Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - February Challenge!!

Options
Hey 20-somethings!

It's that time again - 2011 is well under way, January is behind us and we're back into the full swing of things! Time to own up, check our progress, and set new goals for the month ahead. We are definitely going to Kick some *kitten* this month! You've only got 28 days, so **be realistic and set your goals accordingly** 4 short weeks, so know your limits and make your goals attainable :happy:

Really looking forward to having a good mix of new and old members - I know there were a few people hoping to join up with us in Feb and I hope they turn up. For those who are new to the group, please tag your name and your goals for February onto bottom of the NEW goal list (which will start to form Feb 1st - who's going to start us off?) and let us know a bit about yourself. Copy and paste the ENTIRE list when you add yourself, so that we can keep things orderly. Other than that - Just post whatever you feel like, let us know a little about yourself, and use this group as a way to keep yourself on track and motivate/support others!

Here's the most recent iteration of the Jan goal list that I could find:
skiptomylou32--scale goal: 125, non-scale goal: stop waiting till tomorrow, making excuses, and being complacent with my fitness goals
Lauratx22-to lose 7 pounds! Weighing 163!
Roobean33 - cardio 5X/week, lifting 3X/week, try out CrossFit, lose 2lbs, H20 guzzle, take measurements.
kvr414- 1 hr cardio 3x a week, try 3 new recipes, 12 cups water/day, lose 6 lbs.
meagalayne- curb late-night snacking and emotional eating, limit carbohydrate consumption after 4pm and experiment with new Low-GI recipes once a week, maintain under 130lbs, and complete first 4 weeks of Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training (Novice)
emmarie1630- lose 4 pounds, 4x a week workout, use wii fitness games a ton, MORE WATER!
wardiemelissa-continue to maintain between 120-125lbs; plan healthy family meals at least 5 nights a week; begin training for half marathon (just need to find one in May or June)
tjradd73-lose 8lbs, 80oz H20 per day, and cardio 3x per week.
Mike (CaptainJim) lose 5-8 lbs, 3x (30-60 min) cardio per week, fit into size 32 jeans (I'm 34's right now)
Finncmh- see a loss on the scale, continue strength training 2x's a week and update the routine at the end of Jan, continue running training- increase to 5 min running intervals, 1 new healthy recipe a week, and get back in to yoga/stretching routine in the am and/or pm
briar_rose: lose 5 pounds, exercise 3x/week, no potato chips
mkingraham: lose 15 pounds by Feb 1., exercise 5/6 x a week with 3/4 days of strength training, eat breakfast everyday (a healthy one), two servings of fruit a day.
GuamGrly (Bethany) - DO NOT focus on the scale. Focus on changing my lifestyle by incorporating fruits and vegetables in my diet more, drinking my water everyday, planning my meals, working out 120 minutes per week, and getting back to C25k traning.
LostAlyKat (Aly) : Be under 170lbs for the end of the month. Do weight lifting or strength 3 times a week, be active in some way every day. Get back into doing Yoga do a class at least 1 time this month. Write down my feelings more often.
Stuartme123: JanSW = 156. Check-in with this thread 3-4x/week, 30 min of cardio 3x a week, Restart and keep up with 100 push-up challenge and C25K, Keep unhealthy snacking to under 200 calories/day, Add veggies that wouldn't normally be there to at least one meal a day, Try one new healthy recipe a week, Lose 1lb a week for a total of 4lbs.
seripha - exercise 5x a week for at least 30 minutes each. Try to eat at least 1 cup of dark green food every day and only 1 sweet thing per day. :)
miss_amy: to lose 8lbs (38 total lbs), work out 5x a week for an hour & log EVERYTHING!
Ngoat (nancy): Lose 5lbs, Drink more water, and eat healthier dinners!
rai8759: lose at least 4 lbs (164 by 1/31/11); work out 3x a week idevelop a consistent weight training regiment and work my way up to 2x a week weight training; drink 8-10 cups of water per day; eat more veggies; track everything in my food diary!!
Dteg: Scale to lose 5 LBs making under 140 for the first time in 5 years!!!! non scale: to eat more fresh food, eat in more often not going out as much anymore, excerise three times a week
Allie7383- be at or under 155, eat more fruits/veggies, and drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
katecampbell03- Lose 5lbs this month and make time to fit in a work-out before/during/after work
pags221 - weigh 1.31.11 @ 123lbs / make it to the gym 21 days this month
Allislefttogain - Stay below 120; run 70 miles; 64 ounces of (straight!) water daily; complete weeks 2-4 of Turbo Fire; try kale & brussel sprouts; strength train 3x a week
tai_88 - drink at least 8 cups of water a day. I must drink at least 4 cups before i can have tea or my sprite zero; stop mindless/emotional eating; work out at least 4 times a week; log every day; continue the push up challenge; lose 4 lbs.
spellbinder25 - (1) Continue with C25K, (2) Cook twice a week, (3) Have a serving of fruit everyday, (4) Do strength training thrice a week, (5) Reach 142lbs by the end of Jan.
KanCrav - I want to loose 5lbs by the end of January
Silver180 - Stay smoke/fast food free, gym 3x/wk, stay under 2,000 cal/day, drink more water, lose 5 lbs.
angels and wolves-scale goal: 169 by feb 1st; non-scale goals: continue 30DS everyday, drop a pnt size by feb 1st, give up soda and caffeine, and be able to run a mile.
Nadine - Scale goals: 125lbs by my next half marathon in March. Non scale goals - successfully check off every scheduled run on my 1/2 marathon training program, thats 4 runs a week. Committ to practicing yoga at least twice a week (running injury preventer!!) Weight train twice a week. Cut fast food, make my own lunches and eating smartly - feeding my body what it needs to perform and feel its best, not foods that taste good but make me tired. My running time goals are in my signature :)
Nita_Bita - Scale goal: to get between 130-135 by May. Non Scale goals - follow through with TurboFire and eat clean the entire time; document everything that i eat
bellatiamarie lose 15 pounds; exercise at least 15 times this month (haven't exercised one day yet)
kls1628- stick to calorie allowance, continue going to the gym 4 times a week but add 20 minutes of cardio to my lifting sessions, drink 8 glasses of water per day.
cheralicia-to get to 120lbs, and non-scale goal: cut the procrastination, go to yoga class and get on my treadmill - both at least once per week
How did you stack up? Meet all your goals or still have a few things to work on? It's all good - We're ALL a work in progress! Use these goals as a barometer for setting new targets in February. Best of luck to all my fave MFPals in February - Stay on track, stay accountable, and most importantly stay motivated to make this the healthiest month yet!

Make it count, ladies!
Meag :heart:

Replies

• nmpresto
    nmpresto Posts: 157
    Options
    Not sure If I am supposed to start a list or put mine on the bottom of the January list...?

I am Nicole, am 22 years old, and am from Minneapolis, MN and I am just joining this challenge. My first biggest challenge was to get under 162, I would get super close and even under but then would have a couple bad days and be back up there again. My new "struggle number" is 160, I was down to 156 but then had a bad week or two and am now back up (I do really well as long as I am being super strict with myself but I am definitely a binge eater so anytime I give myself some slack I plummet). I am going to Florida with 3 girlfriends on March 14th and would like to comfortably wear a bikini so, even though this may be a little ambitious, I would like to lose 10 lbs in February. I am going to try writing out my workout schedule and my menu every Sunday in hopes that it will keep me on track.

nmpresto - scale goal: lose 10lbs by March 1 (150 lbs); non-scale goal: 2 days lifting, 2 days abs, 4 days cardio per week
  • jessista
    Options
    It's not technically February yet, but I'll start off--

jessista: Be under my calorie goal for at least 7 days this month, be under 150 lbs by the end of the month, cut down on unhealthy late-night snacking (sometimes I am just hungry, so a healthy snack would be ok), walk the long way back to my apartment after class, climb the four flights of stairs to my apartment without it ending in heavy breathing.
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey all - I'd like to jump in this month!

I'm Megan, 26 ALSO from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. (woo nmpresto!) I have a desk job as a web designer. I joined back in November but am slowly starting to see better progress. I've gained all my excess weight over the years with college and then a boyfriend I love who loves to cook from Mastering the Art of French cooking without skimping on ALL the butter. But, we've both made changes to our lifestyle to help me get healthier, and I'm starting to get back to running. (I was on the cross country team in high school and loved just being able to run for 45 minutes!) I'm doing C25k now and made it to week 5 so far.

nmpresto - scale goal: lose 10lbs by March 1 (150 lbs); non-scale goal: 2 days lifting, 2 days abs, 4 days cardio per week
    megteg - Lose 4 lbs, drink 9 glasses of water/day, and get 4 workouts in per week (at least one with strength), make more homemade lunches
  • seripha
    Options
    Updating the list :)

megteg - Lose 4 lbs, drink 9 glasses of water/day, and get 4 workouts in per week (at least one with strength), make more homemade lunches
    jessista: Be under my calorie goal for at least 7 days this month, be under 150 lbs by the end of the month, cut down on unhealthy late-night snacking (sometimes I am just hungry, so a healthy snack would be ok), walk the long way back to my apartment after class, climb the four flights of stairs to my apartment without it ending in heavy breathing.
    seripha - 148lbs by the end of the month, work out 5x a week, go to kung fu 3x a week when I'm in town :)
  • Roobean33
    Options
    JAN GOALS: cardio 5X/week, lifting 3X/week, try out CrossFit, lose 2lbs, H20 guzzle, take measurements.
    -Tried and love crossfit which knocked out my lifting goal too! Cardio, I do about 2 days and feel like I should up that a bit but 5 is probably overdoing it. I lost weight but have focused less and less on the scale and more on my measurements. H20 is still a struggle!

FEB GOALS: I'm going to start maintenance. I am a mere 2lbs away from my goal and it's been a struggle to lose those last few pounds and frankly I need a break. I am feeling healthier and feeling good right now the way I am. SO: focus on NSV's and measurements and eating healthy quality calories. CrossFit 4X/week with cardio 2X/week.

seripha - 148lbs by the end of the month, work out 5x a week, go to kung fu 3x a week when I'm in town :)
    roobean33- Focus on NSV's, take measurements every 2 weeks, focus on healthy quality calories, CF 4X/week, cardio 2X
  • emmarie1630
    emmarie1630 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Overall I'm fairly satisfied with my goals. I've already had my "I'm working hard and the scale's not moving" rant so I'm moving past that. My goal was to lose 4 pounds but I only lost about 2.5 in January. Not exactly thrilled with that but maybe the pounds will come off faster in February and I'll break the plateau. I did however drink LOTS more water this month. I tried to have my water bottle on hand at all times. The last few days of the month I sort of dropped the ball on that so I'm gonna keep up with that on my February goals also. I am also proud to say that January has been my best month as far as consistent work outs. I hit the gym at least 4-6 times a week ever since I've been back at school (January 8th) My goal was to work out 4 times a week so I definitely kept that up. I also did a lot less eating out this month. That wasn't one of my goals really, just a bonus. :smile:

My February goals are to lose 3 pounds this month, keep up with my measurements for once! and lose .5- 1 inch in the waist area (is that attainable? I haven't really been keeping up with it- so hopefully that's reasonable), keep my water bottle with me as much as possible, work on cutting out diet soda completely and keep up at least 4 work outs a week- continuing strength training as well.

Good luck everyone! It's another brand new month, let's make the best of it! :happy:

roobean33- Focus on NSV's, take measurements every 2 weeks, focus on healthy quality calories, CF 4X/week, cardio 2X
    emmarie1630- lose 3 pounds, track measurements- lose up to 1 inch, drink tons of water, cut out diet soda, 4x/week work out and strength training
  • VictorVegaJr
    VictorVegaJr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm vic, only 19 but will be 20 soon haha, I wanna Join my peeps in their 20's! I want to lose 9+ pounds this month. 9 would be amazing and anything after that would be icing on the perverbial cake, or dressing on the perverbial salad. Whichever you prefer! =]
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Already did my January Re-wind so I'll post Feb (and add vic too fo good measure).

Vic and our rather impressive list of first timers: welcome! I will do my customary warning about setting a monthly goal too high-- some of us do prefer to push forward ambitiously which is fine, just keep in mind, 4 lbs in a month (esp in the short month of Feb) is a NORMAL pace and even less than that for some-- So if you don't make it to the ambitious side of your goals please don't be put off- just pick up and try again! Ok PSA over :laugh:

For me the name of the game is going to be slow and steady. I have been losing pretty steady at 1lb or so a week but I'm still going to set my scale goal at 143. More than that is great, less I will deal with too. NSG's I would like to trim down my ordering out to 1x a week (im at about 2-3 times right now).

Ok so Newest list:

emmarie1630- lose 3 pounds, track measurements- lose up to 1 inch, drink tons of water, cut out diet soda, 4x/week work out and strength training
    lil_vic22: Lose 9 lbs
    Meggonkgonk: To reach 143 lbs and cut down eating out to 1x a week

Happy February everyone :drinker:
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    great goals so far everyone!!!

just *bumping* for now! will post goals later :)
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    here we go again! Yippee!!

mkingraham: I would like to lose 7 lbs this month but more importantly by the end of Feb I would like to be able to run 2 miles without stopping. Its gonna be a hard one but I think I can do it! I also am planning on keeping up the healthy breakfast and exerciese routines! woop!
  • jbars11
    Options
    Good Morning and Happy February Everyone!!!
    I am so excited to be a part of this challenge =) My name is Jessica and I live in Green Bay WI (Go Packers, ha ha) I'm a wife and mom and I work full-time for an AIDS Service Organization. I find that working that 8-5 job is hard to stay motivated for working out. I'm catching on to the eating right, counting calories and I'm loving it. I am seeing some changes in about a month and it's great!!!

My scale goal would be to lose 6 pounds in February. My non-scale goal is to keep to my 30 shred personal challenge (doing Jillian's 30 day shred for the 30 days up to my birthday which means I start on Thursday and go to March 4th and I still need to pick up my 3lb. weights...Ah!) I also want to cut back on the amount of soda I drink (it's really my downfall something about the artificial sweetner and carbonation...eeesh)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Happy Feb everyone!! :drinker:

Wow - It's always awesome to see folks joining up in our new challenges! Most of em don't usually kick it for more than a few days but I hope you guys stick around for a while - It's always great having fresh meat in the group :wink: haha!

Wonderful goals everyone! Really impressed with the stuff people are posting. Thanks Gonks for the PSA - I'm glad you re-iterated it! Slow and steady is definitely the name of the game here :smile:

jbars- Welcome and love the range of your goals. Scale, fitness and diet. Wonderful! Keep at it and so glad to have you here with us! :flowerforyou:

Megan - Love the running and breakfast goals - Woop!

Vic - Welcome to the group! 9lbs is a tall order - working towards 9lbs is definitely an admirable goal, but any loss is significant so make sure you celebrate the small victories. What are you doing to get yourself there? Food/fitness goals are another great way to track yourself and I'd definitely recommend setting 1 or 2 for yourself :smile:

Em- Great to hear you had such a good month and that you're feeling proud about your commitment to this :bigsmile: You're such an all star, girl. Keep rocking it!

Roo - Maintenance is a great idea - I think I started maintenance with about 5lbs to lose :blushing: Upping your cals and not working SO hard at losing will probably help your body drop those last few. And if you never lose them, what's 2lbs? If you're feeling fit and healthy it's really just an arbitrary # on the scale. Great great work this month :happy: You kick so much *kitten*!

Meg - Great to see you here, girl! Dunno about everyone else, but I share all kinds of recipes on here. Hopefully we can swap throughout the month and give each other lots of healthy ideas for eating quick and easy food that is great fuel for our bods. Esp quick lunches! :happy: Love the goals!

Jessista - Great goals Jess! Welcome to the group :flowerforyou: The stairs goal is SO perfect and very creative! After 28 days of working out you will definitely notice a difference! Good luck!!

nmpresto - Welcome! Thanks for kicking us off! Beware - 10lbs is a huge ask from such a small body already, so don't be discouraged if you lose closer to 5-6lbs. Your body will drop weight as it sees fit and losing 10lbs in 4 weeks could actually be a lot more harm than it's worth. Work out hard, make sure you are eating your cals (1200/day + all your exercise cals - for reals) and just let your body do it's thing! The weight will come off over time - trying to push it too hard and lose it too fast is not going to help you work towards being the healthiest version of you!

AFM:
    Jan goals
    meagalayne- curb late-night snacking and emotional eating, limit carbohydrate consumption after 4pm and experiment with new Low-GI recipes once a week, maintain under 130lbs, and complete first 4 weeks of Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training (Novice
    I'm not quite sure how to measure my late night snacking... I know that some nights I've managed to get to bed before devouring anything else, so I guess that's a win. Definitely still a struggle and will continue to work on it in Feb. Limiting carb consumption post-4pm hasn't really happened but overall my carb consumption is lower, so I am happy with that. I have been experimenting with a lot of meals and I haven't had hardly any high-GI carbs all month (apart from some homemade ciabatta bread and the random ice cream and candy binges), so for the most part I am working towards a low-GI diet 90% of the time. Works for me!

Did a ton of experimenting (as you know) so that's a big CHECK! I also committed myself to no more than 1 packet of sweetener a day (wasn't on the list for whatever reason) and kept it all month, which is a great NSV for me! And I maintained under 130lbs - Weighing in at 127.0lbs today. Not too shabby! It's technically a gain of 0.9lbs but since it's not my normal weigh-in day and I'm in maintenance, I am not caring a whole lot about it. Completed the first 4 weeks of HH Intermediate training - NO SWEAT! Bring on that 1/2 baby!

Updated Feb list:
    mkingraham: I would like to lose 7 lbs this month but more importantly by the end of Feb I would like to be able to run 2 miles without stopping. Its gonna be a hard one but I think I can do it! I also am planning on keeping up the healthy breakfast and exerciese routines! woop!
    jbars11- lose 6lbs, continue 30 day shred personal challenge and cut back on soda
    meagalayne- Maintain under 130lbs, finish 4 more weeks of HH 1/2 Training Program (Intermediate), race 15km on Feb 19th in UNDER 1:43:00, curb late night snacking and after work binging, and limit sweetener use to ONCE a day.

Let's keep this list going, y'all! :bigsmile:

-Meag :heart:
  • chelsiburnett
    Options
    Hi I am Chelsi- I am 23 years old and I am addicted to MFP! I love all the challenges on here and can't wait to start this one. My starting weight for Febuary 1st is 139.2. I am ready to get down to business and lose this weight!!!

jbars11- lose 6lbs, continue 30 day shred personal challenge and cut back on soda
    meagalayne- Maintain under 130lbs, finish 4 more weeks of HH 1/2 Training Program (Intermediate), race 15km on Feb 19th in UNDER 1:43:00, curb late night snacking and after work binging, and limit sweetener use to ONCE a day.
    ChelsiBurnett- (Starting weight 139.2) Goals: Lose 5 + pounds, Eat back most of my exercise calories, drink lots of water, do p90x everyday, & don't eat fast food.
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump Bump! Ill be back! PS I maintained my weight through the weekend! Score!!!
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    ChelsiBurnett- (Starting weight 139.2) Goals: Lose 5 + pounds, Eat back most of my exercise calories, drink lots of water, do p90x everyday, & don't eat fast food.
    Lostalykat- Lose 4 pounds, Weigh 167, Strength train 2-3 days a week, Track all food that goes in my mouth, Do at least one Yoga class! Assess goals weekly, Make a new recipe 4 times this month.

I know I will most likely make more recipes than 4 but I want to keep it attainable. I am feeling confident about my goals. I am going to focus on my other goals besides weight loss, but I think I have this thing figured out. Only 2 months and I am in Hawaii! I got my swimsuit and it looks pretty good I can't wait for it to fit even better in 2 months. I tried on the size 8 jeans again and I was able to button them! They are still super tight but I think I will be able to fit into them after a month or two yay! Feeling skinny today and it feels great! I was up .2 from Friday but I consider that maintenance! I hope to see the scale go down these next few days and show a loss for the first week of the month!

For those of you who don't know me I am Aly, I train for triathlons and duathlons and pretty much anything with on at the end of it haha. In the past 2 years I have lost 25 pounds and I want to lose another 15, This is my Year Baby.

Workouts for this week:
    Monday- Rest
    Tuesday- Swim and pushups
    Wednesday- Run group at night maybe early morning yoga?
    Thursday- Swim with pushups
    Friday- Rest
    Saturday- Swim/Run
    Sunday- Bike(do the preview course for my duathlon ahhh!)

Question of the Day (QOTD)

What are you doing today to get ready for this month?
    I am writing down my goals and working on a meal plan for the week. I do best when I plan everything out. I am going to mentally visualize myself doing good at the superbowl party I have on Sunday all week!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Bumping for now
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
  • seripha
    Options
    Welcome to all of the new people! Thrilled to see you here! I hope that you keep us updated on your progress so we can support you achieve your goals :)

GuamGrly - You're back! :D

Meag - Late night snacking is the worst for me, especially if I've been working late. I'm hungry and need to eat but at the same time it's so easy to eat crap because I don't want to stay up too much longer to make myself something good. I've been trying to have a few things ready in the fridge that I can just get out and heat up, but even then I'm still like "junk would be so good right now".

QOTD - I'm trying to pre-plan my day's food out (especially dinner) first thing in the morning so that I eat enough cals for exercising. I'm going to be doing a lot of my kung fu later at night (between 5:30 and 8:00 pm), but I don't want to binge on a lot of food after that because I will get super bloated and will probably eat a lot of crap.

Speaking of Kung Fu, I'll be burning a LOT of calories. I'm already having difficulties trying to get enough healthy food in to get what I need to be full and not a zillion degrees over my protein intake, but not binging on a lot of sugary things. I really need to start looking at some good healthy recipes that will allow me to eat up but maintain what I need to get by.
  • cheralicia
    Options
    Woooh the list is super long already! I went MIA for a few days but I'm back to start Feb with a bang!
    January goal
    scale goal: 120
    non-scale goal: cut the procrastination, go to yoga class and get on my treadmill - both at least once per week

January was a funky couple of weeks - I started this amazing group mid-month and did awesome with my eating, but sickness and studying killed my workouts...so Scale Goal: 120 - MET ( and BEAT! 118 now!) ... Non-scale goal: I did make it to yoga OR the gym at least once a week but didn't manage both last week. Too much on my plate.

So I'm ready to get serious for February! Everyone's goals look great, and exciting to see so many new additions (haha listen to me like I'm a seasoned veteran). I'm noticing a few similar goals so we can definitely keep each other on track! I'll keep mine modest and hope to crush them!

Lostalykat- Lose 4 pounds, Weigh 167, Strength train 2-3 days a week, Track all food that goes in my mouth, Do at least one Yoga class! Assess goals weekly, Make a new recipe 4 times this month.
    Cheralicia - Scale Goal: 2lbs (116lbs); Non Scale Goal: Cook at least 3x/week, yoga at least 1x/week, Cardio at least 1x/week, TRACK EVERYTHING (even the bad days) - oh yeah and crush my LSAT this month!

QOTD - I am going to save some recipes on my recipe apps so I can plan/shop ahead and actually get down to the cooking without running out to the supermarket for missing ingredients.
  • Eric_Geary
    Eric_Geary Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey i think this is the perfect group for me! i have been on MFP for almost a year now and always looking for people my age to get motivation from. So my Feb. goal is to lose 15 Lbs., Cardio 6x's a week, and NO FAST FOOD!

Cheralicia - Scale Goal: 2lbs (116lbs); Non Scale Goal: Cook at least 3x/week, yoga at least 1x/week, Cardio at least 1x/week, TRACK EVERYTHING (even the bad days) - oh yeah and crush my LSAT this month!
    LiL_Fizzy-lose 15 Lbs., Cardio 6x's a week, Kettlebell 3x's a week and NO FAST FOOD!