still plan on doing the stairs at work today, just to feel that I did some sort of activity. I like to do the body test in the Wii Fit Plus game every day & it does a BMI and weight scan. The thing told me I was down 4.4 pounds in a day. It'd be interesting to see what it says tonight. Have a great day, everyone!!!
  • elysetoplin
    Options
    january 1: 156
    january 5: 154.5

granted, yesterday i didn't eat that much and spent the whole day traveling, but i'll take it!
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, Terri!
  • 77Lola
    77Lola Posts: 37
    Options
    So outta shape!!! Up and down my stairs...5min was all I could handle!!! Gee!!
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    Well everyone, as you can see by my updated ticker, I plan on sticking around for the next several month's worth of 5lb challenges!! I'm in for the long haul. :bigsmile: Normally, I'm too nervous about making longer-term goals because I tend to screw up so early in the game. I thought this make make me feel more accountable.

Karin, I am in New Brunswick (east of Montreal). They do have a Chalet dipping sauce, but I've never seen in slathered on anything - it always comes in a little bowl next to the meal.

Zara - yes, of course, hurrah! Even if it's water weight, rejoice that it's gone!

77Lola - 5 min is better than none! Keep it up. Aim for 6 for your next stair workout!

I must go refill my water bottle - who else needs to do so? Go do it now! :drinker:
  • ukredhead19
    Options
    So outta shape!!! Up and down my stairs...5min was all I could handle!!! Gee!!

5 mins is a good start....to getting into shape! don't be hard on yourself!

This is my new mantra this year....i can't have immediate results!!! It took a long time to put it all on, and its going to take a long time to take it all off! less feelings of failure = more feelings of success!
  • ukredhead19
    Options
    dmgal....thanks for the reminder on water, i was just contemplating a trip to the water fountain!