New Couch to 5k (C25K) thread - anyone out there in week 1?

Options

Replies

• rosita76
    Options
    I actually download the Couch to 5k info today and also printed out a template running log to keep myself on track. I started an informal intro today. I plan on starting Week 1 tomorrow. So I am definitely game!! I could use all the support I can get!
  • rosita76
    Options
    bump
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    This should prove how much of a non-runner I am.

So shin splints...is that when your shins feel like they're being electrocuted and get all stiff (hence the splints). I've had that happen to me a couple of times, but not since this program (probably b/c of the treadmill settings).

My question is, how do you treat those...or even prevent them? Does it have to do with water intake like a normal cramp? Is it a cramp? I've never really understood them despite always hearing about them.

Here is a great link to info about shin splints: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

Mine definitely arose from running on hard surfaces (treadmill and outside pavement). When I run again on Friday I am going to try doing it in the grass instead of on the blacktop. Ready for payday. I could use some good running shoes.

Welcome to all of the new people to our little group! Happy running to all of you (new and old)!!!
  • zydratethief
    Options
    Stats :

W2D2 (Repeated)
    Walk pace : 18 minute mile
    Run Pace 9:50 minutes a mile.
    Total distance : 1.9 miles = 3.05 km (sounds way more impressive in KM!)

I repeated Day two of Week two today!

When i got home, i was so not tired, and was thinking "God, i have to burn off this excess energy", and so even though i have been running for two days in a row, i went out a third time.

And boy was it easy!

When the first run came up, i was like BRING IT and when the voice (the podcast voice, not the one in my head, lol) told me to stop running and start walking, i was like "IS THAT ALL YA GOT?"

hehe... But i spoke too soon - i got the beginnings of a side stitch, but i worked through it and it disappeared like magic!

All in all, it was a breeze! I mean when i started the program, i was helluva frightened by the thought of it, but now i cant wait for it!

I wanna see if i can do 4 km today!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's great to see so many keen C25K'ers!
    I had today off, will do week 1,day 3(again) tomorrow.
    Instead of running today I went for a 40 min walk on the beach - it's our Australia Day holiday here so I took the chance for a beach walk and swim before a BBQ with friends (where I ate slightly too much, but only by a little!)
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone.

Ruby, you're killing me with your good weather and living in australia. I'm SO JEALOUS. But then again, the thought of being in a swimsuit right now is more horrifying than anything I can think of.

I've got a day off from running today, so I think I'll knock out 45 min on the elliptical instead. Hoping I can survive W2D3 tomorrow :)
    Who knows? Maybe we'll have a snow day if the fed govt closes then I'll have all day to rest after my run. Fingers crossed!
  • vanzeem
    vanzeem Posts: 107
    Options
    iarookie:

Those are the ones i downloaded!! I kept right clicking to download the target and eventually it saved it in mp3 format. I wonder if i'd be able to email those to you??
  • cohollywood
    Options
    Alright, so my husband got home late last night, so I had to do a home workout yesterday, but I went to the gym first thing this morning and started W1D1.

I used this podcast http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/week-1-c25k/ which I really enjoyed. Good music. Downloaded easy onto my Sony Walkman.

Walked: 3.5 - 3.8
    Ran: 5.8
    Distance: 2.0 miles exactly
    1.5 incline

It was rough. I stopped the treadmill and the music twice to take a breather. It was a quick 15 second thing each time. I didn't want to, but I knew the walk wouldn't be enough to cool me down. I'm hoping W1D2 I can do the whole thing without stopping...

I biked at a slow pace for 15 minutes afterwards as well just because the pet store next door wasn't open yet. :)
  • HMKan
    Options
    POLL: Is it better to push yourself to run/walk faster during these drills (which might result in needing a breather) or to keep a slower pace?

I'm completely torn. I push myself to get to higher speeds on each day of the week, then revert back to lower for the first day of the next week, then move higher as I go through the week.

Does it even matter at this point since we're not doing any long runs which require more stamina?
  • sdhorne
    sdhorne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I started C25K on Monday.

Looking forward to being able to do a 5K in April.

Week 1 Day 1
    Distance: 1.9 Mi
  • jensyth
    jensyth Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Update and Poll Response:

I just completed Week 2 Day 2 yesterday and after my post about Week 2 Day 1, I decided to try increasing my Run speed from 5.0 to 5.5. The first 2 sets were a little rough but I think that was maybe just a 'warm-up' issue cause the remaining sets were not a problem. But, I am also a little torn as well since on the C25K site, the author even states that you should avoid pushing yourself if it seems 'easy' since it will get harder later. What I'm planning on doing is keep at the 5.5 speed but if I start feeling like I just can't keep up and want to 'quit' before completing the full set, I will decrease the speed instead of actually quitting.

Separate question - Should I be keeping the weeks as actual weeks? Up till now, I've been only working out 3 days a week so they match up. But I am going to be increasing that to 4 times a week and I feel the urge to just keep incrementing my point in the program so that the 'weeks' are really just increments of 3 workouts. Does anyone know if this would actually make the program harder to do, or would I still be improving the same (assuming I don't go nuts and try to do 6 workouts a week and progress at twice the normal rate).
  • HMKan
    Options
    Jen, I do 4 runs per week but I do keep the stucture of the weeks in tact. I just do a repeat day for my fourth day and try it at a quicker pace so that I'm extra ready for the coming week. I think a big part of why this program is a success is because it has built in rest days (on which I don't rest, but I don't run) so that your muscles can heal themselves before you move on. Plus it helps you avoid burnout. I work out 7 days a week. But I wouldn't recommend doing the program more than 4 days per week. That's just my opinion.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Just finishing up phys therapy for a hip/back issue, so I just started C25K this week. Two days down. Walking 4.0, running 6.2. And not because I'm a good runner (yet) but am in pretty good condition already from spin classes and kickboxing classes for the past year. I also jumped ahead and started on week 4 since i'm not really starting 'at the couch'. I had never run more than 15 min before, so was happy I made it 30 min each time. Planning on Day 3 on Fri.
  • vanzeem
    vanzeem Posts: 107
    Options
    week 3 day 2 DONE!!!
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I was wondering if you any of you use bluetooth headphones? I was thinking about getting one and was hoping someone had recommendations :) I run with my dog and sometimes between the leash and the cord on my headphones, it's not so much fun. I was also going to get an armband for my phone (I use it for music/GPS/C25K timer). Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
  • jacintaduffy
    Options
    I'm starting on Saturday. I wish the light nights would hurry up, it's too dark on a night still to run on the country roads where i live.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    OK week one is FINISHED! Just did W1D3 for the second time, so now I'm ready to move on to week 2 next week.

Jen, I'd agree, probably better to keep some rest (or alternative excercise) days in there and go with the program week by week. Otherwise you might just burn out half way through - but maybe that's just me :)

HM, sorry to keep on about the nice weather, I'll stop now. I'm jealous that you get to play in the snow, it never snows here!

OK, off to work, eating healthy today after a not so good day yesterday.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Oh I love you guys!

I just love reading what everybody is up to. I don't run again until Friday (I run on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays) but I like checking in to see how everyone is doing.

As an answer to the POLL question, I think that it is best to go at your own pace and not strain yourself. In my case, I want to be able to build up my endurance. Once my endurance is good enough to last through a straight 30 minutes of jogging/running, then I can work on speeding up. Truth me told, I don't even know how fast I am going and how far I am going. I don't jog on a measured surface (like a school track) and I don't use a treadmill so I don't know the speed/distance, also my HRM doesn't have a pedometer to keep track of approximate distance/pace. Oh well for me I guess. I just know that I walk as fast as I can and jog as fast as I can comfortably (still dealing with the shin splints). Honestly I think it is better to go at your own pace for the full amount of time (no matter how fast or slow it is), than to have to stop over and over or not finish at all (I'm not knocking taking a break, we all have to do it sometime).

@Jensyth - I think it is probably better to do the 3 (maybe 4) runs a week. That way your muscles can rest. Granted I work out 6-7 days a week, but I only run three of those days (and I still go home and do my Insanity workout after that).

Keep up the great work everybody!!!!
  • shanners85
    shanners85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Week 1, Day 1 completed today! I am pumped for my next run!
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    Just tried- week 3 day 1. I really think this may kill me. Will I ever be able to run without getting winded. I mean my legs get kindof tired but the problem is I cannot breathe. They say keep it at a light jog so you can still talk to someone... I can barely stay upright on those longer runs. Will that work itself out?