New Couch to 5k (C25K) thread - anyone out there in week 1?

Options

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Okay - so I'm SUPER excited, so I just had to share...

We're leaving for a cruise on Saturday, and I had all my stuff packed, but I dug it all out again this afternoon (yes, I have better things to do with my time...lol) and now I'm going back and foth over different outfits that I've pulled out of storage because they fit and they look good!! I even pulled out a s-e-x-y red dress my husband has never seen on me for one of our elegant nights and it fits great! I'm SO excited to feel CUTE in my clothes again!

I even walked around the house in a bikini for a short period of time...lol

Nice, I love going shopping in my own closet, So excited for you!!! Rock that bikini and enjoy your cruise!!!
  • reese66
    Options
    I did it, I did it, I did it!!! Week three day one, made it through the first 3 minute run with no issue, the last one was a little rougher but I got through and added two 60 second runs at a 1 incline. :tongue:
  • LisaLisaBoBisa
    Options
    Just got done with Week 3, Day 2 . . . I think I can do this! :-)
  • LisaLisaBoBisa
    Options
    I did it, I did it, I did it!!! Week three day one, made it through the first 3 minute run with no issue, the last one was a little rougher but I got through and added two 60 second runs at a 1 incline. :tongue:

Yay for you! I agree the 1st one wasn't so bad but I had to pause during the walking segments as I started to tire. . . . I think it's getting easier though.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Dumb question :P but what is this program exactly??

NOT a dumb question. I should've put that in the first post.

It's a running plan designed for people who don't run but want to become runners (i.e. just be able to last 30 minutes running). You basically alternate walking and running. Googling C25K is the quickest way to find a more detailed explanation. Here's the best I think http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There's also an iPod/iPhone app called C25K which cost $2.99 but I LOVE it. I can add my own playlists to the app and it'll play my music but give me an audible cue as to when to walk and when to run and it tells me when I'm halfway through and whatnot.

do apps work on the new touch screen nano?
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I don't think any apps work on the Nano? It's a shame because I'd love to have something that small to run with but I really like my apps.

I got to seven minutes before I aborted last night - I really wanted to do the final run but my calves were seizing up. They're actually okay today (one shin feels a bit iffy though - noooo!) so here's hoping I'll manage the whole thing, next time :)

I've got my mum started on C25K too now, muahahaha.
  • Kai85
    Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It's so motivating to see others ahead of me!!! You're all doing so well. Makes me think yep I can do it.. Just finished w3d3 I ended up reducing my last running speed to 8.5km/hr(about 5.28miles). Felt heaps better. Shin splints still being a bit of a pain but not overly terrible. Also did 20 minutes on the eliptical to finish the workout. I don't know how you guys manage to do 90 minutes on the eliptical. I seriously think it is my own personal torture device.

Rubybelle - I'm from Aus too...just over the otherside in QLD (central qld so should miss out on Yasi)... How are you coping with the heat???? It's been a tad ridiculous over here atm!

Keep up the good work everyone!
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Here goes...

Kenda and Rookie - sometimes redoing the weeks is best. I am in week 3 and I don't think it's very likely I'll move on to week 4 after one more run. I was also thinking about maybe combining the 2 weeks (I've done days 1 and 2 of W3, maybe I'll do D1W4 Thursday and then go back to W3D3 Saturday and sprinkle the two together). Have you guys tried that at all?

Hollywood - great job getting up when you don't want to, that was me this morning. And have so much fun on your cruise. Your husband has no idea what he's in for when he sees you in that dress!

Ruby - Great progress! You're gonna be dominating Week 3 before you know it!

Antoni - you ARE a rockstar. Awesome work! Be safe in the bad weather you're probably already getting!

CM - Awesome job. Man, I wish I were addicted to running already. Though maybe I'm halfway there, I'm kind of addicted to working out (if not running).

Reese - you TOTALLY have this. You're doing awesome. I love seeing the updates in my newsfeed when you've done your runs, you're really doing very well!! It's very satisfying isn't it?

Lisa - you definitely can do this! I bet you already knew that though :)

They have a Nano with a touch screen now? That's awesome. I imagine if it is built similar to an iTouch, they'll have apps for it soon, otherwise what's the point?

Jem - just be careful. You really don't want to injure yourself. Way to listen to your body. I also love that you've gotten your mom into it and I LOVE the evil laugh. Spoken like a true veteran!

Kai - it looks like you're ahead of a lot of us, You're a great inspiration for us. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Well, as for me. I got up (I really debated whether to get out of bed) this morning to run W3D2 and I fell down my hardwood stairs. Needless to say I have a big old bruise on my butt, but fortunately I don't really use my butt to run on the treadmill so it didn't stop me. I have been trying to reach the 2.0 mile mark on these runs and haven't yet. Today I picked up my pace a little (3.6 warmup/cooldown, 5.0 runs (all of them this time) and 3.0-3.3 walks (I got pretty winded)). I was still only at 1.86 or so miles. I'll get there. I burned 324 calories and did 15.41 minute miles. As I was saying above, I don't know that I'll move on to week 4, or I might combine weeks 3 and 4 and just extend the period of time. Has anyone tried combining weeks and maybe alternating some from one week and some from another and going back and forth?
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first 5k in July! I really need the Couch to 5k program... so here I am. Now I just need to figure out how to train without an easily accessable treadmill and when it is colder outside. Thanks for inviting me HMKan.
  • HMKan
    Options
    Welcome Heather!

One of the other things we talked about on here is using this program toward elliptical or bike. You can even try jogging in place or using the wii fit or ea active for it.
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I completed Week 4, Day 2 this morning. I started using Runkeeper (free app on Android) to do my runs outside per suggestion from one of my MFP friends. With Runkeeper you can program the C25K intervals in so it will prompt you. Using it just once today, I really like it! On the Runkeeper website, it'll even give you your avg pace per interval, which I found interesting. I use it in conjunction with Pandora for music.

Week 4 is getting easier... surprisingly! After W4D1, I was considering repeating the week, but I think I may be OK. I'm slow, but that's OK with me. I'd rather run the entire 5 minutes, than have to stop because I was trying to go too fast. My avg pace/mile was 14:33. My avg speed/hour was 4.12. I covered 2.23 miles. Finishing Week 4 on Friday morning. I really started focusing on my form/breathing, since I'm prone to knee injuries. That helped, my knee isn't hurting today. Also, taking it a little slower helped with my breathing patterns. I wasn't struggling - which is nice :)
  • reese66
    Options
    Reese - you TOTALLY have this. You're doing awesome. I love seeing the updates in my newsfeed when you've done your runs, you're really doing very well!! It's very satisfying isn't it?

Well, as for me. I got up (I really debated whether to get out of bed) this morning to run W3D2 and I fell down my hardwood stairs. Needless to say I have a big old bruise on my butt, but fortunately I don't really use my butt to run on the treadmill so it didn't stop me. I have been trying to reach the 2.0 mile mark on these runs and haven't yet. Today I picked up my pace a little (3.6 warmup/cooldown, 5.0 runs (all of them this time) and 3.0-3.3 walks (I got pretty winded)). I was still only at 1.86 or so miles. I'll get there. I burned 324 calories and did 15.41 minute miles. As I was saying above, I don't know that I'll move on to week 4, or I might combine weeks 3 and 4 and just extend the period of time. Has anyone tried combining weeks and maybe alternating some from one week and some from another and going back and forth?
    [/quote]

When I finish the workout I am so excited that I just want to keep going but I know my body needs a break after some point. Not thinking I will be a happy running this week or maybe the next but I can see me getting there :). My daughter want's me to sign up for a 10k in April, told her will be just happy to get to the 5k mark. Thinking maybe if she wants to try it sometime in the fall I am totally in...

I think its a good idea to mix the two weeks into one, finish week three and then combine the two for the week after.
  • HMKan
    Options

I think its a good idea to mix the two weeks into one, finish week three and then combine the two for the week after.

so maybe a whole week 3, then a weeks 3&4 blend, then a whole week 4. That might be my current plan depending on how well I do when I try week 4 for the first time. I like the idea because mentally, I know I'll have a "break" going back to week 3 for a run, and maybe it'll help me boost my endurance to when I move on to the full week of 5 minute runs. 3 minutes wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but even after 2 of the 3 runs, I don't feel like I could do 5 minutes without keeling over!
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Hooray!!! I get to run again today! I'll be doing Week 3, Day 1 in about 45 minutes. I got behind in running because of my whole "injury" but I have taken several days off, got new shoes, and have a compression wrap so I should be pretty good.

We'll see how today goes. I'll post later to let you know. It is too cold and rainy to run outside (plus I don't want to get my new shoes muddy) so I am going to the gym and try using the treadmill. wish me luck!
  • cohollywood
    Options
    I'm at work today (boo) but I've been craving going to the gym and running all afternoon. I can't get it out of my system. I won't run today - I'll probably just do a workout video or two when I get home tonight - but I'm looking forward to hitting the treadmill tomorrow!

Keep up the good work everyone!! I can't wait till the weather warms up and I can try running outside!
  • BenjysDad
    Options
    I realise it's not really my business but I just wanted to share something having seen your thread when looking for exercise/nutrition posts.

Reading some of the posts on here I just wanted to say keep going - keep pushing your level that little bit - find your comfort zone and then give it another 5%. Just in bits - go a little bit further or faster for a little bit longer - and I'm talking minutes, not miles and miles or you'll end up injured or totally spent.

In July last year I weighed 17.5 stone (245lbs in your money !!) - I'm a 34 year old bloke and frankly 6 years of happy marriage had turned me into a bit of a lump. Crunch time was when one of our little boys friends asked who his dad was and he said "the fat one in the glasses". Not amused. Anyway, I started running - 2 miles and it half killed me !! I took some advice from a running friend and started in bite size chunks - running half a mile then walking half a mile and so on. What I didn't know, until my race number came through the door, was that my running "friend" had entered me in a 10k run in September - and told all my mates at work !!

Long story short - I managed the first 10k race, and the next one and the next one. Now I'm training for a half marathon in May and I have three 10k races in preparation. When I crossed the line after my first 10k race I was nearly in tears because I couldn't believe I'd actually done it - now I'm running over 12k three times a week as part of my training !!!

The point of all this is that if you respect your body's ability to recover, give yourself staged, achievable goals and don't over-reach yourself you'll wake up one morning and realise that it's not about losing weight any more - it's about the running . . .
  • HMKan
    Options
    I realise it's not really my business but I just wanted to share something having seen your thread when looking for exercise/nutrition posts.

Reading some of the posts on here I just wanted to say keep going - keep pushing your level that little bit - find your comfort zone and then give it another 5%. Just in bits - go a little bit further or faster for a little bit longer - and I'm talking minutes, not miles and miles or you'll end up injured or totally spent.

In July last year I weighed 17.5 stone (245lbs in your money !!) - I'm a 34 year old bloke and frankly 6 years of happy marriage had turned me into a bit of a lump. Crunch time was when one of our little boys friends asked who his dad was and he said "the fat one in the glasses". Not amused. Anyway, I started running - 2 miles and it half killed me !! I took some advice from a running friend and started in bite size chunks - running half a mile then walking half a mile and so on. What I didn't know, until my race number came through the door, was that my running "friend" had entered me in a 10k run in September - and told all my mates at work !!

Long story short - I managed the first 10k race, and the next one and the next one. Now I'm training for a half marathon in May and I have three 10k races in preparation. When I crossed the line after my first 10k race I was nearly in tears because I couldn't believe I'd actually done it - now I'm running over 12k three times a week as part of my training !!!

The point of all this is that if you respect your body's ability to recover, give yourself staged, achievable goals and don't over-reach yourself you'll wake up one morning and realise that it's not about losing weight any more - it's about the running . . .

I love your 'accent' lol

Thanks for the tip. What an inspiration!
  • mommyof5kids
    Options
    I completed Day 2 of Week 3 tonight....

*running speed was 5.0
    *walking speed was 3.7

Keep up the great job everyone!
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Thank you for your post and for sharing your story! That's very motivating! :)
  • reese66
    Options

Thanks for sharing!!!