Pacific Northwest peeps look here!

Options

Replies

• JPRobocker
    JPRobocker Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My mom's from the Tri-Cities. I spent one summer there with my grandparents in high school and took up jogging at 5 am or so...before it got hot lol.

Yea, tell me about it. haha. I moved here last summer. I'd have to wait for the sun to set before I could go out jogging because it was just too hot for me. I don't know how people jog in 100 degree weather.
  • TamRob73
    TamRob73 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am from Oregon. Feel free to add me as a friend. I think the weather for all of us can be a challenge on the exercise area!! I just got a wii fit, so I plan to use it this winter!!! :)
  • the1mattsmith
    the1mattsmith Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey all, another NWer here, Everett, WA to be exact. I am looking for a few friends to help me with dropping some weight and getting into shape, and maybe some cool people to go out and enjoy this great area with, as soon as the never ending crappy spring is over. Cheers, guys!
  • peytons_mommy82
    peytons_mommy82 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! So excited to see this group! I live in Bellingham and cannot wait for this weather to pick up. I'm new to MFP so friend me if you want. I have slowly been loosing weight after I had my daughter (2 1/2 years ago..) and needed something to push me!
  • journey2lh
    journey2lh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm in Kenmore, WA and this coming Summer I will be hiking every Friday starting June 10th with very few skipped. Anyone want to join me? :) I already have some friends commiting to some dates but would love to put this out there for anyone interested!
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Little ole Yakima, WA is going through a Zumba craze we can do it inside or outside but the last two days have been sunny and 70 degrees LOVE IT!!!!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    How about this weather we've been having here lately?? GORGEOUS!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    yep, i finally remember why i like it here! :) i heard it'll hit 70 tomorrow. may bike to work again.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Just found this this little thread :o) I'm Starla- from Kirkland. Nice to see so many from the area together in one thread! I've been on MFP for about two months and LOVE IT! Slightly addicted actually. I must log on like 10-15 times a day while at my desk at work. haha. My loss journey's been SLOWWWWW but steady. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change dang it! I hate when folks i know ask how my "diet" is going. Anyways, I got 40 pound overweight from too many years since high school being lazy and eating bad! I'm ready to get healthy and fit before I get to my 30's (i'm 27). In march I started out exercising every other day, sticking to the MFP food settings for the most part and now I exercise 5 days a week about 45 mins a day and net around 1200-1400 cals depending on the day. Working slowly but surely!! MFP has helped A TOOONNNN! So much support.

Oh, and of course as a PNW-erner I can't help but mention the weather. It's freakin gorgeous!!! Too bad I'm at work during the day and missing most of it (work at UWMC so I don't even have windows to enjoy looking out at it! :o( ) but let's all cross our fingers that it'll hold out to the weekend!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm totally riding in to work tomorrow :glasses:

I want to just ride in every day from now on ... SUNNNNNN DON'T GO AWAY!
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    I'm totally riding in to work tomorrow :glasses:

I want to just ride in every day from now on ... SUNNNNNN DON'T GO AWAY!

It's actually bike to work day tomorrow. I wonder if there will be lots of traffic. I wish I could bike in every day, but at 22 miles each way, it's a bit much for me.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Anyone live in the Kelso/Longview area? My husband just applied for a job up there. Whats it like?
  • ncwmark
    ncwmark Posts: 40
    Options
    Wow, quite a group of PNWers here!

I live in Wenatchee and am loving the weather we've been having.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm from the Beaverton area here in Oregon... It's definitely been challenging to try to get the motivation to start jogging outside again with this weather!!! After the freezing cold left, it's just been rain rain rain rain rain oh and rain!! It has been a wet year because even the summer was pretty rainy (summer was here for like 2 weeks it seemed)... but I guess that's why I have a gym membership!!! Just with all this gloomy weather has gotten me in a gloomy mood, that and the job market for new nurses sucks so that doesn't help either!! All this rain has been wanting me to move to a more summery area, but I'm afraid I'd miss all the green that is Oregon and the PNW!

We are neighbors ... I live on the border of Beaverton/Aloha :)
  • halobender
    Options
    It's actually bike to work day tomorrow. I wonder if there will be lots of traffic. I wish I could bike in every day, but at 22 miles each way, it's a bit much for me.
    Oh, indeed it is. In the middle of Ride Your Bike To Work Month, as well. Crappy month for PNWers to try to ride to work :p haha. Well, at least the specific day will be nice enough. My city is giving out free coffee and bagels to cyclists in the city square. I'll probably get chastised for not wearing a helmet, though :grumble:

Thankfully my ride is only 7.5 miles or so. Excellent.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Oh, indeed it is. In the middle of Ride Your Bike To Work Month, as well. Crappy month for PNWers to try to ride to work :p haha. Well, at least the specific day will be nice enough. My city is giving out free coffee and bagels to cyclists in the city square. I'll probably get chastised for not wearing a helmet, though :grumble:

Thankfully my ride is only 7.5 miles or so. Excellent.

Woot! How was your ride? Awesome day in and around Seattle today. This was my second time ever doing this. I may do it again next week if we have another nice day. I passed 4 or 5 "commuter stations" on the way, where I loaded up on mini clif bars. It would be cool if they had that every day.
  • outersoul
    Options
    Just found this this little thread :o) I'm Starla- from Kirkland. Nice to see so many from the area together in one thread! I've been on MFP for about two months and LOVE IT! Slightly addicted actually. I must log on like 10-15 times a day while at my desk at work. haha. My loss journey's been SLOWWWWW but steady. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change dang it! I hate when folks i know ask how my "diet" is going. Anyways, I got 40 pound overweight from too many years since high school being lazy and eating bad! I'm ready to get healthy and fit before I get to my 30's (i'm 27). In march I started out exercising every other day, sticking to the MFP food settings for the most part and now I exercise 5 days a week about 45 mins a day and net around 1200-1400 cals depending on the day. Working slowly but surely!! MFP has helped A TOOONNNN! So much support.

Oh, and of course as a PNW-erner I can't help but mention the weather. It's freakin gorgeous!!! Too bad I'm at work during the day and missing most of it (work at UWMC so I don't even have windows to enjoy looking out at it! :o( ) but let's all cross our fingers that it'll hold out to the weekend!

You don't by chance work on/with Epic do you? I almost took a job there.
  • outersoul
    Options
    Anyone live in the Kelso/Longview area? My husband just applied for a job up there. Whats it like?

There's a few people on here from that area so hopefully they'll chime in. I've only ever passed through there on the way to Portland.
  • wanitalilly
    wanitalilly Posts: 108
    Options
    Spring in the NW makes me feel bipolar... The weather man should just say "Cloudy with a chance of sun breaks" *now taking donations for a trip to hawaii* :smokin:
  • halobender
    Options
    Woot! How was your ride? Awesome day in and around Seattle today. This was my second time ever doing this. I may do it again next week if we have another nice day. I passed 4 or 5 "commuter stations" on the way, where I loaded up on mini clif bars. It would be cool if they had that every day.
    First day I've had time to reply to this since then ..!

Anyway, the ride was great. Really, really warm, nice, sunny, beautiful, lots of greenery. Very scenic, until you get to the west side. It was really quite an excellent day in general :)

However! I live in the "most bike commuter friendly" city in the world or whatever they tout, yet I didn't see even ONE commuter station. I know that they had something set up in the town square, as I mentioned above, but it didn't really make sense for me to bike to a really unsafe area to have cyclists congregating just for a bagel. I feel that it was an unsafe area because there are a lot of motorists over there, trains and buses. What are they thinking? :grumble: (<---- favoritist smiley ever)

It's not like they could have just cordoned off the area or anything, as there are tracks laid right there. And as a cyclist, if you hit those tracks with your front tire, you're going down =/