Any gamers?

Options
123457»

Replies

• timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Old School RPGs...now we're talkin. :bigsmile:

I am thinking Commodore 64, VIC 20, Commodore SuperPet, TRS80s!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    lol, 4500$ would be for future proofing, water cooling, and HD cinema displays :)
    I'm hoping to get dual 27 inchers, or dual 30 inchers. Plus whatever klipsch's latest offering is in the THX realm so that alone would run in the area of 2k total. The nice thing is, good speakers and displays tend to be a buy-once-last-for-a-decade sort of thing.

Right now we're just getting started with ESX on a HP blade environment. The network planning is a nightmare so far because VMware has a different definition of what a vlan is vs. the rest of the world, plus the whole virtual switch thing is driving me a bit batty. A little bird gave me a copy of an ESX boot camp dvd set but I haven't had a chance/the willpower to sit through it.

As for Xen, I like it because I'm an OSS advocate bigtime. I doubt you'd have much of an issue with drivers, since most servers have linux drivers readily available - if it works with esx, it should work with Xen (esx is built on linux, doncha know). Sadly I doubt it works quite as nice. Plus, its hard to wow layer 8 types with open source when VMWare puts on such a nice dog and pony show!
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am actually developing a research protocol for the Nintendo DS using some of the current games to assess for neuropsychological changes following practice effects from gaming (oh my goodness....I'm such a nerd)

That is way cool, neurogirl! I also had the basic Atari (I think it was 2600) growing up, Pitfall was my favorite.

Geek girls FTW! :laugh:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    As for Xen, I like it because I'm an OSS advocate bigtime. I doubt you'd have much of an issue with drivers, since most servers have linux drivers readily available - if it works with esx, it should work with Xen (esx is built on linux, doncha know). Sadly I doubt it works quite as nice. Plus, its hard to wow layer 8 types with open source when VMWare puts on such a nice dog and pony show!

We haven't rolled anything out in production yet, but we just got the live migration working on some test boxes. It is SO COOL to migrate a running system from one piece of hardware to another with only a couple seconds of hang in your SSH window! The only piece that is missing for me is I haven't seen an easy way to migrate from a physical system to a paravirtualized guest (like VMWare's P2V). Fully virtualized shouldn't be a problem, but you need the virt support on the CPU and then you take more of the performance hits like you do with VMWare.

I don't do Windows, so I can't chime in much on that side of things. Not a fan of "Scarepoint". How do you like the HP blades? I worked with Red Hat on IBM blades awhile back, but kept running into weird firmware issues that would cause the things to hang so badly that I had to physically pull them out of the chassis and stick them back in. Yikes!

I guess I really shouldn't be surprised that a bunch of geeks would turn to technology to help them lose weight!!! :laugh:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Some nasty $150 case with some extra fans
    2 750 GB SATA 3 HD's Mirrored
    DVD RW with lightscribe

hmmm.... gaming platform with Mirrired hdd's? I think thats the server in you talking mate. Perfomance raid all the way...
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    ubuntu's pretty cool cp. Not bad for a light system. Does a great job with vmware server. I have that with a windows server 2003 running my web environment, and it does a great job. You'd never know it was a virtual if you didn't look.

as for a gaming rig, for 2500 bucks I could build you a machine that would rule the world.:devil:

I'd do this:

AMD Phenom X4 9850 CPU ( you can overclock it if you like, but it's already a mamoth CPU)
    ASUS M3A32-MVP Delux motherboard
    4 GB (2X 2GB) GSkill 1066 RAM
    Nasty Coolmaster heat synch
    Roswell 1000 W power
    Some nasty $150 case with some extra fans
    2 750 GB SATA 3 HD's Mirrored
    DVD RW with lightscribe
    if I have extra money (I will) Blue RAY player
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Sound card
    Dual Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX SLI video cards

Total cost - 2400 bucks.

that's without a monitor. But you could skimp on a few things and get away under 2000 and get a $400 24 inch wide screen LCD monitor too.

I used to be a huge AMD fan, but eventually I was seduced away by Intel. I love my new system though, good lord it's a beast.

Same with me... still on a dual core at the mo tho... had it a little while, the E6600