P90X - Don't Do It

Options

Replies

• mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I use to feel the SAME way. I finally said EFF IT and did P90X. Yup I quit 1/2 way through...but everytime I started back up I got a little further and a little further. Now I have dropped weight and over 6" in just 2.5 months. P90X works! I use to do all of JM dvds and I beleive I have EVERYONE of them. Shes a good quick workout for sure--no doubt, but P90X leaves you feeling accomplished =)
    3 words: GO JILLIAN MICHAELS! haha.
    I find her workouts, quick & to the point. Easy to fit into my day, and not so extremely absurd fitness wise that i cant manage it.
    I've never done p90x or even attempted, i just KNOW it's not for me.
    I'll stick with JM :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    . But as a package, I recommend that beginner to intermediate fitness goers pursue less intense, simpler exercise programs to which they will be more likely to adhere over the long term.

I think you're right in that many ppl, some still quite overweight or brand new to this site, think this is the magic bullet to losing that weight. When they don't lose weight on it they feel defeated and beat themselves up and quit and sometimes quit the site entirely. From what I understand it's not particularly for losing weight but getting toned, even BB coaches share this numerous times on here. (I think those that lose weight while on it see that as a bonus, it's the inches that appear to drop far more than lbs. when starting out on the program from what I've seen shared)

It's brought up so very often on here everyone thinks they better do it because it's the 'thing' to be doing. I think you made some helpful points, it's NOT for everyone from the getgo! Some love it but some share they've purchased it and it's never been opened or simply sits on a shelf. So much we can do without cost in regards to working out. For some it might be exactly what one needs, for many others (not knocking the product itself here) it's simply too advanced and can make a person feel terribly defeated thinking they've done something wrong when it's simply not a match for them at this point.
  • IndyFit52
    Options
    Heather, Brad, and Barbosa

Good points, and I'm glad it has worked for you.

I have to stand by my original post however. Speaking in generalities and from what I suppose of the audience (which is dangerous because we know what to think of '*kitten*'umptions) P90X would not be a good fit for most myfitnesspal users.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I LOVE P90X!!!!! It started my husband & I on a fitness & health journey together that we are still on today. The nutrition plan actually was the start of us totally rethinking the way we eat. I have never been overweight, but I am now the strongest I have ever been & I eat cleaner than I ever thought possible. We did P90X while working full-time & both having to travel every week for work. If we can do it, any dedicated, motivated person (in good enough shape) who truly WANTS to do it can do it. But true, if you're someone who's making excuses to why you can't do it before you even buy it, then no it's probably not for you (& by 'you' I don't mean anyone who has posted here, I just mean 'you' in general terms).
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TURBO FIRE AND WILL BE DOING THE CHALEAN EXTREME!!!
  • Alisia_lynn
    Options
    I've never used p90x but i did use p90 its sorta the lower version, its always worked for me and its only 30 minutes so I've been able to do it everyday and i love it yes its aggressive but I've never dreaded doing it. My two brothers do p90x they seem to finish tho it is really tough but they love it since they know that for them it does really work. Honestly I love it, and the results I get from it.
  • IndyFit52
    Options
    Turbo Fire
    do you recommend them?

I would rate Turbo Fire as a Tier II workout for most people on myfitnesspal

Again, I'm considering my audience. If I were to post reviews on other forums (e.g. livestrong.com) I would take a different approach.

Myfitnesspal caters especially to novice - intermediate level fitness goers who are mostly looking to lose weight.

With that in mind, you should wait on TurboFire until you've progressed in a more moderate exercise regimen for about 8-12 weeks.
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    3 words: GO JILLIAN MICHAELS! haha.
    I find her workouts, quick & to the point. Easy to fit into my day, and not so extremely absurd fitness wise that i cant manage it.
    I've never done p90x or even attempted, i just KNOW it's not for me.
    I'll stick with JM :)

Yeah I cannot stand Jillian Michaels either....I'd rather do Tae Bo or something else.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire
    do you recommend them?

I would rate Turbo Fire as a Tier II workout for most people on myfitnesspal

Again, I'm considering my audience. If I were to post reviews on other forums (e.g. livestrong.com) I would take a different approach.

Myfitnesspal caters especially to novice - intermediate level fitness goers who are mostly looking to lose weight.

With that in mind, you should wait on TurboFire until you've progressed in a more moderate exercise regimen for about 8-12 weeks.
    IndyFit, since you're discussing Turbo Fire I assume you've done it? I'm currently using Turbo Fire & I keep wondering if any guys have done it. I'm wondering if my DH would find it too 'girly'. Did you find it to be too 'estrogen filled'?
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started P90x cold and out of shape. I, honestly could even really pass all of the fitness test criteria, but I said who cares and jumped in.

IT WAS HARD, VERY HARD at first. The key point is at first. You should expect to struggle with some or all of the program at first. He stresses that it's ok to take a break if you need one. You just do the best you can, even if it's only 50% of what they're doing on the screen. If you can't do a push up or a pull up, then you probably really do need to get in better physical shape before trying to tackle the program.

Also, this is not focused on being a weight loss program. If you do it, will you lose weight? Very likely. It's more precisely designed to strengthen your body and help you achieve a better looking and fit body. I enjoyed doing the P90x and will start up again soon I hope. I still can't do everything he does, but look forward to the day when i can.
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Turbo Fire to anyone, for the fact that you can modify the moves, you do NOT have to jump, you can grow with it. Although, I can see some people being a little scared of it, and I would tell them to start with Turbo Jam, and move up to Turbo Fire. And yes, men do it to, I have my husband doing it now, and he gets sore from it, and doesn't feel it to be too girly. ( I thought the same thing) Turbo Fire has short HIIT work outs, where you do a "Fire Drill" for about ONE minute, then you recover for one minute!
  • IndyFit52
    Options
    [/quote]
    IndyFit, since you're discussing Turbo Fire I assume you've done it? I'm currently using Turbo Fire & I keep wondering if any guys have done it. I'm wondering if my DH would find it too 'girly'. Did you find it to be too 'estrogen filled'?
    [/quote]

I have not. It's obviously marketed towards women judging by the ratio of women to men in the promo video. But would I do it? Sure, if I didn't have to pay for it. And is it too girly? Well in terms of benefits, no, both men and women would experience some considerable cardiovascular benefits from the vids. In terms of style, mabye. But what heterosexual male wouldn't want to watch a room full of attractive women exercise? And I'm not saying that tongue in cheek. That could be very motivating for some guys.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm sure you saw it coming, but I couldn't let this post go by without a response. I couldn't agree less with you. I gotta tell you, I think your post might be useful for only the most naive & under-motivated individuals here. There are SO many people on this site that have had great success with P90X, I can't keep track of em (myself included). There are endless threads of people getting great results. Many of whom swear that they've saved money in the long run by foregoing gym fees & expensive personal trainers.

Too hard? It's supposed to be hard! How many times in their pitch do they make it clear that this is for those who "want to get REALLY fit"??? It 's not just to lose a few pounds. They also offer plenty of ways to adjust the exercises. Tony constantly tells you that you don't need to keep up with them - just work towards that goal eventually. By your logic I think we should also let people know they shouldn't have kids - because we parents know that it wasn't til after that we realized how hard & complicated it is! And how about marriage or getting a college degree? You don't really see how much is involved until after you're in it. So should we altogether bail on those things too? The point is it's worth it if you're willing to work hard. And you'll get out of it what you put into it. Only the very naive think it'll be a breeze going into it.

Too long? Really? I admit it's not a quick workout, but it's not supposed to be. I'm surprised to hear a personal trainer say that the 60 minutes is too long (only 1 is 90). Anything that incorporates some cardio should at least be 35-40 minutes to start getting any bang for your buck.

You also seem to be trying to warn people that they shouldn't expect to just plunk down $140 & hit play and expect the infomercial-type results. Isn't that just common sense? Of course you have to pay attention to nutrition as well. That's why there are so many P90X users here on this site - because they know they have to watch it closely. In fact, you said that 50% of it is nutrition. Actually I think it's more like 70-80%. Who actually believes that getting great results is no further away than buying some DVD program & not watching your diet carefully? I say only the most naive.

I admit that your post will probably be helpful to some, probably to those who are still looking for that quick fix. They've already tried magic pills & 10 minute workouts to no avail. Your head's up post should deflect their interest. But most regular users of this site are here because they know that good diet and exercise are the only real way to go to get fit and stay that way. And if you want to get really fit, it'll take more of that simple equation.

I don't mean to be barking at you personally. I just don't see the value of your coming down so hard on a great workout program that does exactly what it advertises - nothing more, nothing less. I've done the program successfully and now continue to do so with my own variations which include going "outside doing things I enjoy".

There was a time when I was still debating whether or not to get P90X & dedicate that much time & effort to it. I'm just glad I didn't run across your opinion then - it might've kept me from what I've accomplished now.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Wow.

Maybe you should say it was too hard and too complicated FOR YOU.

I was overweight when I started that program...it wasn't too hard or complicated. In fact, I loved it! (had to quit for surgery for female issues).

But in the 45 days I used it faithfully (yes it was a lot but that's part of the selling point), I lost so many inches! I couldn't believe it!

And I felt stronger and more powerful. I did a push up! LOL I did 15 pushups! and almost did a pullup...instead of just hanging on the bar LOL.

So, I do support it. Maybe not for people who are extremely overweight, but I have an extra 60 pounds on me and I did just fine.
  • hjsyndrome
    Options
    I toned up and lost 20 pounds when I did it. Was it tuff, sure. Is it for everyone, def not. But I wouldnt come out and say not to use it for anyone, but I do tell people that it is tuff and an extreme workout. I do agree on the nuitrition plan - for the most part. I did not follow it at all. Mostly because I am a picky eater and I dont like most of the food they mentioned in their plan. So I practice portion control and eat what I know I like. I wont try Zumba, but I wont tell anyone not to. Its all on what you know you can or want to do.

And yes, I stopped doing it - well exercising all together over the fall and holiday. It was not a smart move on my part, and I gained most of the weight back. I know I really have to mentally get into it otherwise I just wont do it.
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Wow IndyFit. P90X is too hard, too long and too complicated for you?

Glad that I don't waste my money with "personal trainers".
  • IndyFit52
    Options
    OK, I'm sure you saw it coming,

LOL, I did see it coming. I welcome any and all criticism of my views. And no, I don't think anyone would be naive enough to take my or your advice wholesale without investigating every angle. I just represent the opposite perspective of yours.
  • bradspace
    Options
    Bottom line in all of this is that do whatever works for you. Read (all over, not just this site) and research new programs and routines and try what appeals to you, if it works, great, if not the so be it. Fitness, like most things this personal, are a matter of taste. What you love and works for you, may not do a thing for someone else. If you approach it with an open mind and do your own legwork you may surprise yourself!
  • thammond46
    Options
    P90X is an "Extreme" Home Fitness Program that may not be for everyone, Agreed!. However there is a fitness test at the beginning of the proram to allow you to gauge.

I think the point of P90X it's not about doing every exercise perfectly or keeping up with the program. For myself I found the first phase (3 weeks) challenging and just as I got use to the exercises another phase would start and I found that next phase as challenging, if not more than the first.

So I agree that the workouts are chellenging but I do not think they are overly complex or difficult and often times for me it's about getting my cordination up to snuff. I do agree the workouts could be a bit shorter but at the end of the day, if you push play 5 or 6 days a week and work hard you will see measurable results in short order even if you don't do every exercise perfectly. Depending on your starting point you may not look like Tony Horton at the end of 90 Days but you will clearly see results.

If you are self motivated and don't want to drop ridiculous money to have some guy at the gym show you how to use the equipment, and pay for a nutrionist P90X may be perfect for you. For the one time investments of $150, you get a personal trainer, nutritional plan and gym in your DVD Player. I have found the investment well worth it.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    i'm not hardcore enough to do P90x. But I do love Tony Horton, so I highly recommend 10 minute trainer. I sweat more in 30 mins (I do 3) then I do with 60 mins on the elliptical. :smile: