"All About That Bass" Rant

Options

Replies

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The responses are hilarious, guys. Keep them coming, please. I haven't had this much enjoyment out of the forums since "Why wasn't I invited to my friend's wedding?" :drinker:

edited for a typo

f805e577fd715042bd8b059f43a9532d.jpg
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Blurred Lines was a hit song about date rape.

oh FFS

[Intro: Pharrell]
    Everybody get up
    Everybody get up
    Hey, hey, hey
    Hey, hey, hey
    Hey, hey, hey

[Verse 1: Robin Thicke]
    If you can't hear what I'm trying to say
    If you can't read from the same page
    Maybe I'm going deaf,
    Maybe I'm going blind
    Maybe I'm out of my mind
    [Pharrell:] Everybody get up

[Pre-chorus: Robin Thicke]
    OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
    But you're an animal, baby, it's in your nature
    Just let me liberate you
    Hey, hey, hey
    You don't need no papers
    Hey, hey, hey
    That man is not your maker

[Chorus: Robin Thicke]
    And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    You're a good girl
    Can't let it get past me
    You're far from plastic
    Talk about getting blasted
    I hate these blurred lines
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    But you're a good girl
    The way you grab me
    Must wanna get nasty
    Go ahead, get at me

[Verse 2: Robin Thicke]
    What do they make dreams for
    When you got them jeans on
    What do we need steam for
    You the hottest ***** in this place
    I feel so lucky
    Hey, hey, hey
    You wanna hug me
    Hey, hey, hey
    What rhymes with hug me?
    Hey, hey, hey

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
    But you're an animal, baby it's in your nature
    Just let me liberate you
    Hey, hey, hey
    You don't need no papers
    Hey, hey, hey
    That man is not your maker
    Hey, hey, hey

And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    You're a good girl
    Can't let it get past me
    You're far from plastic
    I know you want it
    I hate them lines
    I know you want it
    I hate them lines
    I know you want it
    But you're a good girl
    The way you grab me
    Must wanna get nasty
    Go ahead, get at me

[Verse 3: T.I.]
    One thing I ask of you
    Let me be the one you back that *kitten* to
    Go, from Malibu, to Paris, boo
    Yeah, I had a *****, but she ain't bad as you
    So hit me up when you pass through
    I'll give you something big enough to tear your *kitten* in two
    Swag on, even when you dress casual
    I mean it's almost unbearable
    In a hundred years not dare, would I
    Pull a Pharside let you pass me by
    Nothing like your last guy, he too square for you
    He don't smack that *kitten* and pull your hair like that
    So I just watch and wait for you to salute
    But you didn't pick
    Not many women can refuse this pimpin'
    I'm a nice guy, but don't get it if you get with me

[Bridge: Robin Thicke]
    Shake the vibe, get down, get up
    Do it like it hurt, like it hurt
    What you don't like work?

Baby can you breathe? I got this from Jamaica
    It always works for me, Dakota to Decatur, uh huh
    No more pretending
    Hey, hey, hey
    Cause now you winning
    Hey, hey, hey
    Here's our beginning

I always wanted a good girl
    (Pharrell: Everybody get up)
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    You're a good girl
    Can't let it get past me
    You're far from plastic
    (Pharrell: Everybody get up)
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    I know you want it
    But you're a good girl
    The way you grab me
    Must wanna get nasty
    Go ahead, get at me

[Outro: Pharrell]
    Everybody get up
    Everybody get up
    Hey, hey, hey
    Hey, hey, hey
    Hey, hey, hey

Please explain to me how this is about date rape?
    The song is called "Blurred Lines". Consent involves an enthusiastic "yes", not a "maybe" or "no." Most rapists are under the impression that their victims "want it". Put it together.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Depends what your anaconda thinks.

I literally spit my drink up on my computer screen after reading that!!! Thank you very much for that:drinker:
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    :drinker: and a towel for ^

All I need to know is, whom can we sue for this tragedy?
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    What I have to say isn't really about the song, but whatever, I'm only saying it because I keep seeing "fat acceptance" pop up in this thread.

Fat acceptance is not about encouraging people to stay fat, and I seriously "LOL" every time I see this accusation. Fat acceptance is simply a movement attempting to change the bias against fat people in social and legal settings. The obese are often treated almost as lesser human beings, and it only fuels a lot of the emotional problems some of them already experience...

People need to be encouraged... Not to stay fat, but to love yourself no matter what your shape/size/weight. That's the point of the fat acceptance movement. That you can be fat, or you can be fat and losing weight, whatever part of your "journey" you're in....and still be beautiful, still be HUMAN. And that you have the right to be treated as such. That is all. It's so simple, but people blow it out of proportion a lot of the time. :)

With that being said, people get the "fat acceptance" thing twisted on both sides of the spectrum.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    at no point in the song is there any reference to any action occurring. it is all about the guy trying to pick a girl up.

in fact he says "So hit me up when you pass through " inviting her to give him a call next time she is in town. yeh, that spells rape to me.

seriously, some people really go out of their way to find the worst in something.

im sure i have said "i know you want it" to a girl when out a club, i guess i must be a rapist.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this right here.....

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/10/lets-talk-about-thin-privilege/

Edit: FYI, at different times in my life, I have been skinny and fat.

Great article! I suppose one could argue that these songs exist to show that big girls are beautiful too, based on the article.

but why does proclaiming one person's beauty need to be linked with proclaiming who doesnt look like that isn't beautiful?
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    Options
    Why are people so afraid of a bigger girl with confidence? It's her life. If she wants to lose the weight she will, if she doesn't she won't. As a parent, it's your job to teach your kids, don't let them be raised by celebrities and television, then it shouldn't matter what celebrities are saying about body image. It's as simple as that really. If that fat girl wants to love her body, why is that your problem??? And, not for nothing, fat people are told that they are ugly and unattractive constantly and nobody makes a big deal out of it, so please don't give me the whole 'if the tables were turned scenario.' The tables are turned every single day in life for people that are fat!
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    at no point in the song is there any reference to any action occurring. it is all about the guy trying to pick a girl up.

in fact he says "So hit me up when you pass through " inviting her to give him a call next time she is in town. yeh, that spells rape to me.

seriously, some people really go out of their way to find the worst in something.

im sure i have said "i know you want it" to a girl when out a club, i guess i must be a rapist.

I may be off here, and reaching, from what I'd read in an article somewhere, and it's after 3am, so I'm not going to go looking for it tonight- the lyrics I've copied/pasted below had people up in arms and were "believed" to be referring to date rape drugs being used on women. (The drugs being what's bolded)

No more pretending
    Hey, hey, hey
    Cause now you winning
    Hey, hey, hey
    Here's our beginning
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options

"I know you want it." is gross. Ask, don't tell. Consent isn't that hard. Stop pretending that it is.

Here's why the song is awful and creepy:

http://www.psmag.com/culture/mouths-rapists-lyrics-robin-thickes-blurred-lines-6656

Oh, and:

http://www.upworthy.com/whoa-4-questions-that-got-120-rapists-to-admit-they-were-rapists-5

Why is that last link relevant? Because no matter how you mansplain it, we're socializing men to be sexually aggressive. Songs like Blurred Lines are a huge part of that socialization. Just because Thicke doesn't actually say the word "rape" in his lyrics doesn't mean that he isn't advocating that men "blur the lines" and ignore consent.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options

I may be off here, and reaching, from what I'd read in an article somewhere, and it's after 3am, so I'm not going to go looking for it tonight- the lyrics I've copied/pasted below had people up in arms and were "believed" to be referring to date rape drugs being used on women. (The drugs being what's bolded)

No more pretending
    Hey, hey, hey
    Cause now you winning
    Hey, hey, hey
    Here's our beginning
    Getting something from Jamaica sounds more like weed than rohypnol
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options

"I know you want it." is gross. Ask, don't tell. Consent isn't that hard. Stop pretending that it is.

Here's why the song is awful and creepy:

http://www.psmag.com/culture/mouths-rapists-lyrics-robin-thickes-blurred-lines-6656

Oh, and:

http://www.upworthy.com/whoa-4-questions-that-got-120-rapists-to-admit-they-were-rapists-5

Why is that last link relevant? Because no matter how you mansplain it, we're socializing men to be sexually aggressive. Songs like Blurred Lines are a huge part of that socialization. Just because Thicke doesn't actually say the word "rape" in his lyrics doesn't mean that he isn't advocating that men "blur the lines" and ignore consent.
    Or he could be saying "I know you want it", because she's being a total whorebag and rubbing all over him whilst up the club.
    Slut-shaming and victim-blaming are basically as scummy as you can get. Good job ignoring the actual experiences of the women in the first link that I shared and instead creating a hypothetical situation to validate his disgusting behaviour, though.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    So is the cringeworthy word "mansplain".
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options
    So is the cringeworthy word "mansplain".
    You have a problem with "mansplain", but not "whorebag"? Yeah, you're a scumbag.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    c2fc5e31_take_a_bow_trans.gif
    And you make me sad for my gender. 1.3 acres of rainforest burst into flames everytime an ankle biting feminist makes up a "clever" new term. I bet you were just beaming inside when you typed that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    "I know you want it." is gross.

my husband says that to me all the time!!! :laugh: i dont find it gross.... :wink:
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    But it officially means he's a womanizing rapist.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options
    c2fc5e31_take_a_bow_trans.gif
    And you make me sad for my gender. 1.3 acres of rainforest burst into flames everytime an ankle biting feminist makes up a "clever" new term. I bet you were just beaming inside when you typed that.
    My gender has nothing to do with anything that I've said and it's none of your business. You make me sad for humanity.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options
    "I know you want it." is gross.

my husband says that to me all the time!!! :laugh: i dont find it gross.... :wink:
    Context. Consent is important.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Meh. I've been a size 22, am now a size 2, and I realize that sometimes a catchy tune is exactly that. /shrugs
This discussion has been closed.