Lies I told myself

Options
12346»

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Why I could never lose weight (of course, not my fault):

2. I eat healthy and don't really eat that much anyway. Reality: just because I only take half of a donut doesn't make it a healthy choice; and don't forget grazing and foraging (you know, snacking off the family's plates as I clear the table).

this is my problem...
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    They really are making clothes a lot smaller these days, aren't they? Seems like today's size 16 is more like a 14 ten years ago. Yeah, right!!???
  • kao1970
    kao1970 Posts: 22
    Options
    Why I could never lose weight (of course, not my fault):

1. Something must be physically wrong with me because I'm never hungry. Reality: I was eating all of the time and never allowed myself to get hungry.

2. I eat healthy and don't really eat that much anyway. Reality: just because I only take half of a donut doesn't make it a healthy choice; and don't forget grazing and foraging (you know, snacking off the family's plates as I clear the table).

3. A candy bar every day is not that bad. Reality: every day! Really?! What about the ice cream or (and) cookies later? How quickly I forgot.

4. I do sit ups so my stomach pouch must be a physical ailment. Reality: TOO MANY BAD CARBS AND SUGAR! (see #3)

5. I have a set point and can never go below it (again, convinced myself it was a physical thing). Reality: all in my head!

What about the rest of you? What lies/myths have you shattered?

this has me typed all over it
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm very healthy, I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Reality: I was headed for one or all of those diagnosis with 5 yrs.
  • marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    - I'm only 19, I have plenty of time to get skinny! [Said that for 3 years..]
    - I've lost enough weight already, taking a break won't hurt. [Ended up putting half the weight back on]
    - My BMI is in the 'normal' area, I'm fiiiine! [My BMI was rising after every doctors visit]
    - My bloated stomach has always been there! It must be normal for me [I'm a big fat fatty & need to cut out the junk food!]
    - I'm vegetarian there for I must be healthy [I don't eat fruit or veg. I live off pizza, pasta, rice, chips, crisps, chocolate & sweets]
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't look that overweight. Reality: Um, yes you do. I saw a picture of me and knew it was time to start getting serious.

This is me!! I was telling myself this unitl I saw a photo of me with my fit/lean sisters! I felt like crying because I DO LOOK OVERWEIGHT. I rarely look at myself full body in the mirror, by not looking this helped me keep the mindset that I didn't look overweight. Common sense tells ya you can't be 50 lbs overweight and NOT look over weight...its amazing the lies we can tell ourselves.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My big excuses revolved around work. Work was miserable. So I would comfort myself with fast food. I would work a 16 hour day...and say I didn't have time to make a "good" dinner or lunch. Then I would say my whole day was shot and just eat badly non-stop. I blamed it on stress eating. I was stressed, so I deserved a "treat".

while yes....work was stressful. I let it be an excuse for my bad choices.

life is wonderful now (as a self employed person) and there is no stress. So I have no one and nothing to put the blame on anymore. Blinders off! onwards and upwards. :)
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    "I'm not losing weight cos' I've hit 30". Now I'm finally sticking to it, am not bingeing at weekends and pretending that if it's taken from someone else's plate it doesn't count, I am losing weight just as easily!
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Last fall I was telling my husband that "I can't believe I've lost nearly 20lbs and still wear the same size clothes" (I"ve gained some back since then) and he says "yeah but your clothes were tight as hell" say what??!?!?!? I was miffed at first, but then I realized he was right. They WERE tight, I was just looking for an excuse to quit with the healthier life style, thinking "why bother losing weight if I still wear the same size clothes"...
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    "I've been working so hard, why am I not losing?? I must be at a plateau." Reality: I just ate a burger and fries for supper, and a whole bag of jelly beans in 2 days. I'm obviously not trying THAT hard.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any myself that weren't already said... but it made me think of a joke I saw about calories that don't count. One of them was broken cookies don't count as calories.. my husband says it all the time now when he opens the cookie jar lol
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    Lie: If it's on my plate, I should eat it, even if I'm full.
    Truth: Box up those leftovers, crazy lady! That's lunch for tomorrow. Two meals with half the calories each, instead of one meal with a LOT of 'em.

Lie: If I eat healthy during the week, it's okay to splurge on the weekends.
    Truth: If I'm not eating healthy during the week (I wasn't), I definitely should NOT splurge on the weekends!

Lie: I don't wear those pants because I don't like them as much as I did when I bought them.
    Truth: I don't wear those pants 'cause my fat butt doesn't fit in them!

Lie: Coffee doesn't have calories.
    Truth: It has plenty when you add heavy (40% milkfat) cream. Switching to milk is a great idea. :)

Lie: It's hard to count calories when you cook from scratch, so I'll just guesstimate.
    Truth: Measuring cups and my food scale are my friends. My eyeball isn't so trustworthy.

Lie: I want to eat good food--local cheeses, home-cured meats, fatty delicacies like pork belly and bone marrow, handmade pasta and gnocchi, etc.--and I refuse to sacrifice quality just to save calories.
    Truth: I can eat all of these things--just not all the time! And when I do have something decadent, I can eat just a little bit. The rest of my plate can be filled with other great foods--heirloom vegetables, fresh seasonal fruits, whole grains, etc.--that are a little more health-conscious.
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't LOOK like I weigh 190 pounds............

I have used this many times. Whenever I told someone I weighed 180 or 190 they would say "No way! You don't look like it!" And then I believed it. :grumble:
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I will go on a diet tomorrow

Reality: Tomorrow will always be tomorrow if today isn't the day.
  • jenni3001
    jenni3001 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 30 and my metabolism is slowing down. No matter what I do I'll never be skinny again. (i didn't consider that all those family sized bags of doritos may really be the reason I'm not losing weight).