P90X - Don't Do It

Options

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    P90X is an "Extreme" Home Fitness Program that may not be for everyone, Agreed!. However there is a fitness test at the beginning of the proram to allow you to gauge.
    just a thought..in order to DO the fitness test you'd have to have already spent the money and purchased the product.:wink:

No you can go online a do the fit test before you purchase!!!
    oh ok, good to know! Thanks Gigi:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    P90X is an "Extreme" Home Fitness Program that may not be for everyone, Agreed!. However there is a fitness test at the beginning of the proram to allow you to gauge.
    just a thought..in order to DO the fitness test you'd have to have already spent the money and purchased the product.:wink:

What d'ya mean? The fitness test is offered for free, even on beachbody's website:

http://www.beachbody.com/text/products/programs/p90x/p90xFitTest.pdf
    Not everyone had this info until now, certainly not I. Don't want to assume we all know everything about the product because though it is brought up often on MFP, it's rarely explained in much detail. Personally I thought you used one of the purchased DVDs for the fitness test. How would I know unless a BB person shared this info with me, right?:flowerforyou: But now I know, thank you for the info:wink: Seems it rattled you a bit that one of us out here not as familiar with BB products might not know more about the fitness test details.:smokin: :wink:

I know of ppl it has worked wonders for on here (Gigi is the first BB person that comes to mind) and I know of others that simply joined for heavy sales pitching. Since I don't have the DVDs myself I don't know all that contain. I certainly don't hate the product, I'm simply unfamiliar with it to some degree.

EDITED TO ADD: Okeyyyy I responded to this post before I saw the other boatload of the same responses .. I should have taken more time to read. I think the way you responded caught my attention enough that I felt the need to say what I did.:laugh: :ohwell:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    This isn't true. It takes about 3 seconds to find the fit test online...for free. Just FYI. (Welly, we were posting at same time!)
    Thanks for clarifying and even being kind in your response! Kindness...what a concept...some ppl seem to forget everyone on this site doesn't know everything about BB products. Fitness test online? news to me. But now I know:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    the only problem I have with Jillian Michaels- and I love her workouts- is the repetition- I want to do one move and then go on to the next move...I don't want to repeat the moves again 3 minutes later- I find myself getting bored in that respect...that's my only criticism of her though....
    Her videos ARE repetitious! She also has MANY books that are not the same workout over and over yet 4 different workouts each week and it changes each week. I have followed and completed 3 of her programs from her books and I am still NOT bored.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    3 words: GO JILLIAN MICHAELS! haha.
    I find her workouts, quick & to the point. Easy to fit into my day, and not so extremely absurd fitness wise that i cant manage it.
    I've never done p90x or even attempted, i just KNOW it's not for me.
    I'll stick with JM :)

Yeah I cannot stand Jillian Michaels either....I'd rather do Tae Bo or something else.
    Her books are VERY informative and have a written out circuit training program that is NOTHING close to boring... although I love circuits... but in her books, you don't have to deal with JM herself.
  • TeresaHinson2
    TeresaHinson2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I guess it all boils down to what your motivations are and your level of experience. I was severely overweight when I started P90X BUT I had previously been super fit in years past. Looking at me at that severely overweight state, no one would have thought that I used to be a gym rat and trained like I was a bodybuilder. That is the mistake a lot of people make when they make the assumptions about who a "typical user" of a certain site is. I love this site because it keeps me on target with all of my nutritional goals and it helps me monitor my exercise as well. I credit P90X, Insanity, a couple of the dvds from Hip Hop Abs and Turbo Jam for getting me back on track. I also use other workout dvds as well. The "program" ones are especialy helpful because it helps you to stay on track with progress charting and a schedule. I believe that ANYONE can do any of those programs (maybe with the exception of Insanity) with modifications. I modified like crazy in my first round of P90X and did a lot better the 2nd round and for the 3rd round, I was pretty much keeping up with them on the dvd. I believe we do people a disservice when we make generalizations about the level of experience, commitment and drive we attach to them. If you want to do one of the "Extreme" programs; go for it. Just do what you can do and strive to improve!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't think that it is impossible to do, novice or not.

Yes, the program can be boring, but so is trudging on a treadmill or elliptical or lifting weights. It's all in your perception.
    I don't think you should say that you are a trainer and that people SHOULD NOT try P90X. Let folks choose for themselves. This program has done me a world of good and I would recommend it to anyone SERIOUS about getting in shape. It's all about commitment and mind set, and no one says the program MUST be done in the 90 days. No reason to not incorporate in another work out option to counteract potential burn out.

If any one is thinking about trying P90X, at least try it-then decide for yourself if it is for you. LOTS AND LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH THIS PROGRAM. Why not you too?

It's absolutely the responsibility of someone who has an education or experience in the field to make general recommendations based on their broader perspective.

Saying "let everyone choose for themselves" is easy when the $150 isn't coming out of your pocket.

There are a lot of beginners that really aren't qualified to "choose for themselves" and appreciate some guidance. Personally, I would not have expressed the idea the way the OP did, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

I understand the other argument as well, which is why I tend to make more nuanced recommendations (and why my posts are so long :laugh: ). For every "general statement" there are always exceptions--OTOH, individual anecdotes are a poor basis for making recommendations for others. The fact that some untrained and unfit people claim to have experienced "success" with P90x does not really mean much. However, it is possible for a qualified professional to analyze the physical demands of a program like P90x and compare that to the abilities in the average population and make general recommendations. I would just avoid making the kind of "absolutist" types of remarks the OP made--IMO they just undermine your credibility.

PS: I attended a presentation last October where the presenter did a survey in his area of those who purchased the P90x program. He found that the dropout rate was over 60%. As I said, I would not have taken the tone of the OP, but there is certainly justification for urging caution about the program --especially considering the bombast and deliberate misinformation communicated in the infomercial.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    P90X is too hard. Is that brief enough?

P90X is too long.

P90X is too complicated.

With all-due respect, I beg to differ here. Just because it doesn't work for you - doesn't mean that no one else should try it. In fact, I LOVE the P90X series! One of my first personal trainers introduced me to it, and I haven't found anything else like it. I love it, and so do thousands of other people. It's okay that you don't like it, but there's no need to be so outright negative about it, is there??

What's important when it comes to exercise is LOVING WHAT YOU DO. If that's P90X, then so be it! We're all different. :wink:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I have tried twice now to work though the p90x DVD system only to quit each time in favor of other workout programs.

my lack of discipline and will power,

I just could not figure out what in the world I was supposed to eat using their system.

I have to give Tony Horton his props. I learned quite a few exercises from his DVDs and I shamelessly incorporate them into my own exercise programs.

As a 40 year old female, with a full time job, two kids, and a husband I was able to do several rounds of P90X. I guess I just wanted it bad enough.
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading all the responses to this post. So, now I would like to add my two cents. While I did not pay the $499 to the ISSA to get a personal training certification I do think I have a few life qualifications that will allow me to speak reasonably about this post. First, I am a United States Marine. I have run for many, many, miles, in every possible environment, and carry more men over my shoulder than I would wager that the OP has. Second, I teach many military and law enforcement personnel Krav Maga (look it up) and other methods of maintaining a combat ready level of fitness. I say all of this to say this. P90X works. Period. I am only a few weeks away from finishing an entire year of P90X and Insanity hybrids. The programs are intense, but the programs are also flexible.

One thing the OP failed to mention, was that when you buy the program, you actually get 3 programs in one! A P90X lean version that has less intense strength training and a higher focus on cardio. The P90X classic program which is the meat and potatoes of the program. And the P90X doubles program for guys like me and my wife. Is the program cost effective? Well I used a personal trainer for 2 weeks at $25 a session (huge friend discount). So in 2 weeks I spent $250 and then he couldnt train me any more at that price. With P90X I got some very good coaching and an awesome meal plan. The meal plan was so thorough that the OP's comment about not knowing what to eat makes me suspect he didnt use the program correctly or had a bootleg copy that didnt have the eating program.

Anyway, I digress. My point is this. P90X works. It works for Marines like me and for 40 year old mothers of 2 that manage to balance all that responsibility and still get up every morning and kick butt with me. Yes MFPers, My wife Edorice, is a P90X Goddess and she keeps up with this Marine every morning. So all those of you that feel the need to cut and run because of one persons opinion, maybe you were never going to try it in the first place out of fear and his rant gave you the perfect scapegoat.

Don't be scurred! Come and join the rest of this P90X cult. What do you have to lose? Besides the weight of course. Oh and you can try the program for 60 days and get your money back. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Try getting your money back from a trainer. I'm still waiting for mine to call me back.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading all the responses to this post. So, now I would like to add my two cents. While I did not pay the $499 to the ISSA to get a personal training certification I do think I have a few life qualifications that will allow me to speak reasonably about this post. First, I am a United States Marine. I have run for many, many, miles, in every possible environment, and carry more men over my shoulder than I would wager that the OP has. Second, I teach many military and law enforcement personnel Krav Maga (look it up) and other methods of maintaining a combat ready level of fitness. I say all of this to say this. P90X works. Period. I am only a few weeks away from finishing an entire year of P90X and Insanity hybrids. The programs are intense, but the programs are also flexible.

One thing the OP failed to mention, was that when you buy the program, you actually get 3 programs in one! A P90X lean version that has less intense strength training and a higher focus on cardio. The P90X classic program which is the meat and potatoes of the program. And the P90X doubles program for guys like me and my wife. Is the program cost effective? Well I used a personal trainer for 2 weeks at $25 a session (huge friend discount). So in 2 weeks I spent $250 and then he couldnt train me any more at that price. With P90X I got some very good coaching and an awesome meal plan. The meal plan was so thorough that the OP's comment about not knowing what to eat makes me suspect he didnt use the program correctly or had a bootleg copy that didnt have the eating program.

Anyway, I digress. My point is this. P90X works. It works for Marines like me and for 40 year old mothers of 2 that manage to balance all that responsibility and still get up every morning and kick butt with me. Yes MFPers, My wife Edorice, is a P90X Goddess and she keeps up with this Marine every morning. So all those of you that feel the need to cut and run because of one persons opinion, maybe you were never going to try it in the first place out of fear and his rant gave you the perfect scapegoat.

Don't be scurred! Come and join the rest of this P90X cult. What do you have to lose? Besides the weight of course. Oh and you can try the program for 60 days and get your money back. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Try getting your money back from a trainer. I'm still waiting for mine to call me back.

Love it!!! And totally agree :drinker:
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    "With challenge comes change."

What else do I need to say? P90X is a great workout, and is an awesome calorie burner. I do agree about the yoga program; however, I do yoga. I just watch the yoga program on fit tv instead. Modifing the workouts is what it's all about. My favorite excersice has to be the plyometrics workout. I feel like I can jump over building after I'm done.

Tony preaches, "Do your best and forget the rest!!" If you can't do a certain excercise for very long than if you do your best than thats all thats asked of you. At least you show up.

Once we achieve our fat burning bodies, the workouts are easier and you will be able to burn more calories just by sleeping. The problem is that we have gotten into a rut and have to work our ways out of it.
  • IndyFit52
    Options
    I would just avoid making the kind of "absolutist" types of remarks the OP made--IMO they just undermine your credibility.

Noted. And well said.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    The fact that some untrained and unfit people claim to have experienced "success" with P90x does not really mean much. However, it is possible for a qualified professional to analyze the physical demands of a program like P90x and compare that to the abilities in the average population and make general recommendations. I would just avoid making the kind of "absolutist" types of remarks the OP made--IMO they just undermine your credibility.
    Felt this needed to be reiterated.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The fact that some untrained and unfit people claim to have experienced "success" with P90x does not really mean much. However, it is possible for a qualified professional to analyze the physical demands of a program like P90x and compare that to the abilities in the average population and make general recommendations. I would just avoid making the kind of "absolutist" types of remarks the OP made--IMO they just undermine your credibility.
    Felt this needed to be reiterated.

Thanks for the complimentary words. Let me just emphasize I wasn't taking a shot at the OP. I realize rereading that comment that "undermines your credibility" might sound a little harsh. I just meant that, in health and fitness there are a lot of gray areas and any time one makes too strong a statement, there are usually lots of "exceptions to the rule" that people will cite that can weaken your argument, even if it was a valid one to begin with. I meant the comment more semantically than personally. I have been raked over the coals enough for intemperate statements (that I still make from time to time) that I have learned my lesson.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to know what their actual drop out rate is.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few of the P90X workouts in the past. They weren't too "difficult" for me, because I didn't expect to be able to keep up with the people in the video anyways. They weren't too "long" for me, because almost every single day I'll spend over 2 hours on the computer doing nothing, so why not use that time to exercise?

The only part that bothered me, and which made me turn away from the thought of going through with this program, is how annoying Tony Horton can be in some videos. That in itself honestly made me turn the video off. He was repeating himself during reps or something, and it just annoyed me so much! I lost all motivation to keep pushing myself.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I agree that P90X is NOT for people who have never exercised. That being said, I think it's an amazing program that has transformed many people's bodies and health.

This is a transcript from Tony Horton himself about WHY P90X is supposed to be hard!

"P90X is a skill based program. There are supposed to be alot of exercises you can't do the first time, the second time, the third time, the forth time, the fifth time. But maybe by the 6th, 7th, or 8th time you can do one or two of them. For alot of people that can be very frustrating, and is the reason that no one has done a program like P90X before, because people who make fitness programs are afraid to deliver something that people can't do pretty well right away. That's why the plateau effect is the case for so many other programs. For P90X it's a completely different thing. There are people who start P90X and they can't do half or 3/4 of it but they GOT THE CONCEPT that IT'S a JOURNEY, it's a struggle, and over the course of time, that's how you improve. You get BETTER at your pull-ups, you get BETTER at your push-ups, your range of motion increases, and your flexibility increases."
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    The only part that bothered me, and which made me turn away from the thought of going through with this program, is how annoying Tony Horton can be in some videos. That in itself honestly made me turn the video off. He was repeating himself during reps or something, and it just annoyed me so much! I lost all motivation to keep pushing myself.

That's when you turn down the sound and turn on your stereo, radio, Ipod, etc to your favorite songs. Believe me, Tony is funny the first couple of times but hearing him over & over CAN be annoying.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the P90X program and happy to report I am seeing progress. (I also enjoy some Mr. Tony H. on a daily basis too! :p) However, knowing what I know now, I would not have invested the money and stuck with Jillian like MissAnjy said.

I am, and have always been, very strong minded, motivated, and looking for a challenge, which is WHY I opted to try P90X. I was using Jillian’s workouts (among other things) before starting P90X and got just as much of a workout as I do with P90X, it just didn’t take 1-1 ½ hours to complete each day. Most people do not have that kind of time on their hands and as a wife, mom, and college student, I can’t say that I do either…but I MAKE myself find the time. It is an intense workout, which is what I was looking for, but I’ve also been an exercise fanatic for over 13 years.

I also agree with Xenocat….I finished the original P90 before starting the ‘X’ version. A good idea for anyone interested in P90X since many of the moves come from the original. And I couldn’t agree with the OP more….the yoga disk was beyond boring and entirely too long. I fought through the first 50 minutes or so thinking, okay…any minute now the moves will change and we’ll do SOMETHING else. It wasn’t until after those 50 (or so) minutes that the moves FINALLY changed. I also agree with the OP’s opinion of the nutritional plan.

Overall, as I mentioned, had I known before buying the program what I know now, I would have stuck with Jillian and bought more of her DVD’s. Can’t beat the price, it doesn’t require all the additional equipment (or drinks or supplements or fitness bars…optional, sure, but for me and many others who want to follow the program as intended, a necessity) AND Jillian gives you a great workout as well (I do usually double up her routines though, just because I’m looking for more than a 25 minute workout…doubling it up is perfect for me!).

P90X is a great workout, but I’d have to agree that most users would find it too intense and lose the motivation to continue.
    If you’re able to get your hands on it without shelling out the bucks, might be worth a try….otherwise, you may want to save your money. (Sorry to all those who I’m sure will adamantly oppose my viewpoint, BUT I do have an opinion as well) Having said all that, as others have mentioned, it IS only a viewpoint, it is up to each individual to choose for themselves and find what works for them AND will keep them motivated to continue. However, it IS nice to have an opinion (good OR bad) of those who have tried it.

I know before I bought it, all I EVER heard (or read) were the INCREDIBLE reviews and transformations thanks to P90X. I was SO hyped, then, once I started it, I was rather disappointed. I noticed others saying the OP shouldn’t be telling others what to do or what not to buy.………just because there may be others who are not P90X fanatics doesn’t mean they shouldn’t voice their opinion just the same as everyone else. I would have appreciated other viewpoints before having started the program, so I hope others can appreciate the OP’s “brave” attempt to offer his.

As Tony says….”Do your best and forget the rest!” Have a fantastic day everyone! :flowerforyou:

(Side note: Great quote to include in your post ElaineKatko!)