Eight Week Transition Diet CHALLENGE! Join me Jan 24!

Options

Replies

• misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read this article and I'm in.... but let me tell you this is going to be INCREDIBLY difficult for me. I want to eat clean, I really do, but it sounds like alot of work and I am spoiled by convenience. I'm especially dreading the week where we cut down the rice and breads, etc.

Also, dreading the six small meals - I am a surgeon and sometimes I am in surgery for 8 hours straight so I'm scared I'm going to fail that particular week miserably. Can't exactly grab a quick bite when you are all sterile and scrubbed up and have your hands gloved in a warm body!

With that being said, I know that if I can do this - I will reap HUGE benefits. So hoping to get some encouragement along the way! Count me in.

THis completely cracked me up because I had surgery last year and I was really stressed out that my surgery was scheduled to run through lunch time, I was worried about someone cutting me open on an empty stomach! Anyway the surgeon told me after that as I was going under the last thing I said to her was that I brought some pretzels in my bag in case she got hungry LOL They got a kick out of it!

Back on topic, I'd like to join in on this too, My biggest challenge is getting enough water, I really don't get even close to enough, unless I very deliberately drink it, I don't get any. Another big one for me is my work situation. I got to work at about 3 oclock and don't get a chance to eat until around 10, and I work at an east side marios restaurant, it is REALLY hard to resist when I'm starving and there is a mistake that we are aloud to scarf down! There are NO good choices at esm, really none.
  • exxxtasi
    Options
    im in!...but is there a group i need to join to keep updated? :flowerforyou:
  • exxxtasi
    Options
  • mndish5
    Options
    I'm in...I could definitely use the group support and extra motivation.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

This is the group. :-)
    Just come post your progress every day.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for the list. I really needed this! It has some things I wouldn't have thought of before.
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    I'm ready for tomorrow! Yay!

Question:

Is popcorn junk? I know microwave popcorn probably is b/c of the salt/butter, etc...

But what if I use my air popper? Thanks !
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yay! I went grocery shopping today and consequently everything I bought is on that list.... except the Kashi cereal which I think I will not be able to eat on week 6. :grumble: :But hey, it's a start! :happy:
  • ElaineDianne70
    Options
    I'm ready for tomorrow! Yay!

Question:

Is popcorn junk? I know microwave popcorn probably is b/c of the salt/butter, etc...

But what if I use my air popper? Thanks !

I think minus the butter or oil it would not be considered junk. JMHO. :-)
  • hlokty07
    Options
    It's here! Everyone start strong! I know you can do it!
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    We can do this!! I'm about to start my morning off with some All bran and Blueberries. And of course I'm already drinnking my water!

Let's stick together!
  • kadenpup82
    kadenpup82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm ready for this week!!!
  • ElaineDianne70
    Options
    Just had trail mix for my snack along with 1/2 a Clif Builders protein bar. :-)
  • mlek
    mlek Posts: 110
    Options
    I'M IN! This is perfect for me!
  • andrea2011ka
    andrea2011ka Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Threw out 1/2 bag of tositos left over from a few weeks ago...I don't need the temptation.

I'm also a diet soda addict...I get my water in each day though. I'll try and cut back but I don't think I can quit! It's my only source of caffeine.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Kashi Protein bars for a snack instead of regular granola bars.
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    Morning snack:

After work out I ate 1/2 banana and 1 cup 2% Milk. I need to buy skim. I keep 2% for my 15 month old.

Workout: only 35 minutes today... I hope to get more as the day goes along. That's all I had in me at the gym this morning ! My goal is 60 minutes today!
  • Zabarilla
    Zabarilla Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I've already cut out fast food. Soda is easy for me to ignore since finding out I'm allergic to red dye and its a plus that I love water. My biggest downfall is emotional eating. Over all this sounds like a great way to ease into a healthier way of life.
  • ElaineDianne70
    Options
    I see alot of posts about SODA (diet or otherwise) being people's nemesis as far as a healthy diet. I don't drink it and I won't.
    Here's why:

http://steve-edwards.blogspot.com/2006/04/worst-food-on-planet.html

Here are some of the highlights:
    We use the term "empty calories" for foods, like soda, that have no place in a nutritious diet. I feel this term is misleading. The calories in soda are far from empty. Most of them come from sugar. In the USA, it's nearly always high-fructose corn syrup, the cheapest, most processed sugar on the market. Other ingredients include caffeine, various phosphates and acids, and artificial colorings.

Beyond the simple sugar rush, these acids and phosphates alter your body's pH levels and inhibit absorption of other nutrients. Then there are the effects of certain artificial coloring agents. For example, yellow #5, commonly used in soft drinks, has been linked to attention deficit disorder, hives, asthma, and other allergic reactions in some children.

Then there is the nutrient trade-off to consider. A person who drinks a Big Gulp per day must go to great lengths to maintain a balanced diet. Otherwise they will almost certainly be deficient in numerous vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, and essential fatty or amino acids—none of which are found in soda. For this reason, soda is often linked to type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, dental erosion, and a higher risk of kidney stones and heart disease. And that's just a start.

Diet sodas and juicesIn an attempt to become thought of as healthier, soda companies have diversified into non-carbonated beverages and diet sodas. While these are an improvement in some ways, they are hardly a solution to the problem. Despite their no-calorie status, diet sodas have been linked to assorted illnesses. There is no good science on this yet but my own anecdotal evidence is, so far, 100% accurate.

I've yet to have a client not lose weight by kicking diet soda. Granted, all of my clients drank an excessive amount, but regardless, there is little doubt that the pH balance of diet sodas hinders the body's ability to absorb nutrients. One client, a female athlete, lost 15 pounds by making no other dietary change but eliminating diet soda. Fifteen pounds and zero calories—more weird science.

The bottom line to all this is that, for best results, your body would be happier if you cut most of the calories out of your liquids and cut out soft drinks—caloric or not—altogether.