New Couch to 5k (C25K) thread - anyone out there in week 1?

Options

Replies

• iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    I just love this song!

You don't have to feel like a waste of space
    You're original, cannot be replaced
    If you only knew what the future holds
    After a hurricane, comes a rainbow

Maybe the reason why all the doors are closed
    So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road
    Like a lightning bolt, your heart will glow
    And when it's time you know

You just gotta ignite the light, and let it shine
    Just own the night like the Fourth of July

'Cause baby, you're a firework
    Come on, show 'em what you're worth
    Make 'em go "oh, oh, oh!"
    As you shoot across the sky-y-y

Baby, you're a firework
    Come on, let your colors burst
    Make 'em go "oh, oh, oh!"
    You're gonna leave 'em falling down oh oh

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/k/katy_perry/#share
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    After a longer-than-expected hiatus, I will be jogging my Week 3 Day 3 today -- the plague hit my house. I hope it treats me nice today. I couldn't have asked for a nicer day to run. It looks like it's about 65 degrees here right now - bright blue sky, not a cloud in the sky :glasses: . Looking forward to my jog this lunchtime. My Achilles on my left leg is bothering me a bit, so I'm going to schedule an appointment with my doc. I've been stretching the heck outta it. It just feels tight; doesn't hurt, tho. BTW, I located muscles on my calves yesterday. I named them Skeeter and Scooter :wink:
    ~melanie
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    After a longer-than-expected hiatus, I will be jogging my Week 3 Day 3 today -- the plague hit my house. I hope it treats me nice today. I couldn't have asked for a nicer day to run. It looks like it's about 65 degrees here right now - bright blue sky, not a cloud in the sky :glasses: . Looking forward to my jog this lunchtime. My Achilles on my left leg is bothering me a bit, so I'm going to schedule an appointment with my doc. I've been stretching the heck outta it. It just feels tight; doesn't hurt, tho. BTW, I located muscles on my calves yesterday. I named them Skeeter and Scooter :wink:
    ~melanie

awesome! I love naming body parts. I should do that too!
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    So starting W1D1 tonight. Kind of scared. Going to my friends gym. What if I fall off the treadmill? I've never actually jogged on one before. I've run (briefly) or walked...nothing in the middle.
  • HMKan
    Options
    So starting W1D1 tonight. Kind of scared. Going to my friends gym. What if I fall off the treadmill? I've never actually jogged on one before. I've run (briefly) or walked...nothing in the middle.

Heather you GOT this. It's really not that big of a deal and you will pick it up really easily. My tip for jogging on a treadmill is to look down (at the display) in front of you or look straight ahead. When i look side to side or try to watch tv that is not directly in front of me, I tend to weave side to side on the treadmill and I hit the sides of it and trip up.

But know this, you can't do worse than me. I've fallen onto my knees on a treadmill set too high for me (I was a kid horsing around on machines I should't have been playing on), tried to "run" on my knees on it, before I got thrown off and into a wall. Boy did I get in trouble when my parents found out!
  • HeatherShrinking
    Options
    lol! Great story. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Annerea
    Annerea Posts: 104
    Options
    I DID IT!!! W4D1 done!! I'm going to try it twice more before moving on to Week 5.

Just to demonstrate quite how wrecked I was, I came out of the gym into gale force winds and horizontal rain. My car was at the far end of the car park, and the thought of running to it nearly made me cry!!

But I did it!!!!
  • HMKan
    Options
    Great job Anne! Awesome work!
  • MermaidMamma
    MermaidMamma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! To those who think they've "failed", there isn't fail unless you quit. If you have a bad run, try again. If you don't feel confident in your week, do another day, or just re-do it! There is no rule that says you can't re-do a week or a day. Do what feels good to you!!

I ran today, w4d3. I forgot to eat breakfast (or rather, drink it. I'm not a breakfast person, so to get something in me, I have a slim fast shake) ANYWAY, I got to the 5 min cooldown and decided it was TIME TO LAY DOWN NOW! So I didn't do the cool down, but I got through the runs. This week was the hardest for me. D1, I ran too close to eating and got a gut cramp and had to give myself a minute in the middle of the last 5 min run. D2 was great, but I strained my calves because I ran two consecutive days. D3, well, no breakfast, so dizzy. I have a really busy end-of-week but if I can fit in another run for w4d4 then I will before starting w5.

I usually do Zumba on Tuesdays, but it was cancelled due to weather. Bummer.

Anyone in Michigan? I could use a running buddy when it's warm out, and I need to train for the 5k in April :)
  • MermaidMamma
    MermaidMamma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    darn, forgot

Ran at 4.8
    Walked at 2.5-3 (I tend to walk slower when I have a longer walk, partially to get in a good drink without spilling it all over)
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    did day week 3 day 2 again today... still wicked sore....using some rubs and going to take tomorrow off from running.....i am starting a fitness class at church tomorrow night run by the pastors wife, should be fun and a change of pace. when you guys say compression wraps do you mean like an ace bandage what exactly is it and does it help....
  • HMKan
    Options
    Great job guys!

W3D3 today. I was just not into it. I finished it. But I wasn't into it. Has that happened to anyone else? I did my walks at like 3.0 and wanted to go slower (but didn't let myself). One of my 3 minute runs I did at 4.7 (usually go at 5.0). I just couldn't motivate myself to go, it was all harder than usual. Hopefully that is just temporary.

That being said, I think I'm sure I'm going to spend next week doing a little of Week 4 and a little of week 3. I don't think I'm ready to move on yet. Still, stoked about becoming a runner. I'll get there!

Will do a 4th run on Saturday and begin my combo week Sunday morning (hopefully before church but I'm not sure I"ll be getting up that early). Thanks for all the encouragement. The only reason I didn't quit this run was because I knew I needed to post tonight!
  • Annerea
    Annerea Posts: 104
    Options
    Great job guys!

W3D3 today. I was just not into it. I finished it. But I wasn't into it. Has that happened to anyone else? I did my walks at like 3.0 and wanted to go slower (but didn't let myself). One of my 3 minute runs I did at 4.7 (usually go at 5.0). I just couldn't motivate myself to go, it was all harder than usual. Hopefully that is just temporary.

That being said, I think I'm sure I'm going to spend next week doing a little of Week 4 and a little of week 3. I don't think I'm ready to move on yet. Still, stoked about becoming a runner. I'll get there!

Will do a 4th run on Saturday and begin my combo week Sunday morning (hopefully before church but I'm not sure I"ll be getting up that early). Thanks for all the encouragement. The only reason I didn't quit this run was because I knew I needed to post tonight!

I think there's just some days when you don't feel up to it - you're not sick, there's no reason for it, but you just don't feel like it. And if you're anything like me, you know it's going to be hard even before you start. Those are the days you should feel extra extra proud of yourself for getting through it!!

Shins are so-o-o-re this morning - walking downstairs is especially bad!

BTW, my pace is in km/h but I run at 9 and walk between 6-6.5. Not sure what that is in mph.
  • HeatherShrinking
    Options
    Alright did W1D1 last night. The gym was packed. I ended up on a stair machine for about 20 minutes before I was able to nab a treadmill. It went alright. By the time I started I was already kind of tired. So I made it through the workout, mostly. Near the end I had to skip some of the running portions (I did every other) because my heart rate monitor kept yelling at me for going above 170.

Biggest accomplishment was I did NOT fall off the treadmill! Score!
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 4, Day 3 this morning! It was the first time I ran on the treadmill since starting the training. Too cold to run outside this morning. It was different! The 5 minutes is still pretty tough, but I got through it. Going to start Week 5 on Monday. Looked ahead.. it's a bit intimidating!
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I DID IT!!! W4D1 done!! I'm going to try it twice more before moving on to Week 5.

Just to demonstrate quite how wrecked I was, I came out of the gym into gale force winds and horizontal rain. My car was at the far end of the car park, and the thought of running to it nearly made me cry!!

But I did it!!!!

YAY!! Good job :)
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Alright did W1D1 last night. The gym was packed. I ended up on a stair machine for about 20 minutes before I was able to nab a treadmill. It went alright. By the time I started I was already kind of tired. So I made it through the workout, mostly. Near the end I had to skip some of the running portions (I did every other) because my heart rate monitor kept yelling at me for going above 170.

Biggest accomplishment was I did NOT fall off the treadmill! Score!

Fantastic job, Heather!! That first day was a b*tch for me. So proud of you, esp. for not falling off the treadmill (I have a fear of doing that too -- that's why I run outside :glasses: -- gotta love Southern California - yep gotta rub it in.:bigsmile:
    ~Melanie
  • irongate
    Options
    I just finished day 3 week 1 also...I may redo day 3 again after seeing how fast everyone else is doing it on the treadmill. I was jogging at 4.2 and walking at 3.1...guess I should be going faster? I am in also!
  • HMKan
    Options
    I just finished day 3 week 1 also...I may redo day 3 again after seeing how fast everyone else is doing it on the treadmill. I was jogging at 4.2 and walking at 3.1...guess I should be going faster? I am in also!

No, go at your own pace. We are all at different levels here. Some have done this program before and others haven't. If you are being challenged you don't have to go as fast as anyone else. I even began going slower to be able to run longer, and once I can run for longer periods of time, I'll work on my speed.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just started C25K this week in preparation of my 8k run I signed up of at the end of April. Here is my progress as of today.

1. Week 1
    2. Day 3
    3. Walking Pace 4mph
    4. Running Pace 6mph
    5. I feel great after this... could have kept walking but running was out of the question.