Greek Yogurt is sooooo yucky! What can I do to make it taste

Options
I am trying to eat Greek Yogurt because it is higher in protein.

I bought the Chobani with fruit on the bottom because it had a little more sugar than others and I thought it would taste better.

But...

YUCK!!!

I even added a little packet of sun crystals and that just didn't even help at all!!!

To me, the after taste was like having a stiff, dry goat cheese that missed its maturation mark.

I am sitting here trying to eat bites of it to get used to it, but...I...just...can't.

I read on the internet that it takes getting used to and is an acquired taste for someone who is used to eating American yogurt.

But let me tell you something.

Champagne is an acquired taste. Lamb is an acquired taste.

This stuff is NOT. It is pain on wheels.

The initial taste is not terrible. But I just can't get over the after taste. Ugh!

Replies

• petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda with you on that...not big on yogurt...I quite like savory Greek yogurt dip so with olive oil, garlic, herbs and such...

but if it's to sweeten it up, I use honey...helps with the taste...so chopped walnuts and honey, that's how I used to do it..
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    Fruit (esp berries) and honey......makes a low cal desert!!!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Try blending it into a smoothie with other fruit and a little skim milk. Might make it taste better, while still getting the extra protein?

I mix 3/4 cup skim milk, ice, chocolate whey protein, and plain greek yogurt. Sometimes I will add an extra tablespoon of hot coccoa mix to it. YUM just like a thick chocolate shake!
  • kanne72
    Options
    I put in in the blender with berrys and a bit of honey...delicious!
  • kristi1980
    Options
    My favorite Greek Yogurt is the Trader Joe's Mango & Apricot! If you don't like that one, then Greek Yogurt really is not for you ;)
  • kristi1980
    Options
    My favorite Greek Yogurt is the Trader Joe's Mango & Apricot! If you don't like that one, then Greek Yogurt really is not for you ;)
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hmmm Greek Yogurt comes up alot around here but I have never heard anyone saying how horrible it is... On the other hand, I have never had the kind you are eating so it may well be "yucky". All I can tell you is that my ABSOLUTE favorite is Greek Gods Honey flavored, dont worry it doesnt taste like honey at all... Its so rich and creamy its almost like icecream... But it is a bit high in calories so just watch that. They have a new honey-strawberry flavor I cant wait to try!!!

Now if your into the plain stuff for making dips or using it in place of sour cream, go for the Fage Total 0% plain greek yogurt, only 90 cals in 6oz.

P.S. I have NEVER been big on yogurt with fruit on the bottom (or that you have to mix in) maybe thats why its gross...
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Try getting the 2% plain, and adding your own fruit, honey, etc. It has a creamier flavor to it. Or, try the Fage greek yogurt, it doesn't have the aftertaste that the chobani has.
  • alexj8403
    Options
    I LOVE it!! I usually mix it with granola :)
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    oooo I only eat greek yogurt....I like fage, brown cow, oikos they all have flavors in many of theirs. have not tried trader joes yet.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I.HATE.GREEK.YOGURT.

I think Greek yogurt is the ONLY food that I refuse to eat........ I have tried it every way imaginable, even in place of sour cream.

My vote: There is no hope.
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like the Fage yogurt (nonfat or 2%) with some bran buds (kellogs fiber cereal - adds great texture) and a packet of splenda. It definitely needs the sweet =)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't like Greek yogurt by itself either. The texture is gross and it just doesn't taste good. I add it to my breakfast smoothies for a little protein. You can also use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream in burritos or potatoes.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat Greek Yogurt because it is higher in protein.

I bought the Chobani with fruit on the bottom because it had a little more sugar than others and I thought it would taste better.

1- if you don't like it, don't push it. If it's not for you, its not for you

2- If you do want to keep trying it :I really hate the fruit on the bottom Chobani (exept pomegranite) But I cannot live without the honey flavor. You could give that a try.

3- Try not to think of it as yogurt- think of it as a cheese snack and eat in little doses for a while. I actually used to add a little lemon juice- instead of trying to trying to sweeten adjust your mind to it as a savory food, not a sweet one.
  • SoonToBeNewTracey
    Options
    Try either Oikos or Fage brands. I like them MUCH better than the other brands I have tried. Oikos has one with honey in the bottom and you mix it in - YUM! However, I like all kinds of yogurt. I have told friends of mine that if you're not a yogurt fan to begin with, Greek yogurt is probably not for you.
    Good luck to you!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I like it. It is what it is.

If I didn't like it I wouldn't make my life a misery trying to force it down. Just find an alternative.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Chobani is one of the yuckier brands :( Also, if you are expecting it to taste like regular yogurt you will never like it. I think it tasted more like sour cream than yogurt. I use it in savory stuff instead of sour cream, like ranch dressing and dips. Try a couple different brands, because I have found a big difference between the way each kind tastes.
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I add a Sweet'n Low to mine. I also like to have it with a lot of fresh berries. Straight up is still too much for me to handle.

I discoved green smoothies yesterday while 'wandering' on here. I added 1/2 a container to the smoothie I made this morning. Just another way to hide it in something.

The honey & walnuts sound good too.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    My mother in law used some as a replacement for sour cream on stuffed peppers. I wouldn't have know if she hadn't told me.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    We're alllll different. I never acquired a teste for champagne, or lamb, and as for caviar... YUCK!!!

But for me Greek yogurt was love at first tastebud. I can eat the fat-free Chobani plain and be quite happy.

I have it almost every morning with fresh strawberries, blueberries, a bit of granola, raw salt-free pecans/walnuts, and sometimes a smidge of high cocoa organic chocolate. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I didn't have enough time to prep that breakfast this morning and missed it horribly :(

Maybe try it with fruit and other goodies like I do. But if you can't find a way that you actually like it, maybe it's just not right for you. Like caviar is so wrong for me, lol.