"All About That Bass" Rant

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    "I know you want it." is gross.

my husband says that to me all the time!!! :laugh: i dont find it gross.... :wink:
    Context. Consent is important.

yes, and the context (other than the song) was a guy said he said he said it to a girl in a club... no different to my husband saying it to me...

its the answer and what goes on after that thats the issue, not a man saying 'you know you want it'... that statement doesnt make him a rapist.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you're going to rant, at least get the lyrics right:

"Yeah it's pretty clear, I ain't no size twenty-two" is incorrect.

It's pretty clear that she says "I ain't no size two"

Not that it makes a difference - It's a cute song anyway.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    c2fc5e31_take_a_bow_trans.gif
    And you make me sad for my gender. 1.3 acres of rainforest burst into flames everytime an ankle biting feminist makes up a "clever" new term. I bet you were just beaming inside when you typed that.
    My gender has nothing to do with anything that I've said and it's none of your business. You make me sad for humanity.
    See? Even humanity is based on man, so quit acting like your vagina's all superior. They're the top of the food chain.

Speaking of food, think of all the sammiches we could have made by now.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    yes, and the context (other than the song) was a guy said he said he said it to a girl in a club... no different to my husband saying it to me...

its the answer and what goes on after that thats the issue, not a man saying 'you know you want it'... that statement doesnt make him a rapist.
    Your husband saying it to you in the context of understood consent is VERY different from a random guy uttering it to a woman that he doesn't know at the club. No, the statement alone does not make a man a rapist. Yes, it is problematic, especially in the context of the song. Go back and read the link that I provided.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options
    And you make me sad for my gender. 1.3 acres of rainforest burst into flames everytime an ankle biting feminist makes up a "clever" new term. I bet you were just beaming inside when you typed that.
    My gender has nothing to do with anything that I've said and it's none of your business. You make me sad for humanity.
    See? Even humanity is based on man, so quit acting like your vagina's all superior. They're the top of the food chain.

Do not make assumptions about and/or refer to my genitalia. That, in itself, is gross. Humanity is not "based on man". Educate yourself.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Your husband saying it to you in the context of understood consent is VERY different from a random guy uttering it to a woman that he doesn't know at the club. No, the statement alone does not make a man a rapist. Yes, it is problematic, especially in the context of the song. Go back and read the link that I provided.

i'm not trying to be argumentative but what is 'understood consent?'
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options

It's an enthusiastic "yes" to sexual contact. There has to be absolutely no doubt that you wish to engage. It doesn't mean that your partner has to ask permission and receive expressed consent every time they want to kiss, touch, etc. you, but that consent must be implied by you. Not just willingness, enthusiastic agreement.

Here's an awesome, on-point video by Laci Green on the topic of consent:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD2EooMhqRI
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options

Do not make assumptions about and/or refer to my genitalia. That, in itself, is gross. Humanity is not "based on man". Educate yourself.
    I didn't need to know that you have a gross vagina. I was picturing it differently.
    Sexual harassment doesn't make you edgy.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    No, it makes me excited.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It's an enthusiastic "yes" to sexual contact. There has to be absolutely no doubt that you wish to engage. It doesn't mean that your partner has to ask permission and receive expressed consent every time they want to kiss, touch, etc. you, but that consent must be implied by you. Not just willingness, enthusiastic agreement.

i'm at work so i cant watch your awesome video, but i really dont get why someone cant say 'you know you want it' without consent....
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

A feminists that typically appeals to teenagers, speaks out against islam and mormons, and other religoius that are below her since she's an athiest, yet speaks out against "oppression."

Most of these social justice warrior vloggers are hardcore hypocrites, I'll pass on that video.

While I agree that consent definitely needs to be given, calling someone a rapist for saying "you know you want it" is the epitome of idiotic. Also, manspalin? seriously? lol. Women aren't better than men, just as men aren't better than women. If you want equality, stop fighting against it.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options

i'm at work so i cant watch your awesome video, but i really dont get why someone cant say 'you know you want it' without consent....
    Then you're part of the problem. No amount of glossing over the facts and over-simplification is going to make it okay. You've been provided with resources to educate yourself further. At this point, it's up to you to decide you care and check those links out or you don't care and remain ignorant.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    That Laci chick sure shows off her feministic cleavage a bit.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

A feminists that typically appeals to teenagers, speaks out against islam and mormons, and other religoius that are below her since she's an athiest, yet speaks out against "oppression."

Most of these social justice warrior vloggers are hardcore hypocrites, I'll pass on that video.

While I agree that consent definitely needs to be given, calling someone a rapist for saying "you know you want it" is the epitome of idiotic. Also, manspalin? seriously? lol. Women aren't better than men, just as men aren't better than women. If you want equality, stop fighting against it.

thanks for the cliffs notes!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Then you're part of the problem. No amount of glossing over the facts and over-simplification is going to make it okay. You've been provided with resources to educate yourself further. At this point, it's up to you to decide you care and check those links out or you don't care, and remain ignorant.

i'm part of the problem of why people rape...??? oooooooooohkay then.

great answer, thanks.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    If you want equality, stop fighting against it.
    Nice.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

Then you're part of the problem. No amount of glossing over the facts and over-simplification is going to make it okay. You've been provided with resources to educate yourself further. At this point, it's up to you to decide you care and check those links out or you don't care and remain ignorant.

Vlogs from biased people that use terms like "mansplain" aren't really educational tools.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options

Then you're part of the problem. No amount of glossing over the facts and over-simplification is going to make it okay. You've been provided with resources to educate yourself further. At this point, it's up to you to decide you care and check those links out or you don't care, and remain ignorant.

i'm part of the problem of why people rape...??? oooooooooohkay then.

great answer, thanks.
    If you're busy glossing over facts, denigrating others' experiences, over-simplifying and redirecting the discussion when unacceptable behaviour is being called out, then yes, you're part of the problem. The reason rape culture exists is because people allow it to exist.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options

Vlogs from biased people that use terms like "mansplain" aren't really educational tools.
    She didn't use the term. I did. For the record, she's done work on behalf of Planned Parenthood. Yes, her videos are educational tools.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options

People that use the word "mansplain" are tools though.
This discussion has been closed.