Why simply be normal, when you can be a freak?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I don't see any mob mentality or anything shocking in most responses.

People can disagree with OP's approach and state it is not for them and what they feel is misguided about it. That's not mob mentality, it's just forum discussion
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    this one is going to hurt..no booze. For one year, go dry.

One year...will ya?

I'd rather die...

Seriously, it's terrific what you have achieved. I am sure it took a lot of hard work, dedication and consistency.

However, I have reached the stage in my life where "great bodywork but nothing going on under the hood" isn't what I want to achieve. My health and the way I perform rather than look is far more important. Sharing moments with my family and friends enjoying good food and wine is far more important.

All of those can be accomplished without going to the extent of dietary change which you outline.

Good luck with your goals.
    Seriously? Nothing going on under the hood....Show some decency please.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Personally I think asking people to give up what they love the most is asking for disaster. Most people just won't do that. They'll start strong, then fail, and decide it's not worth it. Allowing everything you love in moderation results in better and longer adherence. I'd rather be "normal" and enjoy myself than a "freak" who has to eat a supper restrictive diet for a year, or however long you are advocating.
    It's sad to think that humans LOVE beer and pasta and whatever else that much! We have a gross attachment to things. We need to LOVE ourselves and others.

Not sure what is sad about people loving beer and pasta and whatever else if they can consume it in moderate healthy amounts.

You can do that and still love yourself and others, not seeing anything mutually exclusive there at all.
  • SuninVirgo
    Options
    No. If you don't have anything nice to say........still applies here.
  • SuninVirgo
    Options
    " asking people to give up what they love the most is asking for disaster" in which I wonder how is beer and pasta things people love the most.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    First my sincere apologies for any offense I may have cause anyone for what may be construed as egotistical bravado. That was not my intent but I will be the first to admit it may have been taken that way.

As both a competitive bodybuilder and an USAF officer, I train hard and expect no less than that from others. But this is not the place for such tactics.

I hope you can forgive me and I will make personal appeals to those you I seem to have upset the most.

Sincerely,
    TC

I don't think there is any need to make personal appeals and I commend you for bring brave and honest enough to apologise.

I think you need to embrace your desire to train hard and if you expect no less from others when you are training them, that's great too.

But you need to realise not everyone has same desire or goals as you and many others are happy with their modest goals and their normal lives.

Or perhaps they train hard in other things that are not fitness related, say, photography or chess championships or dog trials - things that you may enjoy in 'moderation' or not enjoy at all.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    " asking people to give up what they love the most is asking for disaster" in which I wonder how is beer and pasta things people love the most.
    i9gvdX3.gif
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up on bread, but I eat a lot less of it. I am not a big drinker so no problem with alcohol. I really don't think there is a need to eliminate anything that someone loves, it's all about eating or drinking less if it, aka portion control.
  • paperpudding
    Options

Context is important .

People obviously meant things they love the most in terms of food and drink.
    Obviously nobody meant they love beer or pasta more than their husband or their children or world peace :wink:
  • paperpudding
    Options
    No. If you don't have anything nice to say........still applies here.

I agree that replies to this and any thread need to be polite and within forum guidelines.

However that does not mean " only reply if you agree".
  • SuninVirgo
    Options
    OP: I will take the challenge too. Great idea
  • Golden_Grizz
    Golden_Grizz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BRB with actual quote
  • Golden_Grizz
    Golden_Grizz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    an USAF officer, I train hard and expect no less than that from others. But this is not the place for such tactics.

I hope you can forgive me and I will make personal appeals to those you I seem to have upset the most.

Sincerely,
    TC

Being A (not an) USAF officer has nothing to do with your condensation, I am aware of the USAF tenants and acting like a total horse's behind is not one of them.
  • Makhai_
    Makhai_ Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We like where your head is, we're in.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    this one is going to hurt..no booze. For one year, go dry.

One year...will ya?

I'd rather die...

Seriously, it's terrific what you have achieved. I am sure it took a lot of hard work, dedication and consistency.

However, I have reached the stage in my life where "great bodywork but nothing going on under the hood" isn't what I want to achieve. My health and the way I perform rather than look is far more important. Sharing moments with my family and friends enjoying good food and wine is far more important.

All of those can be accomplished without going to the extent of dietary change which you outline.

Good luck with your goals.
    Seriously? Nothing going on under the hood....Show some decency please.

Ummm, yes, seriously.

I was speaking about myself there which I thought seemed pretty clear within the overall context of my post. Perhaps it wasn't. In my 20s I really only cared about aesthetics (hot bodywork) rather than my overall health (including mental health) or performing well in certain sports (what is going on under the hood - as in my engine.) That has changed and I now have a more balanced approach. I know it is rather fashionable to adopt the mantra "Go Hard or Go Home" but that isn't for everyone.

If you care about decency why didn't you show some me common courtesy and ask me to clarify what I meant if it was unclear?

For the avoidance of doubt I was not mocking the OP.

If I wanted to do that I would say it looks like we got into a fight with a bottle of Soul Glo and end up on the losing side...(OP - if you want to have a pop at me be my guest. I have a hide thicker than a rhino's ;)
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    First my sincere apologies for any offense I may have cause anyone for what may be construed as egotistical bravado. That was not my intent but I will be the first to admit it may have been taken that way.

As both a competitive bodybuilder and an USAF officer, I train hard and expect no less than that from others. But this is not the place for such tactics.

Sincerely,
    TC

Thanks for the message...that was weird.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    After losing my weight, I feel "normal" for the first time in many years. I like feeling normal.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The average woman in the UK is 5ft 3in tall, weighs 11 stone (70.2kg) and wears a size 16.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Being A (not an) USAF officer has nothing to do with your condensation, I am aware of the USAF tenants and acting like a total horse's behind is not one of them.

Condescension... not condensation. :smile:
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Condescension... not condensation. :smile:

Perhaps he's a bit damp