INSANITY CHALLENGE. ANY TAKERS??

Options

Replies

• elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    We've been battling all sorts of sickness here...upper respiratory, flu...you name it, it's hit at least one of us in the house (ugh). I haven't been able to do much else. I was able to do day 1 of month 2 and was sore for 3 days...I was never sore like that during the first month. Just ran an 8k yesterday (while fighting a full blown head cold) and improved my time by 4+ minutes!!!! Last 8k I did was January 1st. We started Insanity shortly after (February) and just doing month one improved my cardio/endurance THAT much! I'm thrilled!!! I'll for sure be doing a second round!!!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    WTG elzettel. That's great that you're seeing real improvement! Hope everyone is starting to feel better!

I'm bouncing between this topic and the other INSANITY topic I started when I began this journey (a whopping 5 days ago! *lol*) so if you hear me repeat myself, my apologies!!

I did Pure Cardio today and it ended up being a repeat for me. Opps. Guess I got out of order, don't know if I read it wrong, just grabbed the wrong DVD...anything is possible at 5am! I'll be setting them out ahead of time.

Tonight and Tuesday the kids and I are staying at my Mom's to help her with some stuff (she just had foot surgery) so I packed my DVDS and am going to try and get it in at their house. That or I'll have to hit up the gym at lunch if I can work my schedule around it. As hard Insanity is, I'm still in my honeymoon phase with it (which I hope lasts all 60 days) because I have no desire to skip a work out. Maybe it's Shaun T, maybe it's the results on the HRM...I don't know but I keep coming back for more!!
  • chapsworth
    Options
    I've been doing circuits, spinning and aerobics but in a class environment where you can push yourself against others.

How are you folks getting on doing this alone at home? How do you keep the motivation going?

Haven't bought the DVDs yet, but I'm thinking about it!

Simon
  • mamareese
    Options
    I actually do it at the gym I go to in their mat room. Only because I know myself enough to know I"m not 'there' yet in terms of doing it at home when I have a laundry list of interruptions. So I do it there and then finish off (if I have the energy) with either some ab work or a short stint on the treadmill. Def. isn't necessary but if I have the time and energy...I do. I like going to the environment of 'the gym' it just keeps me in that mind set. I'm sure LOTS of people can go at it at home, I just need more time making this into my 'every day' before I can go that route.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I've been doing circuits, spinning and aerobics but in a class environment where you can push yourself against others.

How are you folks getting on doing this alone at home? How do you keep the motivation going?

My MFP buddy ceelovejay is my motivation!! :smile: I'd feel guilty if she kept going and I gave up!

I get up before my family and do it first thing in the morning before all the to do list items creep in the way. My kids would wake up early and bother me at first but I've been working out first thing since Dec and they are used to it now.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    So it is me or does Insanity just torch your calves? I thought my whole legs would be sore from all the plyo but really my calves are taking it the hardest. Lovin the burn :smokin:
  • nicholkid
    Options
    Hey everyone! My first post on this website. I am going to try and do Insanity as much as I can, though maybe not everyday. I thought I was in decent shape, but the plyo circuit was killer.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Still waiting for my DVD's to arrive, but wanted to check in, anyway. Been fighting colds and injuries, seems like everyone is, so here's to us all having a healthier spring.

I had a minor knee injury playing volleyball last week. One of the reasons I've been interested in these videos is all the reviews from runners saying it made them stronger/better runners. I know I have some weaknesses and imbalances and I was hoping to get my legs and core into shape with these videos.

Anyway, I'm seeing a PT and rehabbing the knee (patella tracking issue). Anyone else doing Insanity with knee issues (old or new)? My knee is at least 90% and I think I should be able to do impact aerobics by the time the video arrives (i'm dutifully completing all my physio exercises). Anyone else have experience with joint/injury issues before they started Insanity?

elzettel - I'm interested in your running achievement. Congrats on your improvement. So many runners seem to have great things to say - can't wait to try it out.

mamareese - What a good idea about taking the DVDs to the gym. I like working out at home, but I don't like my living room smelling like a gym - and the distractions don't help.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    So it is me or does Insanity just torch your calves? I thought my whole legs would be sore from all the plyo but really my calves are taking it the hardest. Lovin the burn :smokin:
    I haven't felt much pain in my calves, though I did feel a bit of shin pain this morning. This is the first time I'm feeling that and it's been 8 days.
  • lovetowrite73
    Options
    Second time doing Pure Cardio today. It wasn't as bad as the first time and I felt a ton stronger. I didn't need as many breaks as the first time either. Let's see how it goes on Saturday when I have to do it again along with Cardio Abs (my first time doing that - eek!!)
  • shakemybooty
    Options
    Day 16 (I think)-Plyo circuit. This is the one that hurts my right foot/calf. I've narrowed it down to the suicides.

Jennieodwyer-My calves are always on fire.

Nicholkid-It gets better if you stick with it.

jlbay-I can't imagine doing it with a knee injury! I hope you feel better soon!
  • shakemybooty
    Options
    Second time doing Pure Cardio today. It wasn't as bad as the first time and I felt a ton stronger. I didn't need as many breaks as the first time either. Let's see how it goes on Saturday when I have to do it again along with Cardio Abs (my first time doing that - eek!!)

You'll have to tell me if your body is built right (like the pretzels') or if you're popping like me. :laugh:
  • mamareese
    Options
    jlbay- As far as knee injuries go, a good decade ago now when I was 18 I had knee surgery to remove some cartlidge that I'd messed up. I do find that Insanity racks my knees pretty good but from some research I've read that if I can push through the first weeks and get my leg muscles stronger, it should take some of that pressure off my joints. Just be careful, you don't want to push yourself too hard and end up making it worse!! Good luck!

I did my 2nd round of Plyo Cardio today. I couldn't wait for it to end! Pushed through but it's day 6 for me and I'm thankful for the rest day. I was proud of myself because we stayed at my parents' last night and I still got my butt up and went at it. Thankfully they have a pretty good set up in their living room so I had enough room and the carpet absorbed the noise of me bouncing around so I didn't wake the kiddos! My dad came in about 50% through and was like my little cheerleader. 'Go go! Keep going!' and then when I'm ready to pass out he yells 'Shaun T said take a water break if you need it' LoL. Gotta love parents!

Keep at it ladies!
  • jennieodwyer
    Options
    Finished Day 4 - Cardio Recovery. Was sort of nice to have a day off of all the jumping but boy those squats make my legs BURN!! Since there was no cardio my calorie burn was low (only 235) so I am hoping I can really get a good calorie burn tomorrow with Pure Cardio. How does Pure Cardio stack up against Plyo Cardio Circuit and Cardio Power & Resistance? It is all new ways to kick my butt or somewhat similar? On a pleasing side note, I was sore today in my triceps so Cardio Power & Resistance was definately working my arms more than I thought!
  • lovetowrite73
    Options
    Were you popping during Cardio Abs? I'll make sure to pay attention to it. I did find my foot popping a lot yesterday while I was doing the cool down stretch.

Reese, that is so great of your dad!! I'm sure that helped you to get through. Yay, dad!

I actually caved and got protein powder yesterday to see if that helps any with recovery. I got the smallest package they have, which only lasts a week. If I don't feel much of a difference between that and the chocolate milk, I'm just going to go back to chocolate milk. It's way cheaper. I'll have to find a different way to get enough protein in.

Jennie, you're definitely going to get a GREAT burn with Pure Cardio tomorrow. Be ready! :laugh: There are NO BREAKS during the entire workout. You have a break between the warmup and stretch and then a break between the stretch and the workout and then it's straight through for about 17 minutes until you get to the cool down stretch.
  • jennieodwyer
    Options
    Jennie, you're definitely going to get a GREAT burn with Pure Cardio tomorrow. Be ready! :laugh: There are NO BREAKS during the entire workout. You have a break between the warmup and stretch and then a break between the stretch and the workout and then it's straight through for about 17 minutes until you get to the cool down stretch.

Oh dear! Bring it :happy:
  • shakemybooty
    Options
    Cee-My hips popped all through the cardio abs routine. Last night I had to get up with one of my sick boys and my feet and ankles popped all the way down the hallway.

Mama-That's great that your dad was cheering you on!

Jennie-I think my brain won't let me remember which stuff is in which workout so I'll be dumb enough to keep pushing play when all I want to do is go back to bed. If Pure Cardio is the one I'm thinking of, I actually like it the best.
  • nathawkins
    Options
    Hi all! It sounds like those that have been doing the workouts are really liking it. I just got mine in the mail yesterday and we completed the fit test last night. Excited to see how the first real workout is going to go tonight : )

Have you all been seeing any differences with your measurements/weight since you started? I've seen the results of others on BeachBody's website but sometimes you wonder if the company beef's them up to sell the product.

Good luck with all of your workouts today! I will let you all know how mine goes tonight : )
  • lovetowrite73
    Options
    There are several people on here that have had success with the program. I felt the same way as you re: the people on the BB site. After seeing "real" results on here, I was convinced that I was going to do this! I haven't done measurements yet, plus I'm only on my second week. I'll measure this coming Monday when I take my second fit test.
  • cthomps
    cthomps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Insanity is truly brutal - good luck with it. I enjoyed the 1 dvd I borrowed from a friend. Can't wait to order it.