Why do women wear tank tops to the gym more than men?

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    My husband calls his arm bands his power bands, lol!! I crack up all the time, he will not go to the gym without them!:bigsmile:

I love wrist bands. I forgot all about them until you brought them up. I need to get some. They just look cool!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I like tank tops, and when I'm rocking the guns, I wear them. I will not wear a jog bra only or anything teeny tiny becasue, well, it's just attention seeking, no matter how much we want to deny it.

So ... even though people in this thread said wearing a tank top is attention-seeking, it isn't. But you have declared wearing only a sports bra attention-seeking so it must be?

I don't wear only a sports bra simply because I am not in the kind of shape where I'm comfortable doing so. But I boil when I work out. The fewer clothes, the better. There have been times when I've gone running outside and ended up in just my sports bra because I was HOT. Maybe you just don't get very hot when you exercise.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I wear tank tops when it's hot out because I'm freaking hot.

Also I have a sleeve in progress and a tattoo that covers the cap of my shoulder. I like showing it. Hence, tank tops.

I'm starting to wear tighter shorts and pants just because it keeps the frabric from snagging and bunching. I really couldn't care less what someone thinks I look like, I'm just trying to be comfy and safe for the most part, and show off the ink I spent a lot of time sitting for. Attention seeking? Not really. I mean yeah the ink part but. I have the right to dress how I want to dress as does anyone regardless of what they look like.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Tight workout shorts or pants allow less opportunity for accidentally showing off body parts one would prefer covered in public. Same for tight shirts. When you bend and move, they stay on your body right where you want them. Loose sleeves and clothing can provide an unintentional peep show.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I couldn't help but notice that at all gyms I've been to the women are more likely to be found with sleeveless shirts showing their arms and shoulders than men are. Typically you would think that arms are something that men are more likely to show off rather than women. Are women really that proud of showing off their arms?
    Then another idea came to me as I was trying to get an armpit stain out of some of my workout shirts. Maybe they just don't want to deal with pit stains in their clothes and it has nothing to do with showing off their arm muscles.
    They wear tank tops because

*gasp*

they can wear whatever the eff they want
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    :love: I know this hot guy that wears a tank on his walk to the gym, then when he gets there he puts on a long sleeve shirt :smooched:
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    :love: I know this hot guy that wears a tank on his walk to the gym, then when he gets there he puts on a long sleeve shirt :smooched:

lol creep much?
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Tank tops because that's generally what's available at the store and on sale. I like bottoms with some stretch to them, but not shorts. Yoga pants are helpful in that regard.
  • ddrmaster07
    ddrmaster07 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wear old school sweats and t shirts...I don't know why but I manage to look like a bum when I go to the gym. I get ready for work at the gym so I leave looking like a bomb shell .:love: People can come in wearing tank tops....tight pants showing thongs all they want I go to a NO JUDGEMENT ZONE type of thing, (Although they judge bodybuilders all the time) so almost anything is allowed....I saw a video of a guy eating pizza while on the weights. :laugh:
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I like tank tops, and when I'm rocking the guns, I wear them. I will not wear a jog bra only or anything teeny tiny becasue, well, it's just attention seeking, no matter how much we want to deny it.

So ... even though people in this thread said wearing a tank top is attention-seeking, it isn't. But you have declared wearing only a sports bra attention-seeking so it must be?

I don't wear only a sports bra simply because I am not in the kind of shape where I'm comfortable doing so. But I boil when I work out. The fewer clothes, the better. There have been times when I've gone running outside and ended up in just my sports bra because I was HOT. Maybe you just don't get very hot when you exercise.

I get plenty hot. I see what you're doing there. But I stand by my post. I'll admit to attention seeking if I do it; I'm not ashamed of it.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I wear tank tops when it's hot out because I'm freaking hot.

Also I have a sleeve in progress and a tattoo that covers the cap of my shoulder. I like showing it. Hence, tank tops.

I'm starting to wear tighter shorts and pants just because it keeps the frabric from snagging and bunching. I really couldn't care less what someone thinks I look like, I'm just trying to be comfy and safe for the most part, and show off the ink I spent a lot of time sitting for. Attention seeking? Not really. I mean yeah the ink part but. I have the right to dress how I want to dress as does anyone regardless of what they look like.

I'm all for showing of tattoos if it happens. Rock that ish!
  • penkwin
    penkwin Posts: 25 Member
    Options

*gasp*

This!

I wear a mix a tank tops and free tshirts from my work (we get a lot of free tees for some reason). I'm gravitating towards the tanks more though because they are a) more comfortable and b) made for working out, so the fabric wicks sweat away better. I don't like to have a lot of fabric constricting me, especially around my neck, so I cut the collars out of all my crew neck tees. I don't wear tank tops to "show off" or "get attention." I'm pretty much only thinking of myself and what I need to get done in the gym... It's not a fashion show!
  • ValGogo
    Options

I love that kind of humility.
  • ValGogo
    Options

*gasp*

This!

I wear a mix a tank tops and free tshirts from my work (we get a lot of free tees for some reason). I'm gravitating towards the tanks more though because they are a) more comfortable and b) made for working out, so the fabric wicks sweat away better. I don't like to have a lot of fabric constricting me, especially around my neck, so I cut the collars out of all my crew neck tees. I don't wear tank tops to "show off" or "get attention." I'm pretty much only thinking of myself and what I need to get done in the gym... It's not a fashion show!

But let's admit, for some it is a fashion show. Obviously no one on this thread, but it happens.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options

lol creep much?

What's yer point. :huh:
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options

*gasp*

This!

But let's admit, for some it is a fashion show. Obviously no one on this thread, but it happens.

Even if it's for a "fashion show", I'm at the gym to work out, not take note on why someone I don't know decided to wear a tank top...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

*gasp*

This!

and I'm with you on a big fat who cares if it is.

I freely admit I don't want to look bad- so yeah- I don't wear mismatched clothing- and yeah- i still have my face on... tough titties to the rest of the world. I still work hard.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't like sweaty clothes. That's why I wear tanks to the gym.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    They look good on them, they're comfortable, and they're in style. I think they're not in style for men right now is why they don't, but I wouldn't know because I never noticed or thought about it until now. Lol. I wear both but tend to wear a tank top because it suits me and also doesn't slip off if I get upside down.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    tanks tops are great. bras alone, not so much. That's all I said. Ciao!