Any gamers?

Options

Replies

• timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If only I had the time, with over 100 production servers, and about 200 more for back end and dev machines, I just can't monitor any. Especially with all the SQL stuff I take care of, people like to *kitten* with my SQL servers. One day I'm just gonna snap and start cyber bombing people who denormalize my DB servers!

I have never had to deal with too many dBs.... Only to make sure that the WSUS or other like servers are up and running. I deal more with the Networking/System/IA side depending on what needs me most at the time. I wish I had more dB experience. I had over 200 hours a day of video that I wanted to be able to Metatag chat, position location, and time. Had a few idea of what might work, but definitely never had the ability to attack it. Instead, I ended up with 280 TB of video that couldnt be searched.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ok, just because I am completely lost........and I know I will appear like a complete idiot here. These are all gaming systems for the computer right??? (ducks and runs from the jeers and groans of the men *and some women* here!)

we've moved into hardcore geek stuff Tam. Sorry. It's the nature of a geek to get geekier and geekier the more we talk about technology. :blushing:
  • banks1850
    Options
    If only I had the time, with over 100 production servers, and about 200 more for back end and dev machines, I just can't monitor any. Especially with all the SQL stuff I take care of, people like to *kitten* with my SQL servers. One day I'm just gonna snap and start cyber bombing people who denormalize my DB servers!

I have never had to deal with too many dBs.... Only to make sure that the WSUS or other like servers are up and running. I deal more with the Networking/System/IA side depending on what needs me most at the time. I wish I had more dB experience. I had over 200 hours a day of video that I wanted to be able to Metatag chat, position location, and time. Had a few idea of what might work, but definitely never had the ability to attack it. Instead, I ended up with 280 TB of video that couldnt be searched.

*shutter* WSUS is database hell. (that and sharepoint)
    for blobs that big tim, you'd be better with oracle. it crawls DBMS's better then MS SQL
  • neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Where to begin....

I've always been a gamer. Still have my Atari console systems from early childhood (yes, all three) and my Nintendo and such. I have a PS2 up here in Virginia while I'm at school and have brought all of my RPGs with me. Currently spending most of my time on Suikoden V although I also have Kingdom Hearts I & II here with me, FF X, X2, VII and Fullmetal Alchemist (which I got mostly because I love the anime). I LOVE GUITAR HERO! I am a musician at heart so anything like that rocks. Got my friend into DDR the other day at the arcade and I am also using games on the rehabilitation unit where I work for cognitive retraining and physical therapy.

I am actually developing a research protocol for the Nintendo DS using some of the current games to assess for neuropsychological changes following practice effects from gaming (oh my goodness....I'm such a nerd)

I feel the love here... I'm not alone :tongue:
  • timisw
    Options
    Single SSD vs a RAID 5 with what? 4 drives? Probably pretty close for read, write will probably be faster with the SSD. But if you RAID 50 everything, it will be faster then a single SSD. Course you could always put it all on a ISCSI san and get even FASTER performance. Plus, if you're looking for speed, why not go with 15K RPM in RAID 50 that is even faster. But one question, DELL? for RAID? Yikes! that's painful. HP and IBM both have much better storage tech.

Our DCs/Exchange and others are using ISCSI SANs to NetApp FAS2050s which all are slammed with memory and used with VMWare ESX.

I have a few other servers that we run in a RAID with 15K RPM....

Marine Corps seems to be in bed with DELL.
  • timisw
    Options
    for blobs that big tim, you'd be better with oracle. it crawls DBMS's better then MS SQL

Please dont mention SharePoint. They keep trying to put that under IT's /' G6's belt vice over at the Information Management Office. We have a few of our Legacy Applications using some form of Oracle backend... but for the most part, USMC lost all of their programs as the Mainframes disappeared.

Now we beg and plead for some form of dB/Programmer type as each day presents a new challenge.
  • neurogirl
    Options
    By the way Banks, I have to say the system for $2400 you have posted is pretty sweet. My friend is going to create his and he's a gamer and all but starting to get out of it and is still looking at spending close to $4500 (which I think might just be overkill for some WoW) but then again, I usually just play console games so what do I know :tongue:
  • timisw
    Options
    Ok, just because I am completely lost........and I know I will appear like a complete idiot here. These are all gaming systems for the computer right??? (ducks and runs from the jeers and groans of the men *and some women* here!)

we've moved into hardcore geek stuff Tam. Sorry. It's the nature of a geek to get geekier and geekier the more we talk about technology. :blushing:

~laughing~

So how about that TRS80... Wanna load Worms up via Tape?
  • banks1850
    Options

Please dont mention SharePoint. They keep trying to put that under IT's /' G6's belt vice over at the Information Management Office. We have a few of our Legacy Applications using some form of Oracle backend... but for the most part, USMC lost all of their programs as the Mainframes disappeared.

Now we beg and plead for some form of dB/Programmer type as each day presents a new challenge.

LOL, too many things to laugh with you on here. I feel bad for the guy they DO hire. I'll do it, for $150K per year, or $130 and I can work from home and VPN in (if they pay for my FIOS connection).
  • banks1850
    Options
    By the way Banks, I have to say the system for $2400 you have posted is pretty sweet. My friend is going to create his and he's a gamer and all but starting to get out of it and is still looking at spending close to $4500 (which I think might just be overkill for some WoW) but then again, I usually just play console games so what do I know :tongue:

why thanks lady! :happy:
    IMHO
    You don't need 4500, anything over 3000 and you're just spending for the sake of spending. I mean, unless you need some special equipment. Not that I WOULDN'T take 4500 and build something crazy with it. I could probably build a space shuttle for that much! LOL! NASA's a bunch of amateurs!

By the way, did I mention that I used to own my own business that built and sold desktops as part of it's model? No? Well, I did, got out only cuz there was more accounting work in Assachusetts then there was computer work! Damn state sucks for small businesses! Truely it does.
  • timisw
    Options
    LOL, too many things to laugh with you on here. I feel bad for the guy they DO hire. I'll do it, for $150K per year, or $130 and I can work from home and VPN in (if they pay for my FIOS connection).

~smiling~

You would have to deploy!

We could give you FIOS, but your choke point would be the STEP entry!

I always love when people create more applications that sit back in CONUS cause they work over High Speed and Satellite (for military band), is a VERY precious resource (as in 10K users sharing 4Mbps).

I love the look on peoples faces when I tell them that they have more bandwidth going to their home then we do on a FOB.
  • neurogirl
    Options
    Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he's spending too much. I mean, common! For that kind of money, build the darn machine and buy yourself a bunch of furniture you were too cheap to buy for your first apartment :laugh:

By the way, love the signature Banks. It's a hoot. Yay for Family Guy.
  • banks1850
    Options

~smiling~

You would have to deploy!

We could give you FIOS, but your choke point would be the STEP entry!

I always love when people create more applications that sit back in CONUS cause they work over High Speed and Satellite (for military band), is a VERY precious resource (as in 10K users sharing 4Mbps).

I love the look on peoples faces when I tell them that they have more bandwidth going to their home then we do on a FOB.

Well, in that case, I'd want an additional T3 into the office for my personal nortel vpn device, Office lag would be just plain unacceptable when running giant, 800 line queries on Terrabyte databases! LOL!
    See, I'm spoiled right now, our office is a communications company, so we have 500 ppl and 3 T3's in (yeah baby, how's your 36 Mb bandwidth for watching netflix movies! LOL!) It's pretty cool to download W2K3 SP2 in about 22 seconds (I think that was what it was)
  • timisw
    Options
    Well, in that case, I'd want an additional T3 into the office for my personal nortel vpn device, Office lag would be just plain unacceptable when running giant, 800 line queries on Terrabyte databases! LOL!
    See, I'm spoiled right now, our office is a communications company, so we have 500 ppl and 3 T3's in (yeah baby, how's your 36 Mb bandwidth for watching netflix movies! LOL!) It's pretty cool to download W2K3 SP2 in about 22 seconds (I think that was what it was)

NICE! That would be amazing. In garrison we are dumbfounded by the sloth like speed and agility of NMCI. Thank God there contract is up! Deployed we have a lot of Intra bandwidth, but not a lot of Inter.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he's spending too much. I mean, common! For that kind of money, build the darn machine and buy yourself a bunch of furniture you were too cheap to buy for your first apartment :laugh:

LOL yeah. Side note, there aren't many more then 4 or 5 games out there that can utilize the setup I put out, never mind what you could put in a 3000 machine. Forget 4500, you'd have to plate the case in gold to make it cost that much. I love looking online at the alienware boxes. I mean c'mon! I priced one out with the same specs as I have (except using the Intel Quad core) and it's around $7000, that's just plain silly! I Have New G5 HP DL380 Servers that cost less then that!
  • banks1850
    Options

NICE! That would be amazing. In garrison we are dumbfounded by the sloth like speed and agility of NMCI. Thank God there contract is up! Deployed we have a lot of Intra bandwidth, but not a lot of Inter.

That sucks. Hell, I'm so wired now-days, I have verizon Broadband Wifi that is 1.5 Mbps. I can't complain, I can be on a beach, getting full 512K VPN into the office. Not bad considering all I do is RDP to a server and work from there. It's like I'm at the console.

Select top 100 * from my.dbo.table inner join your.dbo.table

blah bla blah
    GO

Ha! Oop, I think I just crossed the geek threshold! I need to stop this thread. It hurts me to be so terribly nerdy when I'm not in the office.
  • timisw
    Options

LOL yeah. Side note, there aren't many more then 4 or 5 games out there that can utilize the setup I put out, never mind what you could put in a 3000 machine. Forget 4500, you'd have to plate the case in gold to make it cost that much. I love looking online at the alienware boxes. I mean c'mon! I priced one out with the same specs as I have (except using the Intel Quad core) and it's around $7000, that's just plain silly! I Have New G5 HP DL380 Servers that cost less then that!

A fully loaded Alienware Area 51 ALX Extreme is that much! And your paying for the name and someone to put it together!!!

http://www.alienware.com/products/area-51-alx-desktop.aspx?SysCode=PC-AREA51-ALX-R8&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Where to begin....

I've always been a gamer. Still have my Atari console systems from early childhood (yes, all three) and my Nintendo and such. I have a PS2 up here in Virginia while I'm at school and have brought all of my RPGs with me. Currently spending most of my time on Suikoden V although I also have Kingdom Hearts I & II here with me, FF X, X2, VII and Fullmetal Alchemist (which I got mostly because I love the anime). I LOVE GUITAR HERO! I am a musician at heart so anything like that rocks. Got my friend into DDR the other day at the arcade and I am also using games on the rehabilitation unit where I work for cognitive retraining and physical therapy.

I am actually developing a research protocol for the Nintendo DS using some of the current games to assess for neuropsychological changes following practice effects from gaming (oh my goodness....I'm such a nerd)

Old School RPGs...now we're talkin. :bigsmile:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options

A fully loaded Alienware Area 51 ALX Extreme is that much! And your paying for the name and someone to put it together!!!

http://www.alienware.com/products/area-51-alx-desktop.aspx?SysCode=PC-AREA51-ALX-R8&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

I used to build my own until I finally bought my first and only Alienware. It was nice to have the recognition, but this time around I had avadirect put my current rig together and they did it for only about 100 bucks more than I could have done it myself. It was worth it just to get a decent wiring job and none of the hassles of stabilizing an OC.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Where to begin....

Old School RPGs...now we're talkin. :bigsmile:

I just use MAME when I want to do old school. No need for all the crazy hardware.