Why simply be normal, when you can be a freak?

Options

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I managed to get myself to 164lbs and about 12% BF by last year (I have since bulked and cut and am now 170lbs at the same bf).
    I have taken up Rugby again at 34, and now play on the wing, and in the off-season have discovered that I am quicker than most of the players there, including some young sprinters.

I did not cut out bread or pasta and I certainly didn't cut out beer. Wheres the fun in getting smashed around a field in winter in Britain if you can't have a few pints afterwards?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    No thanks. For those that choose to cut things you love out of your life, more power to you. As for me, I will keep my beer and my pasta and my bread. I'm not going to gorge myself with these things, but I will enjoy them in moderation, not feel deprived and continue to enjoy life.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options

For those of you who don't want to take the plunge and stay normal, fine. But how many of you I wonder have swam with sharks, went black water rafting, handgliding...ran up Diamond Head in 20 mins...why? Just because you could.

Sure, walking into a room and knowing you are the fittest person there isn't appealing? Ok

Having strangers stop you in the mall to ask health advice seems a bother. I get it.

Having your significant other bushwack you at every chance because you are now the dream person. Ya I know, that isn't appealing either.

You want to walk down the street and not be notice. Then pls go over to the how to lose weight section cuz chances are you don't have the drive to make it stick. Sure you could be in that 10% that hit a goal and maintain. But I think you may be fooling yourself.

I do not want to swim with sharks or go water rafting or hang gliding.
    Not sure why one needs to be the super fittest person to do these things though - people with a moderate level of fitness manage them just fine.

and No I do not want strangers to stop me in the mall and ask for heatlh advice or any other advice and No I dont care if other people in the room are fitter than me and my significant other loves me just as I am (or for that matter as I was before I lost any weight)

I also do not want to give up bread or pasta and I like having a few drinks with my mates so I have no intentions of giveing up the small amount of alcohol that I currently drink.

What I want is to be in the healthy weight range for my height and age and to live a happy healthy normal life.

I acheived my weight goal nearly a year ago and have maintained since then - so I think my plan is working fine, thank you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    but then what would I know? - I'm just a cyber bully Christmas pudding :bigsmile:
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Ruh-roh, he phoned a friend!

This made me LOL
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how many people set a goal to lose 20 lbs say. They make it thru hard work and determination. Then what do they do..they go back to their old wicked ways..and BAM...their right back to where they started. I read more than a few times that 90% of people cant keep weight off for more than a year. I don't know if its true...but my gut says it probably is.

So I have a challenge for you...yes you reading this..for one year, just one year, give me your best. Eat correctly, eat below your maintenance if you are heavy or if too thin, eat more. Train in weights and cardio. I don't care which program..pick one, anyone..and for just one year of your life...do everything right. Yes, I realize you will fail sometimes..we ALL binge or skip a day or two there. But when you do, forgive yourself and try harder the next day. Just don't stop and settle for normal. F normal.

One year...will ya?

I think the aura of what you're saying is awesome - I started with giving it a month - this new lifestyle of mine - and one month rewarded me well - so now I've committed to month two - and my goal is to at the end of twelve months to be able to say I did this -

Good inspiration :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I agree that most people fail at diets, but precisely for the reasons you are suggesting that we all do – they try to give up things they love completely for a long duration and eventually crash. Hell, most New Year’s Resolutions crash and burn after a month or two because people can’t sustain ditching things that they like cold turkey.

It is better to eat what you like, but less. Drink what you like, but less. Occasionally, you can even eat and drink what you like, as much as you like. Creating sustainable lifestyle habits is preferable to engaging in fads and fixes, which ultimately end in failure.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I compete in bodybuilding and powerlifting. Been successful at both as of now and I'm far from done.

I'm still just a normal ordinary woman. I didn't give up anything to reach stage. I found a balance in eating, training and being a mom. The few times I've tried to be a "freak" and go balls to the wall ended in a horrible binge cycle because I am a normal woman with normal needs.

I do think most people can accomplish far more than they think. It isn't necessary. It could be good for them. Either way we all have very different goals and there's no shame in just wanting to lose 20 pounds. I guess keeping it off could earn them the label freak.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I swam with a saltwater crocodile. For this reason, I plan to continue to eat carbs and drink good beer. In fact, after coming nose to nose with that crocodile, the first thing I did when I made it back to shore was have a drink.

But here are my reasons I think your challenge is ridiculous:

1. I like people. I like hanging out with people. People don't want to hang out with the hangry, carb-depleted me that can't eat the birthday cake.
    2. I like my children. My children love to go for chinese buffet on Saturday.
    3. I ran up Diamond Head in 20 minutes. It was the most disappointing thing I have ever done. The next time I'm in Oahu, I plan to walk slowly and take more photos of Waikiki, the mountain range, and Hanouma Bay. 20 minutes up didn't allow me much time to do these things and I totally ruined my trip up.
    4. I go to the beach a lot. One of my favorite things to do there is drink a beer and then run a 5K while humming Running against the Wind in my head. I can't do that if I can't drink.
    5. Food Truck Festivals.

So you see, my normal is a whole lot of fun and I like it more than your freak.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is one of many reasons I ****ing love this woman!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I take your challenge for one year if you take mine.

Mine: Drink in moderation, eat plenty of peanut butter, chocolate, and chicken. Workout like a mad man for only an hour per day 4-5 days a week. Enjoy you lover, kids, friends, and grandchildren, and yes your pet(s).

Btw...there is no "normal" in a person. Only ones that are true to themselves or not.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    So much negativity, it is shameful how people are acting.

Your goals and lifestyle are not the same as mine so you must be bad and you should feel bad! I think every one should take a step back and chill out.

Hey if it makes the op happy chances are it could make others happy too, no need to piss all over them. Hell there is no reason to even say you are not going to take up the challenge, or why you wont. Just don't do it and leave it alone.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am in the best shape of my life. And I did it after back surgery, brain surgery, a cancer diagnosis, and dietary challenges. I refuse to give up my little pleasures. I eat cookies if I want them, and my lactose-free ice cream, and my gluten-free doughnuts. I still look good, I still work out regularly and lift weights. My husband of nearly 25 years still comes after me and I still turn heads. I have gone swimming with a shark.

Everything in moderation, big guy. People fail when they are told to give up things. let people enjoy some things while asking them to work hard and you'll find they'll be more successful in the long term.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    First my sincere apologies for any offense I may have cause anyone for what may be construed as egotistical bravado. That was not my intent but I will be the first to admit it may have been taken that way.

As both a competitive bodybuilder and an USAF officer, I train hard and expect no less than that from others. But this is not the place for such tactics.

I hope you can forgive me and I will make personal appeals to those you I seem to have upset the most.

Sincerely,
    TC
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yeah, still condescending.

I actually find it really amusing and even a little endearing that you find moderation to be "normal" and a point of insult. If anything, moderation is the opposite of the norm. Either overindulging or severely restricting yourself is the norm from what I can see. If eating in moderation/IIFYM makes me "normal", then by all means. Be the first person ever to call me normal.

Interesting...almost all the haters don't have pic of themselves on their profile..or only face shots. Why is that?

That's right, because you are cyber bullies. You can't back up what you preach. I note that I'm quoted as being condescending...but no one has said you don't practice what you preach. Pls...go back to your normal lives.

It's ok really.

Why aren't the really fit people saying something...why...because they know the incedible will power it takes.

I have been called a freak - but not for the reasons you list, and I'm okay with that. :smokin:
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think it is time to give TC a break here, guys. I don't think his post is all that different from all the (oh so many) threads that get started where people have running challenges, lose weight by Christmas challenges, etc. I don't see any ill intent in the original post. Time to cut him some slack and move on I hope.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    First my sincere apologies for any offense I may have cause anyone for what may be construed as egotistical bravado. That was not my intent but I will be the first to admit it may have been taken that way.

As both a competitive bodybuilder and an USAF officer, I train hard and expect no less than that from others. But this is not the place for such tactics.

I hope you can forgive me and I will make personal appeals to those you I seem to have upset the most.

Sincerely,
    TC

No one is all that upset, but when it comes to going balls to the wall and seeking true excellence, your appearance is your thing. It cannot be everyone's, nor can one go balls to wall in all facets of one's life. If you do, you get carried out on a stretcher in your 40s or 50s, and I've seen it happen that way too many times. It's better to pick your areas of focus, find a balance that works, and drive hard without losing your sense of self, family, and beliefs, whatever they may be. I also find that a good dose of humility and perspective are vital both to personal success and to being able to understand others.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Great motivation. One year definitely is short in the big scheme of things
  • SuninVirgo
    Options
    So much negativity, it is shameful how people are acting.

Your goals and lifestyle are not the same as mine so you must be bad and you should feel bad! I think every one should take a step back and chill out.

Hey if it makes the op happy chances are it could make others happy too, no need to piss all over them. Hell there is no reason to even say you are not going to take up the challenge, or why you wont. Just don't do it and leave it alone.
    it is shameful. I've seen this type of mob mentality on this site before and I am shocked!
    OP: what you wrote is doable. And I would love for you to give me personal advice on using weights and the machines at the gym, I need a plan that will help with weight loss and tone. I cut out the booze before pregnancy and haven't started again and I've recently gone low carb. Let's be friends.
  • SuninVirgo
    Options
    Personally I think asking people to give up what they love the most is asking for disaster. Most people just won't do that. They'll start strong, then fail, and decide it's not worth it. Allowing everything you love in moderation results in better and longer adherence. I'd rather be "normal" and enjoy myself than a "freak" who has to eat a supper restrictive diet for a year, or however long you are advocating.
    It's sad to think that humans LOVE beer and pasta and whatever else that much! We have a gross attachment to things. We need to LOVE ourselves and others.