Like Minded Lushes - January 2011

Options

Replies

• GingerKid
    Options
    I need to start posting in here. I'm a total lush. If I cut it out completely, I'd be hot in no time! LOL My trainer tells me "90% is nutrition" and boy oh boy, is he right.

So, how do limit yourself? What do you tell yourself, what guidlines do you set in order to limit your booze?

Thx! :)
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone here. Some people just try to limit to "X number a night", some people limit the nights they drink (M-Th=no drinks, for example) and some people are trying to go for a week, a month, or as long as they can without drinking.

For me personally, I'm just trying to have anywhere between 2-4 "sober nights" per week--not any specific night, just a few nights a week where I wake up in the morning and say, "Hey, I'm not going to drink tonight!" My method (and I'm using the term "method" loosely here!) works for me because it's pretty open-ended. If I decide that I want a glass of wine on a previously designated "no drink day" I can have it, I just have to go without some other day that week.

Welcome!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    i was attacked by another bottle of chardonnay last night.:noway: and today I am actually at work.:drinker: a job. :drinker: a real job. :drinker: I will definately have a drink tonight!:laugh:
  • Just_Dot
    Options
    That darn Chard! How's the first day going??
  • mvedas
    mvedas Posts: 69
    Options
    Since I have a total weakness for wine, this group is perfect for me!! It's helpful to hear from all the others out there who struggle with this too!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Decided to have a couple of glasses of wine tonight. I didn't fancy any earlier so wasn't going to drink but as I was cooking my Moroccan style lamb with cous cous I figured that the open bottle of red I had would go very nicely. I've been really good today with my food anyway, have decided to cut down on carbs and increase protein, so i'll see how it goes.

Happy weekend lushes :drinker:
  • Cando055
    Cando055 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I didn't drink Tuesday through Thursday, but intended to drink with dinner last night. I went to the gym after work and had a great workout on the elliptical, which made me less inclined to come home and dive into a bottle as a way to unwind. Then I decided if I was going to drink only a night or two a week, it was going to be special, so my husband and I shared a bottle of champagne. I savored every sip. With the exercise, I was still under my calorie limit for the day, even counting home made pizza and spinach salad for dinner. Best of all, I was awake at 6:30 a.m. and am heading to an 8:00 a.m. spin class.
  • CherylleeH
    Options
    Hey, I think I've found my "peeps". I too am ready to cut out the empty calories that come with my wine, but I'm not ready to cut out my wine. I have definately cut back since I started on MFP and now so happy that I found my fellow lushes. I love my wine! In the past hubby would have a bottle of wine open for me when I'd get home from work at 7:30 PM. Now I tell him don't open it until I get home so I can make the decision as to if I want to have any wine or not (if it was already open I'd have to drink it, right?). :drinker: I've also found if I alternate drinking wine and water it helps me drink less wine. Baby steps, I say.
  • rjadams
    Options
    It felt really good to go to work. It was a typical first day trying to get things set up and not really having a clue as to what I will be doing. I like my group, they seem like really neat people. I got to go walk a couple of airplanes and that was really cool. I celebrated last night with a bottle of red and then had a couple of vodkas. I don't know if I will drink much today.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Monday...Sam Adams (3)
    Tuesday....1 and 3/4 sam adams, 1 bud light (2.75)
    Wednesday...48 oz of sam adams at BWW (4)
    Thursday...5 glasses of wine and 1 skinny margarita (6)
    Friday...1 1/2 bottles of wine (6)...wonderful dinner out with hubs

Total: 21.75

Work at 0700 in the AM tomorrow

I WILL BE GOOD TONIGHT, I hope!!??
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Howdy all! :smile: I too am decreasing the amount of alcohol I consume for weight loss, but I am not willing to give it up entirely!!
  • rjadams
    Options
    vodka is my friend. smiley-eatdrink048.gif
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I just started and appropriately did a great job eating, exercising and logging everything. I was looking awesome until I added my evening festivities. I hate to think of drinking so many calories, but I would hate to think of not being able to enjoy a Guinness or red wine when I want some! Excited to work with everyone here!
  • Irish_Norwegian
    Options
    This thread seems perfect for me! My love of rum and coke has made me gain a lot of weight over the years.. I just joined this site and started the whole weight loss thing (again) 5 days ago. In that time, I've cut WAY back on my booze (and soda) consumption and have already dropped 4 lbs. So we'll see what happens I guess! I, like most of you, don't want to give it up entirely, but I DO want to be thin again!! Good luck to everyone here! :-)
  • Just_Dot
    Options
    Last night I had 3 SF Red Bulls w/pineapple vodka and 2 shots of Tuaca.

Nothing today. I'm fighting the urge to down a glass of wine with my Flexeril though...(I got flattened during soccer today and jacked my back.:frown: )
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    So, yesterday I was ~300 calories over my goal-- pretty much the calorie content of my glass of wine and home-made skinny margarita. Coincidence? No.
  • jschwarz3531
    Options
    What a lushy weekend so far...

Thursday- jersey shore with the BF- split a bottle of wine but still stayed in my calories because i exercised that day :)

Friday- some wine and a few beers, not too bad, but ate a lott of fried tempura sushi and hibatchi rice. yum.

Saturday- the worst of the weekend. tried out a new champagne-only winery on the east end (I live on Long Island- it is IMPOSSIBLE not to enjoy all the amazing wine that comes from the vineyards here!!)...that was during the day then at night went out and had about 5 bud lights.

But all in all I'm doing okay. Irish- have you tried rum and diet? I used to drink vodka cran like crazy and when I switched to vodka seltzer it really did make a difference for me. RJ- your new job sounds pretty cool- my BF is a out-of-work air traffic controller/ pilot....what is it that you do exactly?
  • rjadams
    Options
    What a lushy weekend so far...

. RJ- your new job sounds pretty cool- my BF is a out-of-work air traffic controller/ pilot....what is it that you do exactly?
    I work with interiors engineers on the new bigger 747 airplane that Boeing is developing.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with the empty calories wine adds to the mix.

Who here has their diary public and if so what feedback if any have you had?

I had an unsolicited comment on my wine drinking and as a result have now made my diary private. I don't log what I'm doing to get advice when I didn't ask for it and quite honestly I came away from the whole thing feeling bad. I know what I need to do and and I'm attempting to do it. I don't need anyone judging me in the process. Not helpful!

Just had to vent to the group that I think would totally understand!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    (if it was already open I'd have to drink it, right?). :drinker:
    I think this is true of vodka:happy:
    I just got back from Vegas, about 3-4 lbs heavier but we can blame the eating and the drinking-Bellagio buffet, Fat Burger...
    This week I have decided to start the training for a half-marathon. No plans that require drinking, but am getting together with friends Wednesday so I might, but my .5 marathon plan calls for some exercise everyday, so I am going to focus on that and not so much on my diet right now. The brain only has so much discipline:wink: