WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to Free Smileys

http://www.freesmileys.org/

When you find a smiley that you like, you copy and paste the Forum code to your post and the smiley shows up like this:

smiley-chores024.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Kim from N CA: Please share the bookmark! Regarding books, I like my books to be happy. I read one John Grisham book, and it was the first time and last one for me. If I want gritty, unpleasant reading, I look at the newspaper crime page or politics. :mad:

Nannyjackie: I weigh in the morning after going to the loo, and wearing a smile or frown, depending on the numbers. I really don’t care about my weight at the doctor’s office because I see her so seldom. I’m lucky that I’m in pretty good health and see her about once a year. :flowerforyou:

Kat in Maryland: Welcome. We frequently see miracles around here, but they’re not speedy. Stick around and you may see a miracle or two, too. :flowerforyou:

Beth: Prednisone is a medicine with unpleasant side effects. Weight gain is one of them, and it is a puffy sort of gain that looks unhealthy to me. My mom had to take it because she had a condition called temporal arteritis. (I know I’ve spelled this wrong, but can’t seem to fix it.) The prednisone made her feel awful but it stopped the problem she was having with her vision from getting worse. :frown: I hope you find a way to enjoy cooking. It can be a satisfying activity. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I love sunlight and its magic effect on mood. I also love where I live, and it is getting darker outside every day. And this is why I have daylight temperature light bulbs everywhere and take lots of vitamin D3. :sunglasses:

Barbie: I :heart: the free smilies.

Have a great day or evening.

emoticon-looney-toons-001.gif

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone; fell off the wagon and hit the ground hard last night. :s Going to drink lots of water today and try planning my day ahead of time (don't like doing that, but it may be necessary today).
    Working hard on getting the last room as empty as possible for painting next week. Seems like an insurmountable task.
    Also doing some genealogy work; trying to break through a "brick wall" I have had no luck with so far.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,350 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good sunny morning friends! :flowerforyou:

The painter came round early while we were in the middle of gymming so it was a very sweaty, half dressed consultation! ! ! ! ! :blushing: He didn't seem to mind at all :laugh:
    Cynthia - I had a panic moment last night about the redec of our bedroom. Couldn't imagine what to do with the furniture, can't face all the sorting and throwing away, and I decided the tasteful boudoir colours we had decided on didn't go with our messy lifestyle. Our bedroom is also a bookstore, a tv room and our strength training room. :sad: :sad: Wanted to abandon the whole thing, but the painter was very calm and talked me down. No pressure to decide anything, but he gave us a quote. It was just nice to hear his opinions. DH also made some good suggestions. I will back off and let my brain dwell on it quietly and then I will probably have a"ding" moment. That sort of decision making has always worked best for me. We are going to have a look at another paint and wallpaper place nearby. So, Cynthia, I understand your pain. I HATE breaking eggs to make the omelette and I find it so difficult to choose because I want it to be perfect and it can't be without changing everything which DH would never do. I hate the pine firniture, but I know it's staying. I could paint it, but I have better things to do with my time. :laugh:
    - Wish I could wave a magic wand! ! ! And it would look like the magazines I read. :laugh:
    - DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD,!
    - How I need that now!

Love to all. Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • jdpniagara2
    jdpniagara2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there a newbie to MFP here, hope i am posting in the correct place. My name is Jamie, and i have quite a bit to lose.
    This board looks great, hope to join in daily.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    had a cup of tea, and slept another 10 1/2 hrs last night.. dont know why,but feel I need it.. we are supposed to have wicked weather today,I have a few errands to run and get my hair cut.. Hubby wants taco's tonight. I have my stuff that I didnt eat last night that I will eat tonight..
    will check in later to see how things are going..
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hello......The storms yesterday afternoon turned out to be drizzle which made for a uncomfortable cross country meet but not a cancellation. Timing duties of the meet went well. DD joined me there when she got finished her lifeguarding shift at the pool and volunteered also, running into her old h.s. coach and many others she knew from her own h.s. days. I think she enjoyed it.

We went directly to the fundraiser for the therapy horses........ended up sharing a portion of lasagna with DD. Then home, a little t.v. and a very early (for me) bedtime.....slept almost 8 hours!!!! .........despite DH waking me up to ask why I was in bed so early and telling me I'd be up at 3am.........HA!!! fooled him. Honestly, men!!!!

I'm a mystery reader too but haven't been doing one tenth of what I used to. Still plodding through the one set in India.

Heather and Cynthia.......I am almost paralyzed with an inability to even start to make definative decisions when it comes to redecorating..............kudos to both of you!

The tree cutter gave an estimate yesterday; very impressed with him--huge guy, very much looked the part, personable, couldn't have been nicer. Will get a couple more estimates yet, but, honestly, already leaning toward him based on his quick response and others lack of.........and, it's not that he needs the business, can't actually come and do the work until mid-Nov.

Lunch with a race director today to talk about her coming 5K race. WAY too much eating out lately. Made beef, mushroom, barley soup yesterday with a bit of leftover chuck roast; guess I'll have some now and call it breakfast.

Have great days, ladies!
    Best to all.
    yanniejannie

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Another Flu Shot Clinic today, which means I don't get a lunch break, which means I don't get to work-out on my lunch. So, just the squats that come with up and down from my chair all day! I hope I can keep my food under control tonight at home.

In-laws are visiting this weekend, to watch the nephews in a bowling tournament (both Varsity at different Universities). I hope I have the strength to avoid the bowling alley fried foods, and time to plan what I will eat when they choose a restaurant.

Terri in Milwaukee
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good Morning Friends,

:drinker:

smiley-gen014.gif
    for all your hard effort in losing and maintaining your weight. In some cases gaining the weight you need to be healthy.

welcome.gif[/url] Newcomers :flowerforyou:

Barbie thank you for giving us the smiles website.smiley-char023.gif

Alison sounds like you needed that good sleep. :yawn:

Heather I like to be calm when I try to make decisions too.smiley-angelic008.gif

:love: The fall colors right now. We are going to have a spectacular day today. Tomorrow cooler temperatures are coming.

Today reading about grapes and raisins in Eating on the Wildside. I am still maintaining. What I notice after following some of her suggestions is I feel better. I look at going to the grocery store as a treasure hunt where I try to find the most nutritious food. She gives good suggestions on how to find, prepare, and store your finds once you bring them home. smiley-eatdrink029.gif

2014 word:contentment

smiley-chores023.gifMNMargaret

28257843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Trying out a smiley .
    Welcome to the new people. Keep posting! <3

emoticon-object-081.gif emoticon-object-081.gif emoticon-object-081.gif

Heather UK
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Started cleaning out my office yesterday. I am repacking about 6 bins of my DD's stuff to move them out of the office into a better storage space. Next will be my closet and drawers. Hopefully I will be able to make some progress without getting interrupted by a "better offer"! It is so easy for me to ditch the work and go have fun! I am really felling overwhelmed by all of the clutter so need to get busy!

Hope everyone has a great day. Still researching ideas to squash evening snacking.

Deb A in CNY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Heather: I need to repaint and can’t face the decision process or the work. :noway: Perhaps you’ll become my inspiration. :flowerforyou:

Jamie: Welcome to a great group of women. Tell us where you’re from. We have women here from all over the world. Stop by often. :flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I love leftover soup! :love:

Terri: Good luck with maintaining your healthy ways while you have guests and bowling alley temptations to contend with. I bet you’ll do just fine with the food. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: You’re having fun with all the smiles and I like them, too. I especially love the angel and devil on the teeter-totter. :love:

My DD and DGC are coming!!! I may have mentioned that, and will likely mention it again frequently. I’m trying to think up fun things to do while they’re here. Suggestions are welcome. :heart: DGD went to a pumpkin patch with her other grandmother in Chicago, so I’m not sure if another visit is the best use of time. :grumble: I’ll ask DD about it. Some choices will depend on weather. I know that DD misses the ocean and wants to see it. The beach is not as much fun in the rain, unless we’re able to fill our time there with wave-watching and other good things. I’m thinking the Oregon Coast Aquarium might be great. The down side is that it is a LONG drive in a car with three adults, a dog, and two kids in carseats. :tongue: Yikes. It is a good problem and fun challenge. Right? :wink: :grumble: :drinker:

Yoga today and horseback riding tomorrow! Life is good even though it is getting dark and rainy. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Katla........How about storytime at your local library, a kids program/activity at local historical houses/craft stores,etc. or childrens programs at city/state parks?

yanniejannie

• bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hello awesome ladies, it's been a while since I posted, I have been reading all your posts. My
    daughter and grandson are coming home for thanksgiving. Her husband can't get off work with
    it being a new job in Colorado. I'm really struggling with my emotions. I need a firm talking to from
    this group. I need to get back into a routine.

Haven't been doing well since being sick, having surgery, dealing with daughter and grandson moving from Md to Colorado and losing my brother
    in Dec and son in law in August. And watching my daughter Amber trying to put her life back together. Her 1 yr anniversary is coming up on Oct 26th. She has a friend who just broke up
    with her boyfriend of 8 yrs. They are going away for that wkend. While Amber is gone , we are going to go pack up her husband's things and put in storage for when she is able to decide what she wants to do. She is moving in with a friend for a few months.. in the meantime she is looking for
    a Christian roommate. She works in a very high cost of living area and can't afford a place by herself.

My 35 yr anniversary is Oct 27th. I think we might go to dinner and a movie.

Brenda from Md

I really miss the wght loss ticker.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well, came down with a mild flu which feels like it may turn into a head cold, too. I can only eat saltines and graham crackers. On the bright side, my schedule is cleared and I'm enjoying some movies on TV.

Renny - My cholesterol went up like that once, too, but then the next test showed a 50 point drop, so it may just be a fluke! I was lowering my cholesterol using food choices - see my note below about statins.

Sylvia - funny milk man joke. Thanks for making me laugh.

Robin - Great job de-cluttering! I like the Fly Lady website for inspiration

GodMomKim - I like Grisham, too. Thanks for the tip on Sycamore Row.

Nannyjackie - I always weight first think in the morning. It's usually not the same weight as the doctors office, but I consider it my own little secret.

Heather in UK - thanks for the tip on the reheated carbs. Research comes up with some interesting ideas.

Megblair1 and others - regarding statins. No way is anyone putting a statin pump in my system! When I first started taking those things, my good cholesterol was over 60, so it was actually helping me. After taking them, it was down to 40. So my profile, though lower in LDL, was actually worse than my original profile. Plus, there IS NO SCIENTIFIC PROOF that taking statins decreases your risk for a heart attack; it is simply the accepted protocol, not an actual cure. I mentioned that to my doctor and she shrugged and said "it's what we do." I dumped those things years ago and my good cholesterol has never rebounded to its original amount. Now, I believe if I ever have a heart attack, it is because I DID take statins.

Mary in south Florida
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Katla - I love groupon or livingsocial for finding fun & different ideas for my area, or wherever I am about to visit/vacation. I have found pottery painting, trampoline parks, apple picking, make-your-own sundae shops, museums, sporting events, etc.

I hope everyone is having a happy day!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I haven't decided which project to tackle yet today. the Office/junk room will take several days to conquer. so I may go with my junk closet which should only take a few hours.

I am now down a total of 7 pounds since I reached my highest weight ever. I am starting to get motivated again to get back where I was when I reached a good weight in 2010. I did it then and I know I can do it again. but in the meantime I am focusing more on my mental state of well being.

Meg - Thanks for asking about the Bodi boy. He is okay. still hobbling around and have incontinence problems but he seems to be happy most of the time. He gets frustrated that he can't run and play like he used to.

Mary - I will have to check out the Fly Lady website.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. They are really helping me work thru this depression. I am starting to feel more like me every day.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    Rainy and dreary PNW
  • Kataniki
    Kataniki Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Ladies~

Taking a minute on my lunch break to read and catch up a little here. Overindulged last night and felt bad today about doing so. Sad that I am not taking better care of myself despite my best intentions. Did manage to get a healthy lunch together but also have some Pop Chips to keep from feeling deprived.

I thought I would feel better rested after my weekend away but am very tired and not sleeping well. My 22 year old was supposed to move out yesterday - he's been home since he graduated college in May - but there was a strong storm including a tornado warning and pouring rain so he is moving today instead. I have mixed feelings about him leaving - it has been nice to have him home for a few months and I will miss him but he isn't going far and needs to go forward.

Not sure why, but feeling really blah today. Supposed to play soccer tonight but not sure I am up for it. I need the exercise but am worried about getting hurt if I am too tired to play well. I did walk for 30 minutes before eating lunch.

Love the jokes and hearing about your days and how you manage to stay on the healthy path.

Kat
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Robin - you are doing so well! One step at a time. I have soooooo many drawers and cupboards to sort. I looked at Flylady and I will use it for motivation - it always helps so much to know we are not alone! ! ! ! :tongue:
    - And a BIG thank you to those of you who also find redecoration mind tangling. :ohwell: I have been on line to get help. There are loads of sites and videos so I think my mind is clearing. The problem always for me is, I can have a perfect picture in my mind, but I am stuck with at least some of the junk I have. It will never be perfect, especially as I live with a lovely man who is not remotely interested in the detail. I will NOT let my perfectionism get in the way of my happiness! :bigsmile:
    - l love all you fellow sufferers, Katla, Cynthia, Yanniejannie etc. :love:

Had a good day getting rid of some of my admin - mainly computer printouts and photo copying. I still have to get up to date with my rental admin. Will do that Saturday. Of course, when I actually get round to the task it takes no time at all. :ohwell:. Have the joy of taxes to do before the end of the month. It looms in my mind and takes about two hours. :laugh:

Curry tonight - beef mince, potatoes and cabbage with tomatoes. Yum. :bigsmile;:
    I have also made a new recipe - spicy leek, walnut and tomato soup, which I am not sure about. Will see when it's blitzed. It's from this Saturday's Guardian newspaper.

Love to all. I will be up early tomorrow for DH'S birthday, so we can get presents opened and exercise done before we get on the train to London to see the grandchildren. :love:

Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! It is my second day with no boot and I actually walked for 10 minutes straight this morning. It was a slow walk, but it felt really good to have some sustained movement time.

Sylvia - I'm not Beth, but I will put in my two cents worth. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Squats should not be particularly hard on your knees if they are done properly. Don't ever let your knees go over your toes. You kinda have to stick your backside out towards the wall behind you and lean your torso forward. Jillian Michaels' 30-day-shred video uses squat position for several things. If you do it right, you'll feel it in your quads, not your knees. My knees are bad but, unless they are flaring with meniscus issues, squats don't hurt them. Let me elucidate - I don't do quickly repeated squats; I do sustained squats.

My daughter is still having issues. The more she talks about it the more clearly I can understand her symptoms. Last night, she was telling me that her depth perception is off, like when you get new glasses and it takes time to get used to them. That made me think that the issue might be ocular, so she has a call in to my ophthalmologist's office to see if they can work her in. It's scary to think something may be putting pressure on the back of her eye. :worried:

My program went well Tuesday night. Thanks for all of your support! Tonight begins a 4-week (?) study on The Art of Reading the Bible. I'm not incredibly interested in the topic, but my pastor is an extraordinarily engaging teacher so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. It will take some planning to be sure that I have quick food ready for dinner on Thursdays.

I've pretty much given up on the Nutrition class from Coursera. It doesn't hold my interest and I didn't find the first few weeks to be enlightening, so I think I'm just going to listen to some of the topics that do interest me and not try to officially finish the course. I did sign up for another course from UNC-Chapel Hill called "The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art!" I'm looking forward to listening to those lectures as well as the Fiction in Relationship lectures while I crochet. Now if I could only find the time to actually sit and crochet...I gotta cut something out of my busy social life. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I have no social life!

Oh, has anyone ever read Virginia Woolfe's stories/books? I'm reading one for the Fiction in Relationship class and it makes MY head spin and hurt trying to make sense of it. I've never seen so many run-on sentences!

I guess I'd better get some more work done. :neutral_face: I spent over an hour this morning proofreading a booklet that will be handed out in a few weeks. It was fun (I truly think I would be good at and love a job of proofreading Kindle boos!) and my co-worker was very appreciative, but it made my eyes tired.

Have a great day!

Carol in can't-make-up-it's-mind-whether-it-is-sunny-or-cloudy NC