P90X - Don't Do It

Options

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Having finished a round in the past and being in the midst of another round alongside my boyfriend, I'm surprisingly in agreement with much of the OP's response.

There's a lot of people that probably shouldn't start P90X expecting miracles. It can be long and many times life gets in the way of its strict regime. I'll switch days, double up on others, skip days for a run. Whatever. There's ways the program can be modified to be beneficial and still fit into your life.

I don't like the yoga video. And it's not because I oppose 90 minute workouts, I just get extremely bored with it. I would much rather go outside and run a 10 miler...and I'll do so most every weekend. It's all in perspective, I suppose.

In terms of "long term" lifting programs and methodologies there are a lot better options out there that are shorter in workout length and build more impressive gains (Leangains, Stronglifts, Starting Strength, NROL, etc). Though, IMO, they take a lot more willpower, ability, and most usually a gym membership (or access to a squat rack). They may require the consult of a trainer or the repeated watching of YouTube videos on form. I've done the New Rules of Lifting program in the past. After this round of P90X I'll fall back into that alongside my distance running. Just seems more flexible / sustainable in the long term.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    The only part that bothered me, and which made me turn away from the thought of going through with this program, is how annoying Tony Horton can be in some videos. That in itself honestly made me turn the video off. He was repeating himself during reps or something, and it just annoyed me so much! I lost all motivation to keep pushing myself.

Haha, I know what you mean. I think his humor is pretty corny, but still well intended. I think of him as a buff version of Michael Scott (from "The Office"). I just turn down the volume sometimes.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to know what their actual drop out rate is.

I mentioned in an earlier comment that I attended a presentation last October from a guy who works at large center in the San Diego area and is really an expert in a lot of fitness areas (and believe me, I do not use that term lightly). He did a survey in the San Diego area of people who had purchased P90X and said, according to his results, the dropout rate was 60%. It was not the kind of rigorous survey that could be published but, given the nature of the program, and the general drop out rate of people starting fitness programs in general, I thought the number was about what I would have expected.

It's also what you would expect from any high (or higher) intensity workout program. It doesn't mean they are bad (I have no opinion about the P90x program itself--I know the whole concept of "muscle confusion" is gibberish, but that doesn't mean the program can't be effective--proponents of cross fit, yoga, and pilates spout mountains of gibberish as well and those routines can benefit people as well).

P90x stands out and perhaps attracts more negative attention because of the way it is marketed and the cost--but its marketing is certainly no worse that what people like Jillian Michaels puts out and I can almost guarantee that P90X, overpriced as it is, is a lot more worthwhile that the junk JM peddles.

My only problem with programs like P90x, HIIT, or crossfit is when they are either touted as The True Faith or when they are inappropriately recommended for the wrong population groups.
  • JaimeNay
    JaimeNay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a mother of 3 boys, and I haven't worked out in 7 years when I started P90X. I knew I was extremely out of shape. Thought I was going to die just doing jumping jacks. But I stuck to the program and did my best. Pushing harder each day. I was so sore I had to roll out of bed for a week. But I didn't let that stop me. I was determined to get up each day and push play. I think it just boils down to people having determination or not.Yeah, it's very challenging, but I didn't want a program that was going to make me feel good about myself because I could keep up, even though I was out of shape. This program showed me I have a ways to go and gave me a goal to look forward to. Everyday I can do more. You go online and print out the workout sheets that you keep track of your progress with weights/push-ups/pull-ups. It's a great feeling looking back from week one to week 8 and seeing the accomplishments.

I think people give up way to early. If you watch the Biggest Loser, those people are pushed to the limit, but you don't see the winners giving up after day 5 because it takes too long, or its too hard. Winners never quit, no matter how hard it gets. Try and try again. The first 30 days of the program I lost 9.6 inches off my body and 7 lbs. My strength increased and my clothes fit better.

I have 3 younger sisters, one is a Zumba instructor, To look at them, they all "look" in better shape than I do but when I brought over my P90X videos, they couldn't keep up with ME. They gave up and said it wasn't a fun workout. Zumba may be fun, I agree, but it doesn't bring results. Fun doesn't = fitness. I'd rather have a program that pushes me everyday.

Nobody told those obese people on the Biggest Loser it was too hard, don't do it. If I remember correctly Bob and Jillian say, "Get UP!! You CAN do it. I don't want to hear any excuses!!" I believe ANYONE can do P90X no matter what their weight is, just modify and do your best and you'll get better each day.

I know it will take more than one round of P90X to get me where I want to be, but I'm not giving up because it's too hard or Yoga is too long, I don't have enough time. I get up at 5 am do my workouts, get 3 kids ready for school, go to work from 8-5, am a scout leader, chamber volunteer, church goer, attend ball games 3 nights a week, cook all our meals at home and don't have time to relax until I'm in bed at night, but I'm not complaining. I love my life and make time for myself whenever I can and I don't like people that are negative.

All workouts are good for you. If you're up and moving, I say WAY TO GO! I would never tell someone they can't do it. What a way to bring someone down. I guess you've never had determination and heart. To everyone that's working out, no matter what your program, I say push yourself harder each day and don't give up. Don't let anyone tell you , you can't do it, it's too hard. Just because someone else gave up, doesn't mean you have to cut yourself short of a great opportunity.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I got mine on craigslist for 60$ ... Not many people pay full price anymore do they? Over xmas on the official website it was 60 $ too ...

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but since I got it for 60$ I'm going to try it myself ... Lost 50 lbs, just trying to keep it off (gained 20 more since September) I live in a small mountain town, so the gym is the only option here for winter ... I need something to do indoors. I found the banana rolls hard to do in my small living room, and I can't do everything they do, but I plan on working up to it.

I've never been scared off anything because it looks challenging. I couldn't have lost 50 lbs through exersise alone if I ever thought negative like that
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Amen sister!! I love her too! :)
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    3 words: GO JILLIAN MICHAELS! haha.
    I find her workouts, quick & to the point. Easy to fit into my day, and not so extremely absurd fitness wise that i cant manage it.
    I've never done p90x or even attempted, i just KNOW it's not for me.
    I'll stick with JM :)

Amen sister!!! I love her too!!! :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I mentioned in an earlier comment that I attended a presentation last October from a guy who works at large center in the San Diego area and is really an expert in a lot of fitness areas (and believe me, I do not use that term lightly). He did a survey in the San Diego area of people who had purchased P90X and said, according to his results, the dropout rate was 60%. It was not the kind of rigorous survey that could be published but, given the nature of the program, and the general drop out rate of people starting fitness programs in general, I thought the number was about what I would have expected.

Judging from the amount of people that sign up for a costly gym membership in January and are never seen again after March, I would imagine the drop out rate is 60% as well.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it but most of my workouts i do at the gym though. When I am not doing that I usually just pop in Jilian michaels video.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

Judging from the amount of people that sign up for a costly gym membership in January and are never seen again after March, I would imagine the drop out rate is 60% as well.

This is probably very true! I go to the gym year round and have for a few years.... I dread January -March honestly because I have to fight through people to get my stuff done... but by mid March.... back to smooth sailin.
    Hmm Maybe Every January-March I should do P90X and avoid the gym in general ;)
    This is a sad point, but very valid. It is not only P90X... the drop put rate in general is pretty large. :(
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Don’t do it. Put down the credit card. I’m telling you, you’re going to waste that $150 if you type those 16 numbers into the form and hit enter. Seriously. p90x is a fabulous workout, but not for you.

Here’s a brief explanation of why I do not recommend P90X for my clients.

P90X is too hard. Is that brief enough?

Tony Horton will come right out and tell you that P90X is hard, really really hard. He establishes a minimum fitness level one must attain before even attempting the workout. Well, I met those requirements. I am a personal trainer. I am in better than average shape and I can perform every exercise prescribed in this workout. I have tried twice now to work though the p90x DVD system only to quit each time in favor of other workout programs. It’s just simply too aggressive to sustain my, and I’m guessing your, motivation. I got to the point where I dreaded performing some of the DVDs. And when it comes to fitness, if there’s something you dread, sooner or later you are going to stop doing it.

P90X is too long.

I don’t have 90 minutes to workout. One of his DVDs, the yoga one I believe, was close to an hour and a half long. 20 minutes into the workout I was bored and ready to move on to the next obligation in my daily routine. I’m sure the P90X faithful will criticize my lack of discipline and will power, but that’s exactly why I don’t recommend P90X to novice trainers. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline and will power to make it through the program. I heard recently that the success of a fitness program is in its longevity. If you can sustain it, you can attain it. I just simply could not sustain my motivation to keep jumping around my living room when I would have rather been outside doing things I enjoy.

P90X is too complicated.

What’s so complicated about pushing play on a DVD player and doing what the DVD tells you to do? Nothing. But if that’s all you do, you’re going to see 50% of the results that P90X promises. That’s because exercise is 50% of fitness. What about your diet? I got nothing out of the diet and nutrition literature than accompanied the DVDs. I just could not figure out what in the world I was supposed to eat using their system. I go back to what I said earlier. Fitness is a result of longevity. Well to take that a step further, longevity is a result of simplicity. P90X and its accompanying diet plan was too complicated to offer me any benefit.

I have to give Tony Horton his props. I learned quite a few exercises from his DVDs and I shamelessly incorporate them into my own exercise programs. But as a package, I recommend that beginner to intermediate fitness goers pursue less intense, simpler exercise programs to which they will be more likely to adhere over the long term.

Boy amI glad I don't have you as a trainer. I lost over 80 lbs doing P90X. Was it hard? Hell yes, but anything that's worth it is hard. It really makes me mad when people that couldn't even do the program come on a public forum and tells people not to do it. Here is a suggestion. Do P90X for the 90 days as it's layed out them come give us an honest recommendation. Until then you really can't talk negative about it.
    For me, I was almost 250 lbs when I started P90X. I had high blood pressure and was on medication and I had obstructive sleep apnea. Now I am not on meds and do not have sleep apnea which is fatal by the way. I can say that P90X may have saved my life. Any Program, not only P90X but any program no mater how hard it is that can get somebody to eat right and exercise is well worth the money. It's way cheaper then a gym and a personal trainer. I have a personal trainer in Tony Horton and when I get tired of listening to him (which I don't, he cracks me up), I can mute him.
    So I say if you wan't to do P90X and you can commit then go for it. You won't be sorry. If you give up, it's your fault not P90X's.
    You are not expected to do what they do in the videos. If you could you wouldn't need the videos. You do your best and each week you get better.
    Nuff Said...Rant Over
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    The only part that bothered me, and which made me turn away from the thought of going through with this program, is how annoying Tony Horton can be in some videos. That in itself honestly made me turn the video off. He was repeating himself during reps or something, and it just annoyed me so much! I lost all motivation to keep pushing myself.

Haha, I know what you mean. I think his humor is pretty corny, but still well intended. I think of him as a buff version of Michael Scott (from "The Office"). I just turn down the volume sometimes.

This is so funny - I think he is so corny .. but in a good way. He makes me laugh --- I guess different people take him him different ways. I like his corny humor... it keeps me smiling....

Oh and if you think the P90X is bad you should see his first tapes - Power 90 and Power 1/2 hour --- it's really bad. It's not even a gym background - more like a cloth back drop in a garage or something. But it still works for me...
  • darknight0dc
    Options
    i was curious about P90X, because I see so many people who swear by it, but I was watching an ad for it and I honestly cant believe that anyone who isn't already in peak physical condition could possibly enjoy that!
    also, the training seems so intense that as soon as you stop wouldn't you immediately see your results reverse
    (meaning muscle loss & weight gain)?
    I feel like what you're saying about longevity is exactly right; you can get P90X results from diligently doing workouts that you enjoy.

thanks for the heads-up about this program. :)
  • laddyboy
    Options
    i was curious about P90X, because I see so many people who swear by it, but I was watching an ad for it and I honestly cant believe that anyone who isn't already in peak physical condition could possibly enjoy that!
    also, the training seems so intense that as soon as you stop wouldn't you immediately see your results reverse
    (meaning muscle loss & weight gain)?
    I feel like what you're saying about longevity is exactly right; you can get P90X results from diligently doing workouts that you enjoy.

thanks for the heads-up about this program. :)

The whole Idea is building muscle and burning fat. Muscle is your metabolism. Build more muscle you'll maintain your results longer. That's why you hear people say. "I lost X amount of lbs and more came back. When you diet and don't exercise you lose not only fat but muscle and this lowers your metabolism and yes, you gain more back.
    And P90X uses a science called muscle confusion. When you do the same exercise over and over again your muscles remember that and you eventually plataue. With P90X, you don't have that problems. Over the last year I've gone from a 2250 calorie maintenance caloric intake to 2479. The muscle I've built have increased my metabolism so I can eat more without gaining weight. P90X Rocks.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Im so glad you said this.... i was thinking the exact same thing!!! :wink:
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Don’t do it. Put down the credit card. I’m telling you, you’re going to waste that $150 if you type those 16 numbers into the form and hit enter. Seriously. p90x is a fabulous workout, but not for you.

Tony Horton will come right out and tell you that P90X is hard, really really hard. He establishes a minimum fitness level one must attain before even attempting the workout. Well, I met those requirements. I am a personal trainer. I am in better than average shape and I can perform every exercise prescribed in this workout. I have tried twice now to work though the p90x DVD system only to quit each time in favor of other workout programs. It’s just simply too aggressive to sustain my, and I’m guessing your, motivation. I got to the point where I dreaded performing some of the DVDs. And when it comes to fitness, if there’s something you dread, sooner or later you are going to stop doing it.

P90X is too long.

I don’t have 90 minutes to workout. One of his DVDs, the yoga one I believe, was close to an hour and a half long. 20 minutes into the workout I was bored and ready to move on to the next obligation in my daily routine. I’m sure the P90X faithful will criticize my lack of discipline and will power, but that’s exactly why I don’t recommend P90X to novice trainers. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline and will power to make it through the program. I heard recently that the success of a fitness program is in its longevity. If you can sustain it, you can attain it. I just simply could not sustain my motivation to keep jumping around my living room when I would have rather been outside doing things I enjoy.

P90X is too complicated.

What’s so complicated about pushing play on a DVD player and doing what the DVD tells you to do? Nothing. But if that’s all you do, you’re going to see 50% of the results that P90X promises. That’s because exercise is 50% of fitness. What about your diet? I got nothing out of the diet and nutrition literature than accompanied the DVDs. I just could not figure out what in the world I was supposed to eat using their system. I go back to what I said earlier. Fitness is a result of longevity. Well to take that a step further, longevity is a result of simplicity. P90X and its accompanying diet plan was too complicated to offer me any benefit.

I have to give Tony Horton his props. I learned quite a few exercises from his DVDs and I shamelessly incorporate them into my own exercise programs. But as a package, I recommend that beginner to intermediate fitness goers pursue less intense, simpler exercise programs to which they will be more likely to adhere over the long term.

Boy amI glad I don't have you as a trainer. I lost over 80 lbs doing P90X. Was it hard? Hell yes, but anything that's worth it is hard. It really makes me mad when people that couldn't even do the program come on a public forum and tells people not to do it. Here is a suggestion. Do P90X for the 90 days as it's layed out them come give us an honest recommendation. Until then you really can't talk negative about it.
    For me, I was almost 250 lbs when I started P90X. I had high blood pressure and was on medication and I had obstructive sleep apnea. Now I am not on meds and do not have sleep apnea which is fatal by the way. I can say that P90X may have saved my life. Any Program, not only P90X but any program no mater how hard it is that can get somebody to eat right and exercise is well worth the money. It's way cheaper then a gym and a personal trainer. I have a personal trainer in Tony Horton and when I get tired of listening to him (which I don't, he cracks me up), I can mute him.
    So I say if you wan't to do P90X and you can commit then go for it. You won't be sorry. If you give up, it's your fault not P90X's.
    You are not expected to do what they do in the videos. If you could you wouldn't need the videos. You do your best and each week you get better.
    Nuff Said...Rant Over
    P90X changed my life too. Down from 270 to 200. Amazing change. Completed one round of Power 90 and 2 Rounds of P90X. If it wasn't hard or challenging, I would have never tried it. If you are looking for the easy way, try some bogus pills that make you think you are losing weight. P90X is amazing. Put me in the most amazing shape I have ever seen. I have never even seen a six pack in real life, now I have one.. Tony put the life back into me. Now I "Bring it" everyday. Tony is a modern day hero. I don't care how much it costs. It was well worth it. Oh and you can't pay for a month's worth of personal training for what you do P90X. Oh and thats my own opinion. BUT, most of is truth.
  • laddyboy
    Options

P90X is too long.

P90X is too complicated.

Nuff Said...Rant Over
    P90X changed my life too. Down from 270 to 200. Amazing change. Completed one round of Power 90 and 2 Rounds of P90X. If it wasn't hard or challenging, I would have never tried it. If you are looking for the easy way, try some bogus pills that make you think you are losing weight. P90X is amazing. Put me in the most amazing shape I have ever seen. I have never even seen a six pack in real life, now I have one.. Tony put the life back into me. Now I "Bring it" everyday. Tony is a modern day hero. I don't care how much it costs. It was well worth it. Oh and you can't pay for a month's worth of personal training for what you do P90X. Oh and thats my own opinion. BUT, most of is truth.

Amen Bro!!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

P90X is too long.

P90X is too complicated.

Nuff Said...Rant Over

Well said both of You! Thanks for sharing your stories.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

It's not, but keep trying.
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I refuse to spend 150 dollars for P90X or any excercise plan. There are ways to find these things for free or half the cost. I got P90X from my library for free.
    As for the program, it works for me. When i go to a gym i normally spend an hour and a half there. P90X time is not an issue for me. As for home excercise programs in general, i do them in the winter. Its way to cold to go out so i love these dvds. When the warm comes back, i ditch the dvds, get my bike out and ride to the gym.