New Couch to 5k (C25K) thread - anyone out there in week 1?

Options
HMKan
HMKan Posts: 472 Member
Hey everyone, I completed day 3 of week 1 of c25k this morning. I know there was a thread going for people who had started 9 weeks ago and are just finishing it up now. I wondered if anyone was interested in a new thread if they're just starting out like me. I've completed the 3 days of the first week, but I think I'll repeat day 3 on Saturday (I'm doing it every other day, rather than 3 days a week). Is anyone else doing this? Do you have any tips? I've been doing it on a treadmill because I am too self-conscious to run outside (plus it's cold!).

Replies

• nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Dumb question :P but what is this program exactly??
  • BriannaSkye
    Options
    Im going to start on Saturday :)
  • Raihaanah
    Raihaanah Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i just started today, so im on week one, dont have tips but hopefully u'll have some 4 me, im also doing it on the treadmill for the same reason mention:), i will tell u one thing i was exhausted@12:30m, i just continued walking at3.5mph and ran for 1min after
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about starting this. Where did you get your training plan?
  • BriannaSkye
    Options
    The couch to 5k is a program for those that are not runners/joggers it starts with interval training to get you up to running a 5K
  • BriannaSkye
    Options
    I found this site which has a plan/music to go with it

http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/
  • nelsaphine
    Options
    The couch to 5k is a program for those that are not runners/joggers it starts with interval training to get you up to running a 5K

So how do you start? Is there a particular plan to follow?
  • nelsaphine
    Options
    I found this site which has a plan/music to go with it

http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/

Got it...thank you! I'll read and hopefully I can do this! I'm not a runner for sure :P
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy doing this program, then my son lost my larger Ipod, now I have the Shuffle and it doesn't hold podcasts, very sad, very sad.
  • HMKan
    Options

NOT a dumb question. I should've put that in the first post.

It's a running plan designed for people who don't run but want to become runners (i.e. just be able to last 30 minutes running). You basically alternate walking and running. Googling C25K is the quickest way to find a more detailed explanation. Here's the best I think http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There's also an iPod/iPhone app called C25K which cost $2.99 but I LOVE it. I can add my own playlists to the app and it'll play my music but give me an audible cue as to when to walk and when to run and it tells me when I'm halfway through and whatnot.
  • sneakers71
    Options
    I'm in! I am starting on sunday - running on March 13th. friend me and we can keep in touch!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I started C25K on 12/26. I ended up hurting my knee (wasn't C25K, but the years of excess weight). Now I'm in PT. Can't wait to get some more weight off and then I'm doing it again.
  • HMKan
    Options
    Ok, lets start this together. It won't matter that we're all on the same day or week. This thread can be something of a journal for each of us to tell our experiences, give tips to each other and give support to each other.

Frankly, I've been getting through the workouts ok (week 1 being 5 min brisk walk, then alternate 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking, followed by a brisk walk cooldown for a total of 31 minutes) but I'm generally walking at 3-3.3 mph and doing the running part at 5.0. Is that too slow?

If you're interested in being held accountable, why don't you log the following info:

1. Week #
    2. Day #
    3. Walking Pace (if you know from the treadmill)
    4. Running Pace (if you know from the treadmill)
    5. hmm. what else?
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I started week 1 this week!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    1. Week # 1
    2. Day # 3
    3. Walking Pace (if you know from the treadmill) 3.5
    4. Running Pace (if you know from the treadmill) 4.8, tried 5 and couldn't breathe...
    5. hmm. what else?
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have the iPhone app. I started last fall, but due to a shoulder injury had to stop. Now that it is healed, my motivation is not quite there. But I have to start it next week. So monday the 24th will be my week 1. I do it on the treadmill.
  • nelsaphine
    Options

NOT a dumb question. I should've put that in the first post.

It's a running plan designed for people who don't run but want to become runners (i.e. just be able to last 30 minutes running). You basically alternate walking and running. Googling C25K is the quickest way to find a more detailed explanation. Here's the best I think http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There's also an iPod/iPhone app called C25K which cost $2.99 but I LOVE it. I can add my own playlists to the app and it'll play my music but give me an audible cue as to when to walk and when to run and it tells me when I'm halfway through and whatnot.

Thank you for the info! I'll check this one out too :)
  • AGoodExample
    Options
    Im doing Week 3 Day 3 tomorrow. I have a couple friends doing it with me and everytime we finish our runs we text eachother to tell eachother we finished, that way we are held accountable =) Im signed up to run my first 5k on March 13th. Im soo excited!!!

I run at a 6 on the tredmill and walk at 3.7.
  • HMKan
    Options
    Im doing Week 3 Day 3 tomorrow. I have a couple friends doing it with me and everytime we finish our runs we text eachother to tell eachother we finished, that way we are held accountable =) Im signed up to run my first 5k on March 13th. Im soo excited!!!

I run at a 6 on the tredmill and walk at 3.7.

That's awesome. You've got great support around you and dang, you run fast! I'll get there too at some point :)