"All About That Bass" Rant

Options

Replies

• Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    This thread should be nuked just for getting that moronic song stuck in my head.

tumblr_m8f8xa0nN81rtlm6lo1_500.gif

^This...I hadn't even heard of the song until I bumped into this thread...:huh:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Watch the video to Anaconda. Glorious. Glorious!

I was very very bored today and watched about 60 seconds of it before getting the urge to punch my monitor.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Unless you've called out every single instance of fat-shaming you've been confronted with, you have no right to throw down about this song. Thin privilege is a very real thing and the "f**k skinny b****es" attitude that you are encountering now in media and music by Nicki Minaj, Meghan Trainor and others is a response. A response to what? To the fact that the vast majority of thin people have zero issue with soul-crushing body-shaming vitriol being slung around when it doesn't pertain to, or affect, them. To the fact that if you're not thin, you're viewed as lazy, stupid, etc. To the fact that if you're not thin, you're often seen as being unworthy of basic human decency and respect. If you've ever shrugged off another person's obvious humiliation and pain at being fat-shamed, but take issue with Trainor's tune (in which she doesn't actually even body-shame thin women), you're just awful.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    This is why I listen to classic rock and country music. Both genres don't care what shape you are as long as you have a vagina and don't look like a foot.

"Don't look like a foot"! LMAO!!!!
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I loved this song until today. I was waiting on my mother in law to drop my daughter off with me and this song came on. I did my usual thing and started dancing around in the car. Then i stopped and actually listened to the lyrics. I worked my butt off, sacrificed most of my favorite food, stopped drinking, stopped smoking, to get where i am. I have lost 40lbs and am finally happy. Then this song comes on basically saying that I'm less attractive now than i was when I was fat? Umm... no. I'm all for making ppl feel good about them selves, thats awesome. but if you have to bring other ppl down to do it, you can go screw yourself.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    As a mother of 4 teenagers, I don't think it's bad to have a song which sends a message that you DON'T have to be skinny. So many girls of normal weight have such huge body issues, thinking they're fat because they're not squeezing into a size 0. And as a woman, I can tell you a good percentage of boys DO like a little more to cuddle. I don't think this song promotes being fat, it simply sends the message that being healthy and having a little meat on your bones is ok. And it is. Would I like to lose weight? Yes. Would I like to be thin? Hell no.

Honestly, the **** you people find to get upset over ...
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    As a mother of 4 teenagers, I don't think it's bad to have a song which sends a message that you DON'T have to be skinny. So many girls of normal weight have such huge body issues, thinking they're fat because they're not squeezing into a size 0. And as a woman, I can tell you a good percentage of boys DO like a little more to cuddle. I don't think this song promotes being fat, it simply sends the message that being healthy and having a little meat on your bones is ok. And it is. Would I like to lose weight? Yes. Would I like to be thin? Hell no.

Honestly, the **** you people find to get upset over ...

There's nothing wrong with being confident and happy in your body at any size. The problem is when someone feels the need to name-call and ridicule others in order to pump up their own self esteem. People who do that come across as jealous and incredibly insecure.
  • LadyHobbledehoy
    LadyHobbledehoy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Meh. It's just a song. No offense but you should get over it and move on.

Meh. Ebola is only in other countries. No offense but they should get over it and move on.

The Crimean Peninsula is just a piece of land. Ukraine should get over it and move on.

Scotland is part of the United Kingdom. They should get over it and move on instead of voting on their independence.

Seriously? Let's just get over everything and care about nothing and move on. That will make the world a better place, for sure!

Yeah, 'cause those are totally comparable. :huh:
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Is the singer treble shaming?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Meh. It's just a song. No offense but you should get over it and move on.

Meh. Ebola is only in other countries. No offense but they should get over it and move on.

The Crimean Peninsula is just a piece of land. Ukraine should get over it and move on.

Scotland is part of the United Kingdom. They should get over it and move on instead of voting on their independence.

Seriously? Let's just get over everything and care about nothing and move on. That will make the world a better place, for sure!

lul. You hangry bro.

likitisplit: *kitten*.dat
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this right here.....

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/10/lets-talk-about-thin-privilege/

Edit: FYI, at different times in my life, I have been skinny and fat.

Great article! I suppose one could argue that these songs exist to show that big girls are beautiful too, based on the article.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Is the singer treble shaming?

Not shaming, completely bigoted against treble!

No Treble Allowed!

Bass Only!
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    And doesn't she basically accuse every skinny b!tch of having body body dysmorphic disorder?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The responses are hilarious, guys. Keep them coming, please. I haven't had this much enjoyment out of the forums since "Why wasn't I invited to my friend's wedding?" :drinker:

edited for a typo
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    The responses are hilarious, guys. Keep them coming, please. I haven't had this much enjoyment out of the forums since "Why wasn't I invited to my friend's wedding?" :drinker:

edited for a typo
    That arrogance.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I don't hear "thin-shaming" in this song. I hear an average sized woman saying she isn't going to let the entertainment industry air-brush and Photoshop her into the same unrealistically proportioned cookie-cutter image of a female pop star that dominates the industry

I'm not necessarily calling pop music "art", but part of the fun of artistic pursuits is seeing how different people see or hear it. So same song - You heard "Thin shaming" and I heard "women don't all have to look like Barbie dolls". Fun!

But seriously, now I will be desperately trying to dig this song out of my brain for days. If you see a woman walking down the street frantically shaking her head and banging on her ears muttering, "Get out. Get - It - Out", that's me.
  • Muscles_and_lipstick
    Options
    I had just gotten this song our of my head.
    Thanks
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

edited for a typo
    That arrogance.

draper%20wink.gif
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Great article! I suppose one could argue that these songs exist to show that big girls are beautiful too, based on the article.

Why does expressing a preference or celebrating one body type have to do it by insulting another. That makes zero sense, and is extremely hypocritical. This song would have been great if it celebrated the female form in all its sizes, considering curves or lack of curves have nothing to do with size and loving yourself and shaking your booty have nothing to do with weight, curves and overall size. She could have even just celebrated larger females and left the insults of others out of it.

I love the beat of this song and instantly liked it......then I listened to the lyrics, not happy about the way she delivered her message by insulting others. I did feel, well it's just a song.....then I saw the video on Nickelodeon. My 11 year old asked me why I work to be in shape, get smaller (at this point) and improve but everyone always comments on her size, she is tiny (17th percentile) and well muscled....not bone skinny but I swear that girl has a bf% in the low athletic level. My daughter is beautiful, healthy but tiny.....no one, especially a child should be ashamed of their body.....but being ashamed and confused about being physically fit.....is insane.

Do I like the song?....Yes

Do I like the message?.....Not in the least, but its a song.

My issue is it being marketed to kids, not just on the radio (thats fine) but on a child's television station, that most songs played are about feeling good and/or doing good. Maybe the song made some plumper girls feel better but it did it at the expense of my daughter. Kids take things on the channels geared towards them and assume that is how other kids feel and how they should feel, the way this song made my daughter feel was just wrong. Yes I teach her to love herself and to be healthy and active....also to not judge others on their bodies, but she can not understand why she can't feel someone doesn't look their best or that they don't look healthy but others can openly judge her. Any kid at school (or adult) can walk up and say "your so tiny, are you ever going to grow?" ....this is considered fine. She can not ever go up to someone and say " your huge, are you ever going to lose weight?" ....she would never want to do this but I would like someone to explain to me why she would face suspension and the person saying this to her, she should take it as a compliment or just not let it bother her?

For the ones that mentioned payback and years of the obese suffering.....my daughter has never harmed a soul....so F*** off, insulting a group on their body and claiming it is retaliation for others past wrongs without consideration to the individual is disgusting. Body shaming anyone is wrong and I am sorry but there is no justification for it.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Blurred Lines was a hit song about date rape.

oh FFS

[Intro: Pharrell]
    Everybody get up
    Everybody get up
    Hey, hey, hey
    Hey, hey, hey
    Hey, hey, hey

[Verse 1: Robin Thicke]
    If you can't hear what I'm trying to say
    If you can't read from the same page
    Maybe I'm going deaf,
    Maybe I'm going blind
    Maybe I'm out of my mind
    [Pharrell:] Everybody get up

[Pre-chorus: Robin Thicke]
    OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
    But you're an animal, baby, it's in your nature
    Just let me liberate you
    Hey, hey, hey
    You don't need no papers
    Hey, hey, hey
    That man is not your maker

[Chorus: Robin Thicke]
    And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    You're a good girl
    Can't let it get past me
    You're far from plastic
    Talk about getting blasted
    I hate these blurred lines
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    But you're a good girl
    The way you grab me
    Must wanna get nasty
    Go ahead, get at me

[Verse 2: Robin Thicke]
    What do they make dreams for
    When you got them jeans on
    What do we need steam for
    You the hottest ***** in this place
    I feel so lucky
    Hey, hey, hey
    You wanna hug me
    Hey, hey, hey
    What rhymes with hug me?
    Hey, hey, hey

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
    But you're an animal, baby it's in your nature
    Just let me liberate you
    Hey, hey, hey
    You don't need no papers
    Hey, hey, hey
    That man is not your maker
    Hey, hey, hey

And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    You're a good girl
    Can't let it get past me
    You're far from plastic
    I know you want it
    I hate them lines
    I know you want it
    I hate them lines
    I know you want it
    But you're a good girl
    The way you grab me
    Must wanna get nasty
    Go ahead, get at me

[Verse 3: T.I.]
    One thing I ask of you
    Let me be the one you back that *kitten* to
    Go, from Malibu, to Paris, boo
    Yeah, I had a *****, but she ain't bad as you
    So hit me up when you pass through
    I'll give you something big enough to tear your *kitten* in two
    Swag on, even when you dress casual
    I mean it's almost unbearable
    In a hundred years not dare, would I
    Pull a Pharside let you pass me by
    Nothing like your last guy, he too square for you
    He don't smack that *kitten* and pull your hair like that
    So I just watch and wait for you to salute
    But you didn't pick
    Not many women can refuse this pimpin'
    I'm a nice guy, but don't get it if you get with me

[Bridge: Robin Thicke]
    Shake the vibe, get down, get up
    Do it like it hurt, like it hurt
    What you don't like work?

Baby can you breathe? I got this from Jamaica
    It always works for me, Dakota to Decatur, uh huh
    No more pretending
    Hey, hey, hey
    Cause now you winning
    Hey, hey, hey
    Here's our beginning

I always wanted a good girl
    (Pharrell: Everybody get up)
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    You're a good girl
    Can't let it get past me
    You're far from plastic
    (Pharrell: Everybody get up)
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    But you're a good girl
    The way you grab me
    Must wanna get nasty
    Go ahead, get at me

[Outro: Pharrell]
    Everybody get up
    Everybody get up
    Hey, hey, hey
    Hey, hey, hey
    Hey, hey, hey

Please explain to me how this is about date rape?
This discussion has been closed.