New Couch to 5k (C25K) thread - anyone out there in week 1?

Options

Replies

• HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Here goes...

Rachel, great burn! You're doing C25k 5 times per weeek? Are you repeating days within the week or are you moving on to the next week after 3 runs? Make sure you leave time for your body to rest. Sounds like you've got a great workout plan!

DM, I'm sorry to hear your daughters been sick. Is she doing better now? Thanks for taking the time to post and encourage others when you've been spending your time with a sick kid in the ER. That's very considerate of you :)

Mommy, you're really making progress with your runs (and your inclines). Awesome job!

Better, welcome.

Povester, Good job on week 1. I have been considering slowing my pace down so that I can be comfortable running longer distances so I'll be ready for the long runs too. Once I CAN run, then I'll work on my pace. Let me know how that works for you.

Newmeat, the HRM stuff does make sense. Mine doesn't have an "own rate." I tried my C25K with my HRM last night and I'm obviously way over my Fat Burning Zone (Zone 2) but I think with running that's expected. Congrats on the new shoes. What kind did you decide to get?

Kenda, awesome burn! Good job. Thanks for the tip about the calories. I think I've determined not to use my HRM to determine how many calories I've burned. The first night, I was on the eliptical. That machine does let me enter my age and my weight. My husband claims that our elliptical records burned calories lower than actual (he based it on the machines he used to use at the gym before we got this one). But after 30 minutes, and the machine saying I burned 300 calories, my HRM said 529 and it seemed high. I went with it htough (b/c I was using a high difficulty level). Well, last night, I did my C25K with the HRM. I also keep Nike+ running in the background on my ipod while on these runs. My treadmill doesn't allow me to enter weight or age, so i guess it's based on a 150 pound person (I'm not one of those people). After 30 minutes of doing W2D3, the treadmill said I burned 250. Nike + said I burned 323 and my HRM said I burned over 600. Just seemed waaaay too high. I went with Nike+'s numbers and I think I will from now on. I'll just my HRM to keep my target heart rate zone but not to track calories. Maybe I'll look into a body bugg. Anyone use those?
  • HMKan
    Options
    Patrica you snuck in while I was typing so I didn't see yours. It sounds like you're making a lot of progress with your runs. Great job! Keep it up!
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Patrica you snuck in while I was typing so I didn't see yours. It sounds like you're making a lot of progress with your runs. Great job! Keep it up!

Thank you! :]
  • aloa318
    aloa318 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did D2W2 last night and it was a lot easier to do the 2nd day. I plan on actually doing Week 2 for 2 weeks instead of just one because I wasn't able to get in my full 3 days this week. I am going to work on increasing my speed a little in that time period because right now I'm walking at 3.5 mph & running at 4.2 mph.
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    I just finished Week 3! Woohoo!! I'm very happy I made it this far. LOL. I'm averaging about 13-14 min/mil. My avg speed is about 4.5 mi/hi.

The 90 sec run has become easy. The 3 minute run, I'm still struggling for the last 30 seconds or so - just need to push myself. I was surprised that I haven't had to stop mid-run, which is awesome! I start week 4 on Sunday.

Happy running!

PatricaC! Good for you BUT Im so jealous! Im a mass of sore muscles after W3 D2. I know I have to back up and do week 2 again- but the competive side of me now wants to keep up with you!! =) look out lady Im coming after you =)
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    hey everybody... i am kinda following this program i am up to running between 2-2.5 miles up to four times a week.... hoping to do a 5k in april in Charlotte NC.... scared out of my mind.
    is this the right thread rookie.
  • iarookie
    Options
    hey everybody... i am kinda following this program i am up to running between 2-2.5 miles up to four times a week.... hoping to do a 5k in april in Charlotte NC.... scared out of my mind.

YES!!!
  • iarookie
    Options
    Okay So Ive read where everyone is on the C25K program W3d1- but what are we doing on the "off" days?? Bike? Cross train? Ski? Swim?
  • lindzjames1
    Options
    I'm currently doing C25k. I just finished Week 4 Day 3 today. So far, I absolutely love it! I've never been a runner/jogger. This program is great because there is a specific routine to follow each time you do it. When my c25k time is up for the day, I finish it off with an extra 15 minutes of incline walking for a little extra burn. Good luck to everyone doing this! It's great to see others enjoying as much as I am.
  • patricac
    Options
    Okay So Ive read where everyone is on the C25K program W3d1- but what are we doing on the "off" days?? Bike? Cross train? Ski? Swim?

I usually run outside for my C25K training 3x's a week. I also go to the gym 5x's a week. I do two classes of Zumba, 1 Yoga, and two strength training classes.
  • patricac
    Options
    I just finished Week 3! Woohoo!! I'm very happy I made it this far. LOL. I'm averaging about 13-14 min/mil. My avg speed is about 4.5 mi/hi.

The 90 sec run has become easy. The 3 minute run, I'm still struggling for the last 30 seconds or so - just need to push myself. I was surprised that I haven't had to stop mid-run, which is awesome! I start week 4 on Sunday.

Happy running!

PatricaC! Good for you BUT Im so jealous! Im a mass of sore muscles after W3 D2. I know I have to back up and do week 2 again- but the competive side of me now wants to keep up with you!! =) look out lady Im coming after you =)

LOL, I'm so slow, I'm sure you're going to catch me pretty easily. Haha :laugh: I have some muscle soreness also, I found that Yoga helps with it a bit. I also do stretching after my runs at home to help with it. I was tempted to repeat Week 3 also, but have decided to move to Week 4 and see how it goes!
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Bad news. Just as I got started with this program, my physical therapist told me to stop running until we get something else on this aging body fixed. Hopefully I can pick back up where I left off in a few weeks. At least I can still do spinning, weights. swim, etc to stay in shape in the meantime
  • HMKan
    Options

Actually, everyone is on different days/weeks of this program. Some people repeat weeks, others don't.

On the off days, I mainly do the elliptical and a bit later I might do pilates instead on the off days.

What about you?
  • HMKan
    Options
    Bad news. Just as I got started with this program, my physical therapist told me to stop running until we get something else on this aging body fixed. Hopefully I can pick back up where I left off in a few weeks. At least I can still do spinning, weights. swim, etc to stay in shape in the meantime

Sorry to hear this. Listen to your PT and we'll be here when you're able to begin again (we're also here in the meantime if you need us)
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    that's funny that's what i do.
  • mandavann
    mandavann Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Week 2 Day 3. I've been alternating this program and hiking 2X a week for endurance. My first 5K is 3 weeks from tomorrow. Eeek!!!
  • aalexander0607
    aalexander0607 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I completed W4D1 yesterday and I was surprised at my endurance! However, I have slowed my pace a bit just to make sure I can complete the workout.

Also, after the last jog, I got my first post-run high! I was on cloud nine, it was an amazing feeling!

Good luck to everyone! I'm so glad to have such a big group of people to look to for support!
  • cohollywood
    Options
    W1D2 today. I decided to slow my pace after reading some hints that told me I need to be able to talk through my runs - and I definitely wasn't able to do that D1. Today went MUCH MUCH better and I can actually see myself finishing this program now. Lol.

Walk: 3.6 (cool down walk at 4.0)
    Run: 5.0
    Distance: 2 miles

I walked through the introduction to the program on the podcast though, and walked an extra 12 seconds at the end to get to 2 miles.

Shins hurt a little bit, but I feel really good right now!
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options

Hey! I live in Charlotte....nice to "see" someone from my neck of the woods!
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am starting my running program again, but I am building strength first. I like using running mates 5k program, only becasue the music and cues in the podcast. Its cold where I live and by the time I get home its dark so right now I'm only running on Sat. but I'll definitely check in. Oh and I did run it last year to get me started running. I do alot of races and distances now. My last race was a 5k during Thanksgiving. This May I'm doing my second half marathon.